20 Gauge Turkey Gun World Record Shot

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I've been competing in the NWTF World Still Target Championships this weekend. Me and another shooter tied with a joint new world record shot in the 20 Gauge stock turkey gun competition. This is off the shelf guns with off the shelf ammo. We both put 21 #6 pellets in a 3 inch circle at 40 yards to set a new record. Just thought I would share with you. I was using an Indian Creek Choke and he was using a Jebs.

Congrats

How many pellets are in a round?
I'm not minimizing your shooting ability, I'm not close to your shooting skills, but how much does the Choke/round itself contribute?

Congrats!

How many pellets are in a round?
I'm not minimizing your shooting ability, I'm not close to your shooting skills, but how much does the Choke/round itself contribute?

Roughly 297 pellets per 1.25 ounces in a 20 gauge. Hunters usually look at 10 inch circles, but the competition is set up for 3 inch circles to make it harder for the shooter to get the core in a small area while judging the wind. An average wind gust can move a pattern completely off the paper at times.

Lots of times we are putting more than 250 in a 10 inch circle when shooting 12 gauges.

The shell quality is the most important factor. A poor shell will not shoot well no matter how good the choke is. But, a good choke makes the difference in an average rig versus a great rig. The biggest part of this game is messing around with different chokes, guns and shells to come up with a winning combo.

The 12 gauge record is now at 58 pellets. I held it for a long time at 45, but its been broken twice since then. That's mainly because a new and better shell came out. We used to also shoot 12 gauge muzzleloader, but they finally stopped that class because of how it slowed the competition down so much. I held the record in that class (52) before it was ended. I guess that one will be hard to break now...LOL...

Congrats, never knew there was such a thing. I guess I should look into upgrading my turkey gun, a 12 ga slug barrel with no choke.

Congrats! Awesome shooting!

Great job Native !! Wouldn't want to be a turkey in your neck of the woods. I recall some pix you posted of turkeys working the strips you mowed with your tractor ?? With a food/cover laden property and shootin' like that, the Spring gob season should be pretty interesting !! Congrats, Native.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I remember those turkey pics you mentioned. The best thing I can do to help my spring turkey is mow big areas in my nwsgs about the end of February. My grasses are so thick they won't come in much unless you open it up some.

Congrats Native Hunter!

Is there a national competition for a Ruger 10/22 .22 competition? I think I may have tied that world record also, it's always just one. (numerous times) :)

congrats. Never heard of this, but it's cool.

Is there a national competition for a Ruger 10/22 .22 competition? I think I may have tied that world record also, it's always just one. (numerous times) :)

congrats. Never heard of this, but it's cool.

LOL, I think there is a championship for everything these days. I looked for Ruger 10/22 and found this:

That's cool. Congrats.

This contraption isn't mine, but was being used by a competitor. Thought you guys might like to see it and guess what it is.

That's one of two things as I see it.

1. It's the left handed smoke shifter we sent guys to pick up at the hardware store.

Or

2. The guy is keeping his barrel/gun warm with a solar unit.

Just a guess.

I don't know what it is but, if it was doing any good it seems everyone would have one.

Cool stuff, congrats!

Bill's second guess is right. Some people believe that a warm gun in cold weather shoots tighter. I can't prove it or disprove it. What I do know to be a fact is that shotguns will shoot tighter patterns in hot weather, but that has to do with the air being less dense. Three things affect that - air temp, barometric pressure and relative humidity. A Nascar Engineer can tell you more about all that than a shotgun shooter.

really neat. i love to see stuff like this.

quick funny story. At cabelas today with my son, 11. He loves to shoot. At one point we are in the gun room, he has a modern sporting rifle down from the cabinet on a bi-pod and is sprawled out like a sniper. My wife rounds the corner and my son yells. "THIS IS THE NEXT GUN I WANT!!" She gave me the look.. Classic!!

Here is a good 12 gauge target from this year. This should warm up a gobbler.

Some of the custom guns: