3p606NT vs, PH g5

mikedock

Buck Fawn
I currently have a 606NT and it's not the easiest to transport. Two farms are 3 hours away and I'm looking for something more mobile. I have a tractor at Each location and 20 acres plus of plots. L6060 & M4-071.

What drill would you suggest?

Why do you think one would be easier to transport vs the other? They're about the same size.

606NT - with wheels Transport Width is 8'10"
3P606NT is 6'5"
PG G5 is 6'2"

I've got to pick the drill up with slings and lay sideways on my trailer. PIA

606NT - with wheels Transport Width is 8'10"
3P606NT is 6'5"
PG G5 is 6'2"
Oops, didn't realize you didn't have the 3PT GP model. I admin/started an RTP Genesis user group on Facebook a few years ago. This question comes up sporadically. They're pretty similar overall. Most of the responses generally come down to budget, familiarity with the platform, etc. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Making some assumptions here. Not sure if the tractors are equal size (lift capacity?) at both locations? If I only had to travel 3 miles......I believe I would go with a 3 point mounted drill......and simply drive those few miles with the tractor it's attached to. Do you need the No-till coulters? Some of us with sandy soils are able to use a min-till drill......but you may have tougher soils? 20 acres with a six foot drill seems reasonable to me.

EDIT: One other thing of interest to me.......is IF anyone makes a real low-slung trailer that would allow easy "side-ways" transport of your current drill. It may be more economical to come up with a trailer like said here to move the drill. I realize the PITA situation moving a drill could be.

The G-5 is going to be easier to deal with putting on and off a trailer just because it's significantly more compact than a 3p606. I also really like how they have the built in stand legs for the drill to stand on when disconnected. I don't think the 3p606 has anything like that (at least my 3p600 doesn't) so there ends up being a lot of weight on the drive wheel and it doesn't sit very level. Not ideal IMO.

My opinion on the 2 drills (having not used either) is the 3p606 has a much better setup for coulters (if you desire them), doesn't rape you $$ to add a small seed box (if you find one beneficial) and I'm not sure where a small seed box on g-5 even drops seed? If you don't care to have coulters or a small (or native grass) seedbox, I like the G-5 design.

This is a good comparison video although the two configurations are not apples to apples. I thought i heard that PH had updated the crappy closing wheel bearing design and beefed up the row units a bit on the new drills compared to the genesis in this video. The native box makes the great plains a fair bit bulkier/heavier too.

Last edited:
^ I have also read that the Genesis disk openers are not up to the challenge on some folks ground. Not sure if they have been upgraded? Dunno. Not sure if its the temper or the thickness.....but they seem to be more easily damaged. Saw one guy had a headache with replacement. To me.....NOT having a small seed box would be a real game changer. Also I beleive the GP has a superior seed delivery set-up. I have never owned or operated a Genesis. Seems they both have lots of happy owners.

The G-5 is going to be easier to deal with putting on and off a trailer just because it's significantly more compact than a 3p606. I also really like how they have the built in stand legs for the drill to stand on when disconnected. I don't think the 3p606 has anything like that (at least my 3p600 doesn't) so there ends up being a lot of weight on the drive wheel and it doesn't sit very level. Not ideal IMO.

My opinion on the 2 drills (having not used either) is the 3p606 has a much better setup for coulters (if you desire them), doesn't rape you $$ to add a small seed box (if you find one beneficial) and I'm not sure where a small seed box on g-5 even drops seed? If you don't care to have coulters or a small (or native grass) seedbox, I like the G-5 design.

This is a good comparison video although the two configurations are not apples to apples. I thought i heard that PH had updated the crappy closing wheel bearing design and beefed up the row units a bit on the new drills compared to the genesis in this video. The native box makes the great plains a fair bit bulkier/heavier too.
The GP doesn't need legs or stands. It ain't going anywhere.

The GP doesn't need legs or stands. It ain't going anywhere.
Agreed, my 3p600 sits perfectly level on the drive wheel. Pretty handy not to mess with legs or stands compared to other planters/equipment I've had.

Agreed, my 3p600 sits perfectly level on the drive wheel. Pretty handy not to mess with legs or stands compared to other planters/equipment I've had.
I modified a rolling platform truck to hold my drill....and installed a few blocks on the platform to keep my drill from rolling. Thus I can disconnect it from my tractor and roll it to anywhere in my pole shed. Also easier to hook up. Would have no need for those legs.....but at one time I thought they were slick.

I rented a NWSG drill from FSA and the trailer they used you backed up to it and it loaded from the side.If you did this then you could load and unload with tractor and no slings

Huh. Mine leans forward a bit to where lots of the closing wheels are floating. Just heard of issues with flat tires and liked the idea of all that weight not sitting on the tire all the time but sounds like a non issue.

Did you do any test runs with yours at all or was everything frozen when you took delivery? I’m not sold on keeping mine yet over my little esch..

Huh. Mine leans forward a bit to where lots of the closing wheels are floating. Just heard of issues with flat tires and liked the idea of all that weight not sitting on the tire all the time but sounds like a non issue.

Did you do any test runs with yours at all or was everything frozen when you took delivery? I’m not sold on keeping mine yet over my little esch..
I didn't do anything with mine other that look it over and move it inside. It'll be spring before I do any messing with it. Still unsure of what I'll use it for first. Most of my plots other than the corn have crimson and rye that hopefully come back this spring and I'll likely let them do their thing for a while.

^ I have also read that the Genesis disk openers are not up to the challenge on some folks ground. Not sure if they have been upgraded? Dunno. Not sure if its the temper or the thickness.....but they seem to be more easily damaged. Saw one guy had a headache with replacement. To me.....NOT having a small seed box would be a real game changer. Also I beleive the GP has a superior seed delivery set-up. I have never owned or operated a Genesis. Seems they both have lots of happy owners.
I haven't seen many complaints about the openers. There was an issue with a D shackle on some of the RTP drills that has been updated on the PH drills.

Regarding small seed box, as a G3 owner, I don't think it's necessary, unless you have a very specific need for it.

I haven't seen many complaints about the openers. There was an issue with a D shackle on some of the RTP drills that has been updated on the PH drills.

Regarding small seed box, as a G3 owner, I don't think it's necessary, unless you have a very specific need for it.
Each fall I put down 100+ lbs of Winter Rye / acre.....and about 12 lbs of a mix of clovers and brassica. Pretty hard to combine those seeds into one hopper and evenly dropped (and they need to be at somewhat different depths too). IMO. I suppose I could do two passes....but why?

Each fall I put down 100+ lbs of Winter Rye / acre.....and about 12 lbs of a mix of clovers and brassica. Pretty hard to combine those seeds into one hopper and evenly dropped (and they need to be at somewhat different depths too). IMO. I suppose I could do two passes....but why?
I've drilled similar diverse mixes, such as the Green Cover blends with our Genesis, with very good success. Is my germination rate as good as possible, probably not, but the plots look great. The smaller seeds don't settle out. The chosen seed depth is a compromise, but the deer don't mind. If you really want a small seed box, it's there, but I don't find it necessary.

Would be really interesting to see comparison in the same ground with big seeds drilled to ideal depth and small seeds from a small box vs all in one at a compromise depth. Bet there is not a notable difference in some ground, in some years, but bet with certain ground and certain weather conditions it helps to get the bigger seeds covered a bit deeper.

I've drilled similar diverse mixes, such as the Green Cover blends with our Genesis, with very good success. Is my germination rate as good as possible, probably not, but the plots look great. The smaller seeds don't settle out. The chosen seed depth is a compromise, but the deer don't mind. If you really want a small seed box, it's there, but I don't find it necessary.
I realize I can buy mixed rye and clover and brassica. But I mostly buy my cereal rye where I can get the best deal and then mix my own brassica and clovers for the small box. I plant about 1400 lbs of rye like this.....and shipping will cost me allot of money from Green Cover. BT/DT. So now I blend my own small seeds........and drill the rye at about 1" and follow with the small seeds which at worst are on top of the rye.....and mostly the rye is covered somewhat with soil before the brassica and clover is dropped. Does the germination vary? Dunno. I do like the seed drop and flap to cover set up the Great Plains drills offer.

Even my Tar River drill had two seed boxes and two metering systems to better regulate the amount of small seeds vs large seeds. Easier to tweak various rates and change seeds for different plots too.....IMO

I am sure I could be happy with a Genesis drill too......and nearly bought one - twice. But I largely chose the GP drill based on the small seed box, price, and the seed tube system. Gotta stay with the girl you brung to the dance. Grin.

Can't imagine paying the money these drills cost without a small seed box. I plant upwards of 7 seed mixes, at times, large and small. I plant clover, with a grain cover crop, etc. No way to do it right with one seed box, IMO.