2013 season survivors

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
I was lucky to have quite a few bucks make it through the 2013/14 season. There are a couple I'm hoping to keep tabs on this summer!

I call this guy Glendel because of the striking resembelence to the Glendel buck target in my back yard! haha!

this is the second year of getting pics of this buck. he mainly shows up at my property after season has ended (this year he made a few appearances before seasons had ended but infrequently). He sticks around for a 2-3 months and then disappears about the beginning of march....and i have yet to find a shed from him. I'm hoping he might make an appearance or two during early archery season if nothing else!

what does everyone think age/score? I have plenty more pics of him if needed.

That is a beautiful deer. Some side pics would make it easier to age.

Nice buck. Hard to age with winter pics but he is at least 4 1/2 years old. Rough guess of 144.

Any pics from the first year you saw him? I'm not very good at this but I'll throw a guesstimate out there. 3 1/2 - 4 1/2. You've got to admit that this is one thing Captain Duff was good at o_O.

Any pics from the first year you saw him? I'm not very good at this but I'll throw a guesstimate out there. 3 1/2 - 4 1/2. You've got to admit that this is one thing Captain Duff was good at o_O.
yeah....i have pics from the first year...burried in photobucket! On the other site i was always hoping Duffy would chime in on age score pics!

here is a side by comparison from 2012/2013 on the left. 2013/2014 on the right.

I have been operating under the assumption that 2012/13 he was a 3 yr old and 2013/14 he was a 4 yr old.

here are a few more from 2012/13

I agree - a 4 year old now. Great deer. I'm not much into scoring, but surely mid 140s.

I agree - a 4 year old now. Great deer. I'm not much into scoring, but surely mid 140s.
thanks native! I am pretty thrilled with the prospect of having a 5 yr old on "the block" this year. I know of another buck, that is most likely a 6 yr old this yr. I have never had bucks older than 4 yrs around that I could confirm!

thanks native! I am pretty thrilled with the prospect of having a 5 yr old on "the block" this year. I know of another buck, that is most likely a 6 yr old this yr. I have never had bucks older than 4 yrs around that I could confirm!

Yep, its an exciting feeling. For the first time last year I had 2 bucks 5 or older on my place in hunting season. Its all about having an area they want to be in and girlfriends, cover and low pressure are the top 3 key ingredients IMHO. For a small property owner the low pressure is the hardest part, because anything going on nearby will affect you whether its on your property or not. I'm hoping this year is as good as last year here.

Good luck with your hunting!

Yep, its an exciting feeling. For the first time last year I had 2 bucks 5 or older on my place in hunting season. Its all about having an area they want to be in and girlfriends, cover and low pressure are the top 3 key ingredients IMHO. For a small property owner the low pressure is the hardest part, because anything going on nearby will affect you whether its on your property or not. I'm hoping this year is as good as last year here.

Good luck with your hunting!

yeah....try keeping pressure down on 10 acres...lol! So far so good on the neighboring pressure....I'm also close to town which causes a lot of people to over look the area.....if they only knew! you can see the town lights in my trail cam pics! I only have one stand, i have almost perfect ingress/egress, mornings are best, any wind with more west than anything else is a go, thermals combined with prevailing winds keep me from getting winded, I accepted the fact that I will only get a handful of sits on my property per year so i don't go until conditions are just right. I have other properties to hunt.....but i love nothing more than getting it done on the home turf!

yeah....try keeping pressure down on 10 acres...lol! So far so good on the neighboring pressure....I'm also close to town which causes a lot of people to over look the area.....if they only knew! you can see the town lights in my trail cam pics! I only have one stand, i have almost perfect ingress/egress, mornings are best, any wind with more west than anything else is a go, thermals combined with prevailing winds keep me from getting winded, I accepted the fact that I will only get a handful of sits on my property per year so i don't go until conditions are just right. I have other properties to hunt.....but i love nothing more than getting it done on the home turf!

Yep, I would rather have 10 acres in the right place than 500 in the wrong place. All those factors you mention are mighty important. And, some of the best hunting property around this area is the overlooked places like you mention.

I thought those looked like city lights in the first set of photos but wasn't sure. That's cool!!

I thought those looked like city lights in the first set of photos but wasn't sure. That's cool!!

i guess you could call them city lights! its a town of about 600 residents...and maybe 75-100 of them live right in town! the town has the only traffic light in the entire county! if i shifted the camera a few degrees left or right there might not be any 'city lights" in the frame lol! its as close to "suburban" deer hunting as i've seen out here in East Bumble. As a result of the natural gas industry the two gas station/convenience stores down town stay up open 24 hrs now resulting in more lights downtown.

Yep, I would rather have 10 acres in the right place than 500 in the wrong place. All those factors you mention are mighty important. And, some of the best hunting property around this area is the overlooked places like you mention.

Damn right on the right ten! It took some work...but my 10 had potential to begin with. I feel like i still have about 5 yrs before the majority of the components are in place to make it a real killer spot in every sense of the word!

here are a few more that made it through the hunting season. hoping to see these guys through the summer and come fall!

Great looking deer ! I would say he is mature and if you like him he is big enough. Looks like you have the right 10 acres. Those city deer always get big. Ha

Great looking deer ! I would say he is mature and if you like him he is big enough. Looks like you have the right 10 acres. Those city deer always get big. Ha
Yeah he is on the "short list" for sure. Hopefully this year he shows up more during hunting season....and during the day! I have never gotten a pic of him in daylight!

How did you train those PA deer to eat snow ? I'm in MN we have plenty of that white stuff. Ha..... With pic. Like you have It's going to be like a kid staring at that big wrapped present before Christmas. I hope you can get a crack at him next fall.

How did you train those PA deer to eat snow ? I'm in MN we have plenty of that white stuff. Ha..... With pic. Like you have It's going to be like a kid staring at that big wrapped present before Christmas. I hope you can get a crack at him next fall.

Its really easy....shell corn. there wasn't much left of my brassica plot after late December so i spread some shell corn around the plot periodically.

I hope that Glendel (the big typical 10 pt) or the buck whose sheds i'm holding in my signature pic show up and give me a crack this year!