1st post ever! How long will my plot last?

GloryDaysDesign

5 year old buck +
Just joined the forum, hello everyone!

I planted a 1/4 acre kill plot. The deer in my area have not really hit it yet, as of today 12/21.... We have just recently had a few good frosts and snow. It was planted on Sept. 1st. The maturity date says 60-80 days, so it should be ready to go, I would think. How long do you think a plot consisting of the following, will last, planted on a 1/4 acre, once the deer start to hit it? Let's say an average of 20-25 deer are in area. Attached is a picture.... I am hoping it looks healthy? This was taken about 40 days ago. IMG_2390.JPG

The blend consists of:
25% Berseem Clover
25% Crimson Clover
10% Forage Radish
10% Winfred Brassica
10% Rutabaga
10% Forage Turnip
10% Ethiopian Cabbage

1 week or less. Do you have a pic from 12/21. How much more growth did you get?
Welcome.

It will get you through the late archery/Flintlock season.

I think 20-25 deer could turn that 1/4 acre to dirt in a couple weeks if they wanted to. It really depends on what else is in the area for food and what they prefer.

Depends if they eat it. Most of the mass is brassicas. Some deer take some time to decide if they'll eat it. If they like it, it won't take long till it's gone.

I agree with above replies. Depends on different factors such as deer numbers, other food sources around , and if it's new to them sometimes it takes a few years for them to realize it's a good food source. 1/4 acre and 20-25 deer IMO , prob 3 weeks, max, and that's assuming there is browse and other good food source.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome!

with 25 deer your plot is done already....

20/25 deer in the "area" is too general of a statement to take a guess. Does that mean that two deer a night are eating it? No one knows. Its a nice plot and im sure the brassica portion got alot bigger since your pics.

What does your camera say the activity level is at? That will tell you how long it is going to last.

Last edited:
I am pulling the card this afternoon, stay tuned!!

Welcome to the forum.....as far as your plot goes it's going to depend on how your deer react to it. Some deer don't care for brassica (the big leafy stuff you have) while others will destroy it quickly. It will also depend on other food available to the deer and the location of your plot in relation to security cover and any hunting pressure you may be applying as well.

IF the deer have better, safer options your plot may see very little use. IF this is the only food around and the deer feel safe in this location - you may not have a plot left!

Many folks - myself included - tend to put plots where it is convenient for us and may or may not be the most advantageous to deer and as such will impact how and when the deer use the plot. Monitor the plot and make note of when your plot runs out of food and then use that information to determine if you need to A - plant something different next year and/or B - need to plant more or less next year. You mention this is a "kill plot" so you obviously would want it to provide food thru the duration of when you are planning to hunt.

I agree with j-bird 100 % but was too lazy to type that detailed of a thought on my phone :) Valid points.
I did a 1/4 acre bean field last year and people said it would be gone as soon as they find it. It actually provided valuable hunting for a month before they beat it up pretty good and our hunting pressure kept the deer from using that specific plot in daylight. That was 100 percent based on a poor location for the plot. Not that the food was gone.

How long has the blind been there? Deer in our area freak out when anything like that changes or is inserted around a food plot. We have set blinds up in the past and it has totally changed the deer's travel and eating pattern completely.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Blind has been there for months. Definitely need to brush it in more next year.

so this is a stupid question, but how do I know if it's getting eaten (beside trail cam photos)... Do they just eat the leafy section of these brasicas? Will it be eaten to the dirt?