2015 Velvet Bucks and Bear

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
this guy is looking pretty good for mid-june

this guy also some interesting things going on around the burrs/brows

Nice up and comer

thankfully this guy did not mess with the camera....looks to be a pretty good sized bruin.

Nice! I love a good bear pic! I haven't suffered any bear damage yet, so I've gotta enjoy it until we become adversaries. Those bucks look good too. We haven't seen antlers that far grown yet.

Is it hard to get a bear tag in pa? I've seen some slobs shot out there.

Nice! I love a good bear pic! I haven't suffered any bear damage yet, so I've gotta enjoy it until we become adversaries. Those bucks look good too. We haven't seen antlers that far grown yet.

Last year was a bad year for bear related camera damage. I had a camera in the same spot as the pic with the bear in it above. the camera is mounted to a tee post because there isnt a suitable tree in that corner of the plot that is close enough to get pics at the waterhole.....a sow and her yearling cubs repeatedly knocked it over. luckily they didnt seriously damage the unit. Last spring a bear chewed one of my cams at the mineral rock site. he put a good hole in the PIR sensor cover that compromised its weather resistance. I patched it up with some gorilla glue. But the gorilla realeased some sort of gas as it set and fogged up the inside of the lense cover a little.

Phil - I made a trail of peanut-butter crackers from our camp over to your place. You should see what's following !!!!:D

Good pix tho.

Is it hard to get a bear tag in pa? I've seen some slobs shot out there.
Nope...over the counter. We have HUGE bodied bears....and lots of them. No spring season, no bait, no dogs. Depending on the WMU hunters have 5 days of archery only in November, 4 days of firearms regular bear season (the 4 days prior to thanksgiving), and then extended firearms season concurrent with the first 6 days of firearms deer season (starts the Monday after thanksgiving). Some friends of mine have a solid crew of 15 to 20 guys and they do some serious drives during the 4 day regular firearms bear season. There is only one of their guys that hasn't killed at least one bear yet. 3 yrs ago my friend killed a 581, two years before that he killed a 357. They have several 400-500lbers to their credit and ton of 200-400lbers.

Edit
12 of the top 20 B&C skulls have come from PA. Number 8 came from my county. The current number 2 in the world is from PA and it is only in second place by 1/16th of an inch.

Last edited:
Phil - I made a trail of peanut-butter crackers from our camp over to your place. You should see what's following !!!!:D

Good pix tho.

I'll make a back trail of bacon grease and stale doughnuts.....they'll be back to your place just in time for archery season to open..lol

TOUCHE' Phil !!!! You can keep him, tho - we like to share !! Bacon grease..............

TOUCHE' Phil !!!! You can keep him, tho - we like to share !! Bacon grease..............
haha! the stale doughnuts that D&D throws out are what the WCO in my area uses to bait his culvert traps. this time of year he makes the rounds to the closest D&D's and picks up boxes full.

Phil,

Has PA always had shorter seasons for bear? Seems like you guys could use a little longer season? NH has a 3 week baiting season (no advance baiting) and a 2.5-3 month still hunting season. And we have a hound season. With all that we still have too many bear for me. I'm saving up bacon grease for September 1.

we have more bear hunting days now than at any other point in the past that i can remember. when i was growing up the 80's and into the 90's bear season was the 3 days before Thanksgiving and that was it. I guess the PGC relies mainly on the fact that we have a HUGE amount of hunters in PA. But i feel like we could easily have parts of the state that could have double to even triple the number of bear hunting days and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

With less and less young hunters coming into the ranks, the % of older hunters not capable of driving and beating the brush has risen. Even for deer hunting. Despite being in one of the top 2 or 3 counties for bear in Pa., very few shots are heard around the area of my camp each year. Yet every year we see loads of bear all year long. Too many. Many guys aren't able to take days off like some years ago - job fear - and so a larger % of bear hunters are retired guys who can't get around so good. This is true of many of the camps near mine. Very few, if any, young guys there to hunt. Phil's right about more time to hunt bear here. We could stand more days to hunt - especially in Sept. when bears are still very active looking to fatten up for winter. We'd save some apples and cash crops too that way.

We sure aren't going to run out of bears. They're in the news all the time for prowling in cities and towns searching garbage cans, dumpsters, fruit trees, veg. gardens, bird feeders. Lots of news reports on the outskirts of Philadelphia and film of bears travelling thru housing developments and scaring folks. In the Phila. suburbs, its a real big deal when a bear is sighted. Cops, firemen, SPCA, Game Commission all show up with the news stations in tow. Those folks aren't used to seeing bears, but with numbers like we have here, the bears are gonna go SOMEWHERE !!! It's a riot to watch the news when there's a bear sighting in the 'burbs !!

Baiting is illegal here - any way, shape or form.