12' Grain Drill 6" spacing $1200

I paid 150 bucks for my drill. What makes that one worth $1200 out of curiousity? That price seems high to me but I don't know a ton about them.

I don't have a clue what they're worth either. I know they get a small pile of gold for new fancy ones. I could swear there was somebody on this site that took a drill like this, cut it in half, and made two drills out of it. I think he sold one for more than he paid for the whole thing and got to keep his half.

It was prolly West Branch. Mine is an old steel wheel drill with double disc and 6" openings. I would think 4-500 would be a decent price on one but depends on how bad someone wants it.

It was, I went back and found it.

I see some decent deals occasionally on Craigslist for old drills, but I don't know enough about them to know if I would be buying a mechanically sound one or a pile of scrap metal. I don't really need one since I only plant an acre or two in small grains and stuff like brassicas and clovers, but I kind of want one anyway. I'm kind of cheap though, so I also realize it doesn't make much sense for me to spend much on something like that when I have decent luck using just a disk, drag, cultipacker and hand spreader. I'd probably break it the first time out and it would spend 20 years along my fenceline next to my pieces of random disk and drag sections that are on my fix up list.

I knew nothing about them either but my drill is now the most used piece of equiptment I own. This year I planted corn, beans, peas, sunflowers, rye and alfalfa/clover all with the drill. They are pretty slick and not hard to work on.

That is not the type of grain drill guys cut in half. You need a JD Van Brunt with rope pull for lift. They are already cut in half, all you need to do is unbolt them and add a tire to each half. like the one in this picture

van.PNG

Last edited:
Some old minneapolis Moline drills will work as well. That's what we used.

12' seems wide. We used a 10 ft and I think with the wheels the half drill was around 7.5' I think. 12' might end up being over 9, which is getting pretty wide for small food plots.

We are watching for other ones and will try a 3 pt to sell to foggy :).

12' seems wide. We used a 10 ft and I think with the wheels the half drill was around 7.5' I think. 12' might end up being over 9, which is getting pretty wide for small food plots.

We are watching for other ones and will try a 3 pt to sell to foggy :).

^ Unfortunately, that could work. o_O:eek: Geeze I love fooling with this stuff. Anyone want to buy a two-row planter? ;)

Seems to me......a problem for us small plot guys.....is that it requires allot of seed just to cover all the drop tubes and get the thing to work. Even the "small seed box" would take about 10 lbs just to function.....and you would need to add some by the time you planted a half-acre......no?

I have a 8' IH that needs a little TLC before I use it. Drop tubes and a couple of cups. My goal is to try and use it next spring if all goes well. Next year I would just plant Timothy as a test and if all goes well maybe soybeans the following year.

I think I paid $700 for mine. It has both seed boxes and is in good shape.

$1200 seems plenty for that unit. Seems like you don't see many units under 10' anymore.

Regarding grain drills......I assume the double disk openers are better than single blades. Can anyone with experience talk on this?

I get tempted to go "halves" on one of these....with someone that could do the conversion. Tooln? ;)

Seems to me......a problem for us small plot guys.....is that it requires allot of seed just to cover all the drop tubes and get the thing to work. Even the "small seed box" would take about 10 lbs just to function.....and you would need to add some by the time you planted a half-acre......no?
I've thought about that too. Couldn't a guy get inside the box and fashion some kind of insert to consolidate the seed vertically over the ones you want running?

I've thought about that too. Couldn't a guy get inside the box and fashion some kind of insert to consolidate the seed vertically over the ones you want running?
It would be nice to have funnels for each opening, it would require less seed spread throughout the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what a JD 12' looks like after cutting down and painting real pretty. Think my buddy spent about $1000 off CL for this now 6 fter . Some guy is known for these in NE WI and must put on CL occasionally. The 10 fters I see on CL are usually in the $800 range if left in shed most of its years, otherwise the ones parked outside seems cheaper and likely at least need tires.

DSC01316 (Small).JPG

I thought I had a find last weekend. Turns out its not a Van Brunt. Darn it. I saw the split in the green seed boxes on the front and got excited.

upload_2015-9-22_10-2-22.png

upload_2015-9-22_10-2-42.png