Your 2019 Projects&Plans

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Being the cusp of the new year what are you all planning for the new year?

I'm going to be adding American plums to the shrub strips for the first time along with adding more hazelnut/chokeberry/elderberry/winterberry/cranberry/snowberry/white pine to the strips.

I will also be grafting some new crab varieties to M111 and am going to try my hand at grafting some pears for the first time.

Food Plots:
This will be another (and hopefully) last year where my focus is on managing marestail. Rather than planting soybeans which have a narrow planting window for me, I plan to spray our spring plots with 24D Ester or Amine, allow the ground residual to dissipate, and then plant some combination of buckwheat and sunn hemp.

Winter Indoor Trees:
My primary focus this year will be on apples. I got 50 M111 rootstock from a wholesaler and am sending 15 to one of our forum members on Tuesday. Presuming that GRIN sends out scions on the normal schedule (govt shutdown?), I hope to graft indoors, let them callus in my cold room, and then bring them in and give them an early start under lights.

I've got a hand full of chestnuts from my Dunstan trees. I'd like to try a nut grafting experiment with seguins (see http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/seguin-chestnut-experiment-and-request.10336/), but if that doesn't work out, I'll just grow them out.

Spring Grafting:

I hope to graft more persimmons and apples in the field this spring. The apples were grown from seed and planted a few years ago. The persimmons are mostly male trees growing natively.

Controlled Burns:

Our bedding areas are ready for another burn. I hope to get those done this year. I also hope to take the controlled burner course and become certified this year.

Summer Tree Growing:

I'll be growing out all those apples grafted this winter in Rootbuilders on my deck this summer.

Fall Tree planting:

And planting them in the fall/winter.

Trail Camera Network:
I have some solar panels that need maintenance this year as well. Our pines are getting taller and starting to have more impact on signal levels between cameras. I need to do some repositioning of antennas and repeaters as well this coming year.

These are just coarse plans and I never get everything I want done!

Thanks,

Jack

Planting fruit trees and making more space to plant more fruit trees. For me and the animals. Apples, pears, and plums. I have to get them going so I can enjoy them ASAP. The deer can sleep where they want in the mean time. I want fruit trees.

More videos, Prof!!!

1. Hinge cut the sanctuary
2. lay down some trees to pinch deer to a point where they've previously had no funnel to pass one particular stand. Previously, they've just been entering the field 50 yards down wind and busting us
3. Lay a line of trees on the property line to keep the neighbor's buddy from sitting the line and guarding my food plots for me when i'm not there.(he was mad that I was on my property while he hunted, but somehow knew full well what I had planted in my food plot 300 yards from the property line.... hmmmm....)
4. Plant at least part of my food plots into something perennial so I don't kill myself every august when work is busy and life is busy and food plots are busy.
5. Frost seed/overseed some clover
6. See at least 1 of the 3 year olds we let walk this fall on the hoof as a 4 year old
7. Kill the biggest buck of my life.
8. Not poach it like that clown in Coshocton Ohio

Food Plots:
This will be another (and hopefully) last year where my focus is on managing marestail. Rather than planting soybeans which have a narrow planting window for me, I plan to spray our spring plots with 24D Ester or Amine, allow the ground residual to dissipate, and then plant some combination of buckwheat and sunn hemp.

Winter Indoor Trees:
My primary focus this year will be on apples. I got 50 M111 rootstock from a wholesaler and am sending 15 to one of our forum members on Tuesday. Presuming that GRIN sends out scions on the normal schedule (govt shutdown?), I hope to graft indoors, let them callus in my cold room, and then bring them in and give them an early start under lights.

I've got a hand full of chestnuts from my Dunstan trees. I'd like to try a nut grafting experiment with seguins (see http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/seguin-chestnut-experiment-and-request.10336/), but if that doesn't work out, I'll just grow them out.

Spring Grafting:

I hope to graft more persimmons and apples in the field this spring. The apples were grown from seed and planted a few years ago. The persimmons are mostly male trees growing natively.

Controlled Burns:

Our bedding areas are ready for another burn. I hope to get those done this year. I also hope to take the controlled burner course and become certified this year.

Summer Tree Growing:

I'll be growing out all those apples grafted this winter in Rootbuilders on my deck this summer.

Fall Tree planting:

And planting them in the fall/winter.

Trail Camera Network:
I have some solar panels that need maintenance this year as well. Our pines are getting taller and starting to have more impact on signal levels between cameras. I need to do some repositioning of antennas and repeaters as well this coming year.

These are just coarse plans and I never get everything I want done

Thanks,

Jack

I thought I remember you saying your marestail wasn't RR resistant? Ours laughs at 2,4-D too. Good luck, it's coming.

1. Prune apples & crabs in March.
2. Plant 2 apples and 2 crabs. A Chestnut crab will replace a Hyslop crab that a bear flattened.
3. Frost seed some red and white clover to thicken a couple plots.
4. Plant more Norway spruce and Balsam fir seedlings.
5. Plant 20 more rooted ROD & cage them.
6. Cut down more pitch pines and white pines to get more sunlight to an area of apple & crab trees. Area is set up for bow hunting.
7. Have a commercial lime truck hit our plots.
8. Graft a few late-hanging apples.
9. Hinge a few red maples in a cut area to get more browse and cover down to deer level.
10. Cut and treat stubs of tree-of-heaven with Garlon to kill them.
11. Fertilize apple trees, high bush cranberries, service berry shrubs, and young Washington hawthorn trees.
12. Plant about 6 or 8 more Washington hawthorns as an edge between a perennial food plot and some apple and crab trees.
13. Top some Norway spruce along an edge to force more branching to thicken them - better screen.
14. Saw down some young black birch in another area to get more sun to some spruce that need thickening.
15. Spray plots with cleth and/or light dose of gly to clean up weeds and grass. A couple plots need cleaning up.
16. Spray apples for bugs as needed.

I'll have help - I'm not a 1-man army at camp !!

Planting the below trees. No specific plans for the food plot and road system plot just yet. A lot depends on how the fall planting of cereal grains and clover does this spring. I’ll add a few hundred pounds of lime regardless.

2019 tree orders:

NWC:
3006-3
Droptine-3
Liberty-3
Enterprise-3

St. Lawrence:
Priscilla-1
Liberty-1
Freedom-1
Enterprise-1
Chestnut crab-1

Wildlife group:
Apples:
Dolgo crab x2
Transcendent crab x2
Arkansas black x2
Pears (one of each):
Arthur Ledbetter
Becton
Dixie Delight
Gate
Kiefer
Ms. Laneene
Harrows Delight
TS Hardy
Moonglow
Warren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have long lists of what I was going to do.....

Not any more.
I'd like to build a few more boxes.
Plant some beans.
Hinge cut some stuff.
Prune a crab Apple.
Mow the clover and trails through the switch grass.
Put in more Miscanthus.
Clear my sidewalks.

I'll do some, weather and time permitting.

If I do "none" I ain't sweating it!
Less stress is better.....

I want to clear about 1/4 acre that connects my plot orchard with the last 4 native trees that are on their own. That will give me room to plant about 10 more apples. I also have about 20 rootstock to graft that have been planted for 2-4 years.

I thought I remember you saying your marestail wasn't RR resistant? Ours laughs at 2,4-D too. Good luck, it's coming.

No, marestail is very gly resistant. Gly advantages it even more then my beans because I can sprout from the previous year's root system as well as from seed. Here, if you catch it at the right stage, 24D amine or ester will give me about 80% control. This past year, I combined it with a buckwheat smother crop and got pretty good control. I'm hoping to do the same this year but add a sunn hemp and maybe something else to the Buckwheat.

I will probably always have some marestail, but it was overtaking the fields. I'd say it was less than 10% of the vegetation in my fields this year. I'm hoping to get that even lower with a second year of control.

Thanks,

jack

I need more cover. Thinking of planting tall shrubs and probably will mix different ones.

1. Have 150 trees being select cut sometime between tomorrow and March 1. Mostly soft maple and black oak.
2. Prune fruit trees, completed yesterday with the exception of what I want for scion wood.
3. Plant 20 apples, 10 pears, 10 persimmon,10 chestnut and 20 mulberry.
4. Complete substantial hinge cutting.
5. Clean up tops from logging as necessary to facilitate movement.
6. Graft and plant out 100 m.111
7. Transplant various shrubs to desirable location.
8. Probably get an order in of a few hundred conifers
9. Burn 4 acres of switch
10. Plant 3 acres of switch
11. Hopefully enroll current ag into CRP, but with new farm bill and current shut down I'm not terribly optimistic.

Did I mention I have a 13 month old at home and another due in April? Maybe biting off too much this winter/spring.

1. Upgrading my primary rifle blind by extending the deck around it, so that future maintenance will be easy. Also doing other maintenance chores on it.

2. Opening up new shooting lanes at select places.

3. Planting just a few more fruit trees. Being very picky now but willing to try something new that looks promising.

4. Normal spring mowing of fields and spring orchard maintenance. This includes cleaning out some cages. Also will do some topworking on apples, pears and persimmon.

5. Build a new tower blind on the small property I bought a couple of years ago. This property is a 7 minute drive from my other property.

6. More buckwheat plots this summer and other plotting in the fall.

The above will be enough to keep me plenty busy. I will have a lot of trail mowing in the summer as well.

I just signed up with Prof.Kent! Very cool channel and I learned a lot in the brief time I've already spent watching videos!

Create some more videos:
  • Prune about 100 persimmon and chestnut trees in tubes.
  • Hinge trees, cut trails, improve buck bedding areas, cut trees to thicken up the fence line where I caught the neighbors poaching
  • Disc some food plots and sow some clover
  • Order & plant approximately 25 apple, crabapple and pear trees
  • Get fencing and supplies for new trees

Always lots to do and happy if I do half!

Videos- after doing it for even a year, it’s fun to go back and watch them and see what’s changed.

Knock down wood- continue cutting wood to keep sections of the woods young and food for the deer

Plant- 6-8 apple trees that are either in my planter or root trapper bags.

Graft- 100 ordered, 90 or so new apple trees to graft for me and some to sell maybe

Plant- get some more spruce in the ground

Continue the 4-5 food plots I have and just plane old have fun doing it!

Mine are as followed
Property 1
1. Work on Cabin
a. Add Tin ceiling
b. Add wood Stove

Hunting
1.Add a box blind
2.Hinge cut trees
3. attempt food plot
Property 2

1. Hinge cut trees
2. Add a box blind