2014 Grafting Adventures of CrazyED

We love the AWH crabs at camp. Our Violi's is a slow producer, too, - but our Violi's is in a spot that doesn't get morning sun. It may be a victim of frosts hammering the blossoms on cold mornings. Kerr = good tree.
I planted Violi's, AWH, Winter Wildlife, and Trailman from SLN in 2016. All but the Violi's has produced. Coons destroyed my Trailman two years ago when it was full of fruit. Broke near every damn limb on me. But it rebounded last year and is looking like a tree again. WW and AWH have been really good heavy producers. I kept getting pics of a doe standing on her hind legs trying to get at the AWH fruit last fall so I figured I'd try one. It wasn't half bad.

WW and AWH have been really good heavy producers.
Same with us. The WW crab is our fastest & heaviest producer. We have 3 AWH and 4 WW crabs.

Where are you located, TenPoint??

Same with us. The WW crab is our fastest & heaviest producer. We have 3 AWH and 4 WW crabs.

Where are you located, TenPoint??
South central WI.

Whtetail crabs has a few winter wildlife crabs still for sale. Tempted to buy a few, but should let my arm rest up.

That guy making a the racket is the club's president. He has a honda pioneer, huge stereo system in it and tons of lights. It like a alien space ship going through the property at night. He beat the snot out of that thing up there. He had a few too many scotch n sodas and took it for a ride last year, ripped the control arm mounting tab off the frame. Somehow he got the insurance company to total the rig, got 8 grand in his hand and got to keep the pioneer. You get a little turned around up at camp, you just follow the shiny rocks home. Aluminum belly pan scrapes everywhere.

More of a party club than anything else. Luckily the weekend before open rifle is muzzleloader, quieter situation. Most years I have it myself. Added bonus is I shoot traditional flintlocks at local competitive shoots. Usually 3rd week in October.

Took the wife to cape may NJ for a few days, just came back late monday. My antonovka's look like 18 for 18. All of them zone 3 friendly stuff too.

Whtetail crabs has a few winter wildlife crabs still for sale. Tempted to buy a few, but should let my arm rest up.

That guy making a the racket is the club's president. He has a honda pioneer, huge stereo system in it and tons of lights. It like a alien space ship going through the property at night. He beat the snot out of that thing up there. He had a few too many scotch n sodas and took it for a ride last year, ripped the control arm mounting tab off the frame. Somehow he got the insurance company to total the rig, got 8 grand in his hand and got to keep the pioneer. You get a little turned around up at camp, you just follow the shiny rocks home. Aluminum belly pan scrapes everywhere.

More of a party club than anything else. Luckily the weekend before open rifle is muzzleloader, quieter situation. Most years I have it myself. Added bonus is I shoot traditional flintlocks at local competitive shoots. Usually 3rd week in October.

Took the wife to cape may NJ for a few days, just came back late monday. My antonovka's look like 18 for 18. All of them zone 3 friendly stuff too.
Where do you see that? I’ve only ever seen Winter Wildlife at SLN.

they call it winter gold. assuming the winter varieties are all similar.

they call it winter gold. assuming the winter varieties are all similar.

Winter wildlife is definitely not winter gold. I think winter wildlife is just an SLN variety. Winter Wildlife has been a prolific producer for me. I planted a winter gold last year. They are supposed to be a smaller yellow crab.

I think winter wildlife is just an SLN variety. Winter Wildlife has been a prolific producer for me.
X2. ---- Love 'em. I've never seen WW crab listed anywhere else but SLN.

I had 4 failed grafts in my nursery from last yr. Chose to make them all Kerr last nt. Still have a bundle of Kerr scion if anyone wants it mailed.

wow, just read all 37 pages of this thread. Crazy to see Ed (or Matt's) journey from building the nursery and doing some grafts to huge tubs of apples and scaling down after a couple hundred trees in the ground. I did my first grafts of my life this summer on persimmon and I think I am hooked... Where does a guy get a hold of some cheap, sturdy, apple rootstock for grafting next season?

wow, just read all 37 pages of this thread. Crazy to see Ed (or Matt's) journey from building the nursery and doing some grafts to huge tubs of apples and scaling down after a couple hundred trees in the ground. I did my first grafts of my life this summer on persimmon and I think I am hooked... Where does a guy get a hold of some cheap, sturdy, apple rootstock for grafting next season?

Cummins Nursery is one place to look.

Better order now because Cummins usually sells out the larger Root stocks like B118 early

Better order now because Cummins usually sells out the larger Root stocks like B118 early

I looked and it said September for ordering?

BTW, does anyone know what the wild crabapples from Blue Hill are? I have 4 in the ground and they are growing like crazy! I was wondering if I should graft them or if they will produce a decent sized crab?

They are seedlings I'm guessing. Wait til they produce. If you don't like them, you can graft something else onto them.

BTW, does anyone know what the wild crabapples from Blue Hill are? I have 4 in the ground and they are growing like crazy! I was wondering if I should graft them or if they will produce a decent sized crab?
He sells trees that are often named.

39th parallel has rootstocks. Saint LAwrnece Nurseries has rootstock too, antonovka. https://www.mehrabyannursery.com/ has severla types of rootstock.

sometimes buying pre grafted trees are worth it. Most vendors give you 2 or 3 years heasttart over rootstocks.

If you are looking for 100+ CopenHaven Farms are really good. I've order from them and split orders with others, it's been nice stuff.