Yellow Birch...what is it good for

chummer

5 year old buck +
I noticed a lot of yellow birch walking the property. It is the predominant understory tree. Most of them are in the 6-8" range. I assume they took off after the last round of logging. I think they are going to be great for hinging but how do they rate for deer usage.

Yellow birch is a great furniture wood and a very good firewood. Wood turners like yellow birch. I don't see much browse on it though. You might want to talk to your logger friend and see what he thinks and how long before they could be logged. They grow quick.
He said they have decent value, but we found a couple giant veneer quality ones. There were a couple areas that looked like they were purposely planted. A couple acres where that is all there was 6-8" yellow birch.

X-2 with NH Mountains. Deer may browse them when they're small, but at the size you have, only grouse will eat the seeds / buds. Good hardwood for furniture and cabinet making. I saw a set of kitchen cabinets hand-made from yellow birch by a local craftsman - beautiful.

They do burn good in the stove.

They would probably make good firewood. A consulting forester told me they would take some for pulpwood and I could work on cutting the rest down myself to make way for better trees. That of course, was his opinion. I don't think I have any left unless I missed one.

All the birches get a rich yellow color to their leaves in the fall. Some of the mountain hollows here have lots of them and on a sunny, blue sky day they're a sight to behold in October. Something money can't buy.

I love the look of yellow birch flooring, the lighter color of the wood helps to brighten up the room as opposed to darker wood floors.