2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
It took me a while to go back and compile this but got some satisfaction in doing it. This is only the second time I've been able to do this (4 years of history) on a buck we harvested from my farm. Taking a mature deer and playing some small part in getting him there is my primary management goal, so any glimmer of success helps keep me motivated.

This was a strange deer in terms of his pattern. He only spent December through March on my place historically. He appeared each year at the second rut in early December but disappeared in late spring. He made an exception this year and followed a doe into the place in November while we were hunting.

Based on my trail camera pictures, I've aged son's buck this year at 5.5. Enjoy, and let me know if you agree with the age or not.

Keep in mind when looking at the body that all pics are post rut....

Last edited:
WOW! Congrats! Nice to seal the deal on a buck you've got history with.

Dang nice buck

Great buck and I would agree with 5.5

5.5 I agree. How many cameras do you run on your place?

5.5 I agree. How many cameras do you run on your place?

At one time I had as many as 16, but have cut back some this year as some cheap ones died. Probably have 12 running now.

Very cool!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

These are my favorite type posts! That's exciting that y'all got a bonus buck that wasn't a home boy! I had a lap top crash that had a bunch of pics of my brothers buck as a 3 an 4 yr old. Wish I had those pics to make a similiar post. I Need to start saving these precious buck pics on jump drives;)

Enjoy seeing the progression over consecutive seasons. Great satisfaction seeing a buck grow and get taken at maturity. Congratulations

Congrats! That's a beautiful looking deer!

That's a lot of history. Very cool to watch them grow. Congrats on the harvest!!

Are you going to send his incisor teeth to find out for sure?

I could agree with 5.5 but wouldn't be surprised if he was older. Pic 1 post rut I'd have a hard time telling you why he wasn't 3.5

Are you going to send his incisor teeth to find out for sure?

I could agree with 5.5 but wouldn't be surprised if he was older. Pic 1 post rut I'd have a hard time telling you why he wasn't 3.5

Thanks Bill. I also thought that a year older was another reasonable option. Whether 5.5 or 6.5 I would be very happy, so probably not going to send the teeth in.

PS: You will probably recall the funky racked deer I harvested last year. We all knew he was old, and my taxidermist was so intrigued that he got a state biologist to examine him too. They came to the conclusion that he was a minimum 6.5 and probably 7.5. I almost didn't get that deer mounted just because he wasn't a high scoring deer, but glad I did now. I love the unusual looks of the mount - just got it back a few days ago.

Native - You ought to build yourself a " man-cave " where you can display your trophies and stuff ..........

Last year's buck is just C-O-O-L !!! " Old man of the mountain " looking buck for sure. Great mount.

I do remember that dropping main beam. Nice mount.

Native - You ought to build yourself a " man-cave " where you can display your trophies and stuff ..........

Last year's buck is just C-O-O-L !!! " Old man of the mountain " looking buck for sure. Great mount.

Thanks man! I've been working on a cave for a while now. I call it a memory room. Getting a lot of old hunting and fishing pics from the past up on the wall, and really enjoy looking back at all the fun times. Hopefully with the habitat management we can add some more deer down the road.

Native - I was being sarcastic. :D ^^^ Like telling Bill Gates he ought to do something to earn a few bucks !! I saw other pix of your memory room a couple months back on another thread, so I knew you had one already. It's a dandy room you have going on there. I think you'll have other wall-hangers to decorate with given all the habitat work you've been doing. Save some wall space.

Native - I was being sarcastic. :D ^^^ Like telling Bill Gates he ought to do something to earn a few bucks !! I saw other pix of your memory room a couple months back on another thread, so I knew you had one already. It's a dandy room you have going on there. I think you'll have other wall-hangers to decorate with given all the habitat work you've been doing. Save some wall space.

LOL, yep, I had forgotten about that other thread. I will trade out turkey fans for deer heads if necessary. :D