Your 2019 Projects&Plans

Complete TSI after recent clearcut
Enlarge food plot & plant apple trees along border
Finish pole shed
Plant Apple trees grafted 2 years ago
Track down additional varieties to graft for future

I’ll be planting mostly Arkansas Black, Fuji, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Winesap this year, plus some Dolgo seedlings. I’ll also be assessing what I can do to improve my mason bee habitat.

1. Take care of what I've already planted - (apple trees, honeyberries, elderberry, black currant, raspberries, mulberry)
2. Plant another dozen or so apple trees
3. Do some brush killing in middle of plot.
4. Enclose 2 blinds with windows
5. Plant food plots
6. Work on cabin - seal roof etc.

forgot an important one DUH!!

Putting in a two acre pollinator plot!

Last edited:
Prune apple trees, plant apple trees, move tree stands, put up a few more stands, hinge cut sanctuary, plant chestnut and spruce trees, cut wood and brush.

Starting another small orchard of about 10-12 apple and pear trees, planting about 500 spruce, pines, oaks and shrubs. Start my 3 trays of RM chestnuts and plant last years. I have 600 MG rhizomes ordered and I have them planned for screening and to add some more to an existing switch field, plant a 2 acre field to switch that I prepped last summer/fall and plant a switch screen around food plots.

I used to have long lists of what I was going to do.....

Not any more.
I'd like to build a few more boxes.
Plant some beans.
Hinge cut some stuff.
Prune a crab Apple.
Mow the clover and trails through the switch grass.
Put in more Miscanthus.
Clear my sidewalks.

I'll do some, weather and time permitting.

If I do "none" I ain't sweating it!
Less stress is better.....
Oh, don't get me wrong, there's no way my whole list is gonna happen. But a guy can dream.

I’ll be planting mostly Arkansas Black, Fuji, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Winesap this year, plus some Dolgo seedlings. I’ll also be assessing what I can do to improve my mason bee habitat.
The kids in my sons outdoor skills club made mason bee houses a few years ago. I was checking them out and there was quite a few that had bees using them. Plant a small plot of buckwheat and let it flower. I planted 2 quarter acre plots on my farm and wasn't able to get it disced down before it flowered. I don't know where they came from but the plots had hundreds if not a thousand of mason bees.

pollinators rule

bill

Being that this is only my second year on the place and I spent a good chunk of the first year working on the cottage, I have a lot of habitat work to do this year.

1. Cut an access trail around the lower 20 acres
2. Add more hinge cuts and increase the size of the ones I did last year
3. Spray Japanese stilt grass and re-seed with NWSG's
4. Expand my first food plot and add more security cover around it
5. Cut an opening for a new food plot on the lower 20
6. Build a walking bridge across the creek on the western side of the property to access stands on that side of the lower 20
7. Create some visual screening along access points to a couple of stands
8. Plant more fruit trees

All about the trees.

Moving some fruit trees from my nursery to the orchard.
Grafting 33 new varieties of apple, planting one of each in the orchard and two of each in the nursery.
Selling some year old trees from the nursery.
Planting 25 more american hazelnuts.
Starting to raise mason and leafcutter bees.
Adding more wildflowers and other beneficial perennials in the orchard.

1.) Plant and cage six 2nd year grafted apple trees still in pots (Ida Reds).
2.) Plant and cage three apples on M111 rootstocks - Arkansas Black, Enterprise, Galarina.
3.) Plant and cage two apples on a new rootstock from me - full size P.18 (Chestnut crab, Wickson crab)
4.) Log 60 arcres of timber.
5.) Hopefully purchase used tractor with bucket (30 horse range).
6.) whatever else comes to mind!

1) Continue to care for the 150 plus trees I currently manage for wildlife.
2) Replant Soybean, chicory, white and red clover, turnips, and oats on our cultivated fields.
3) Add 25 Franklin trees to my apple tree plots for wildlife projects with the expectations it will prove in due time as the main attraction for deer on my property.
4) Continue to provide free advice on the science of growing trees to the hundreds of customers I have had the good fortune to meet over the past 25 years.
Bill Mayo and Apple Trees, April 19, 2013 009.jpgfrom game camera pics will plant a greater amount of the Whitetail Institute Oats plus having found its astounding attraction to deer for all hunting seasons dating from October 1st until December 10th.

^^^^^^ Nice batch of trees for a rookie !! :emoji_wink:

2019 - lets see what I can list and hope that half gets done!
- clean up field buffers ( I have some filed buffers where the saplings have grown too large and need to be cut down to size)
- create and extend "deer path" (I need to extend a trial to better dictate deer movement)
- trim back elderberry to bring back to deer reach (I have several elderberry plants that have grown well out of the reach of the deer...they getting a hair cut)
- plant acorns and cuttings (I have some acorns and elderberry cuttings I want to plant to expand some more natural areas)
- reduce plotting area and increase permanent food area (I want to continue to reduce actual plotting acres and move toward browse species and mast production)
- I need to build at least one, really 2 shooting houses
- I need to continue my cedar tree transplant and MG road screen project
- I am sure I will watch the local retail stores for mast trees and plant a few....I just can;t help myself!
- I hope to expend my "franken tree" grafting experiment. (I had about 50% success last year so I want to take a bigger "bite" so to speak)
- there will be plotting in there as well

Like I said - if I get to half of these it will be a miracle! Need to make these nice weekends count!

You have a nursery, Appleman?

You have a nursery, Appleman?
I own a General Store and Commercial Orchard. I acquired my nursery (grafting) and orchard skills from a Quebec Grower. I started grafting trees about 25 years ago to sell as Wildlife Packages. As my apple tree sale business grew, I turned to commercial nurseries instead to supply me with the needed trees for my customers. I continued on for a number of years with my grafting skills, topworking trees for some of the local orchards to convert to more popular varieties. The cost break for purchasing larger quantities of trees allowed me to offer many varieties at an affordable price. I produce both sweet cider for sales at the store and experiment with making hard cider. I have often thought about starting up a nursery again, but the demands of our store business and orchard does not allow me the time and so looking forward to retirement in a couple of years. I still continue to sell apple trees in the spring in our region, at least for the time being.

1) Continue to care for the 150 plus trees I currently manage for wildlife.
2) Replant Soybean, chicory, white and red clover, turnips, and oats on our cultivated fields.
3) Add 25 Franklin trees to my apple tree plots for wildlife projects with the expectations it will prove in due time as the main attraction for deer on my property.
4) Continue to provide free advice on the science of growing trees to the hundreds of customers I have had the good fortune to meet over the past 25 years.
View attachment 22168from game camera pics will plant a greater amount of the Whitetail Institute Oats plus having found its astounding attraction to deer for all hunting seasons dating from October 1st until December 10th.

Are you only planting Franklin apples? Any reason? I see Starkbros speak very highly of it but no mention of FB resistance.

Are you only planting Franklin apples? Any reason? I see Starkbros speak very highly of it but no mention of FB resistance.
No, I plan on adding a few other varieties to the mix. So there are no hidden secrets here I hold the patent for the Franklin which is trademarked "Starks Franklin Cider" and registered at the United States Patent office as "Mayo" . https://patents.justia.com/patent/20170257992 . The Franklin has important use for the cider industry for its high sugar, high acid, and high tannins. When first introduced for blending a fine dry cider, won it a prestigious bronze medal at the 2017 World Cider Competition. It is the one and only time entered. https://www.starkbros.com/about/news/article/cider-apple-glintcap-medal . I can go on, bragging of a sort about the Franklin, but my main motivation brings me back to love of the outdoors and always planning ahead to next deer season. My goal from the start was to catalog and understand what varieties of apples would provide the highest level of sustainability and enhance my hunting opportunity. As an Orchardist and Cider Maker, the Franklin was a rare discovery but what fascinated me the most is its attraction it had on whitetails. This is why I continue to add the Franklin IMG_1795.JPGto my Apple Tree Plots for Wildlife. On the question of "FB resistance" most certainly it is. Stark Bros Nursery has reported back to me, after several years of test, that it has been found to be FB resistant which was added to the list of DR for Scab, Cedar Apple Rust, and Powdery Mildew.

Last edited:
Deer are especially drawn to Franklin too?

So much to do, so little time...
  1. Get a lime truck to lime larger fields, lime two smaller ones myself and make other soil amendments.
  2. Frost seed clover.
  3. Maintenance on existing fruit trees.
  4. Plant about 12 more apple, 1 Pear, few more chestnut, sawtooth, persimmon trees, and others...
  5. Plant spring and fall plots.
  6. Put up a gate and perhaps some barbed wire fencing.
  7. Hang a couple/few new stands.
  8. Get dozer out to open up a couple new trails, push out a new plot and put in a waterhole or two.
  9. Maybe put a culvert/tile in for drainage in one of the fields.