1st rd done of grafting complete.

What kind of grafts are you using? W&T or Cleft?

I typically do W&T for bench grafting but i'm running short on time this year so I might do more clefts which I find go much faster.

I did 7-10 W/Ts but they honestly usually piss me off. They are the most frustrating graft for me personally, i never get stuff to match up to where i feel comfortable wrapping it. I did mostly clefts.

I did more clefts this year then normal but a lot of my scionwood was very small caliper and it was easier to graft those as clefts.

BV, post # 362 - I tried W&T before different times and I can never get mine to look as " perfectly fitting " as the videos of instructions. I end up doing cleft grafts because I can get them tight-fitting BEFORE the grafting tape wraps. I wish I could get my W&T to fit seamlessly. It isn't for lack of trying !!!:emoji_frowning2:

BV, post # 362 - I tried W&T before different times and I can never get mine to look as " perfectly fitting " as the videos of instructions. I end up doing cleft grafts because I can get them tight-fitting BEFORE the grafting tape wraps. I wish I could get my W&T to fit seamlessly. It isn't for lack of trying !!!:emoji_frowning2:

I hear ya BNB, some folks are just good at it, i am NOT in the category. I did 3 saddles last year, those are hard too. :)

IMO W/T are pretty, but cleft graft is much faster for the majority of grafts unless the scion and rootstock has decent size and matches fairly close.

I did 33 w/t and 2 cleft this year. I cut myself badly first year. Bought cut-resistant glove for left hand and no longer afraid of w/t. When size mismatch, I use side of larger one.

Results tbd. Will probably be another week or two before they wake up.

I suppose I'm an oddball, probably not just in grafting either, but I try and w/t most everything. For some reason, lack of confidence, eyes going south, who knows, I am horrible at cleft grafts.
More often than not I can make an awfully pretty w/t plus I'm not doing as many as most. I may have done 50 or so this year give or take 10.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I have primarily done clefts but after reading these comments, I was probably 50/50 cleft and whip/tongue tonight. Not a lot of grafting this year. Did 15 on MM106 tonight. Have 6 B118 to pick up from Cummins next week.

Give or take 10? Lol.....

Arkansas boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started grafting with the cleft graft, have had good luck with it and stuck with it. I used to cut away from my body but now use the technique shown in this video
I've made a lot nicer cuts without a lot of "whittling" :emoji_flushed: this year. Finished 130+ grafts yesterday. Also "pulled the trigger" and bought a left-handed Tina knife this spring.

130 grafts? Who the heck is in the lead you or @CrazyEd this year? I got my butt kicked as I only got 40 rootstock and doing around 15 field grafts.

I sometimes feel like the poster child (except I'm an old gray haired guy) for grafter's anonymous. :emoji_anguished::emoji_astonished:
Grey haired lol? How'd you stay left handed at your age?
Down here they made you swap to right handed at my age, though it just makes things interesting.
I graft, shoot a rifle or shotgun right handed, cut a steak, shoot a pistol left handed. I can write with either though never as nice as my dad. His cursive should be in textbooks, if they still taught it.

Grey haired lol? How'd you stay left handed at your age?
Down here they made you swap to right handed at my age, though it just makes things interesting.
I graft, shoot a rifle or shotgun right handed, cut a steak, shoot a pistol left handed. I can write with either though never as nice as my dad. His cursive should be in textbooks, if they still taught it.

They must have realized that I was cursed to being a lefty for life. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I feel your pain Rick, I think thats part of the reason i don't cut well on W/T..

As of today I'm 100% on all my grafts as far as they have produced green growth. I know sometimes things look great and then they just die off for no reason but I'm with results so far. Also keep in mind I only did 15.

image.jpg
I have 2 grafts showing signs of life today after just grafting on Sunday.

Mine took almost 4 weeks to show any sign of life on scion but now about 18 of the 25 are breaking. Some have 3 and 4 buds breaking in same scion. Oh go lucky and had 2 fruit buds on 1 scion grrrrr lol. BV the Pinova has awakened

Planted my pears from Turkey Creek today and a few crab apples.

Old crab from the farm. Russet, a green, & a red.

Pears:
Gourmet
doc's
Manning miller
Seckel
Kieffer

Forgot to take pics, had help & was rushing.