24d traits in non24d trait certified beans

willy

5 year old buck +
I've noticed the past couple years when I have spot sprayed 24d in my bean fields that the beans were set back but then came out well after a couple weeks. They were over sprayed heavily when I targeted the marestail and waterhemp growing in them. Some were hit lightly but some took a bath., the vast majority of the beans hit turned out just fine.

These beans are not the enlist variety.

I had this conversation with a friend of mine who is a farmer and he has noticed the same thing when he sprays his terraces for trees and broadleaves. It has minimal impact on his soybeans. He believes that beans today have developed a 24d resistance or most seeds have the trait but not labeled as such. He is going to use enlist beans next year for his entire farm but he firmly believes 24d impact on beans is not what it once was.

I believe one can get away with spot spraying 24d in one's soybean plots reqardless of stated 24d traits or not. I run a good preemergent program but there are always some late flushes of the above mentioned weeds. Spot spraying, if one has the time is a very economical way to keep bean plots clean.

Just some observations that perhaps those that have beans and broadleaf issues might want to try this. Remember, they are plots not income providers so one can lose a bit of beans. The weed control will ultimately pay off in future years.

I've noticed the same as you. I bought enlist beans this year to control weeds in two new areas that I'm planting...However I had some volunteer beans come back pretty thick in a plot from last year that were strictly roundup ready variety, I sprayed them with roundup and 2,4D in one area to plant corn and the beans were only stunted. They are about 3" shorter than the other volunteer beans that haven't seen 2,4D but otherwise look perfectly healthy. I always use a light dose of 2,4D with glyphosate just to take out the marestail and pigweed (one pint per acre).

An old timer who’s gone now told me they used to spray 2,4D-b on beans years ago and it would curl them but they would bounce back. So it makes sense.

But start small just in case…..