All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yates apples

My cousins with a deer farm only plant this apple and they love them. I've snuck some scions.

Nice looking tree. I planted one this fall, might have to graft a couple more. ;)

My yates is a prolific producer each year. One would want some varieties that drop earlier to attrack deer through out deer season, as it appears my yates will be dropping after the rut.

I love Yates as well. For you guys in colder climates than Pike County, my place has seen -25 over the last couple of years and Yates has done fine. Mine are also holding tight. I am wondering, Dan, when do the majority of yours drop or do they trickle all winter? I am not at my place over the winter but I noticed I had some dried up ones on the tree last March or May. One other thing about Yates is that they are a pretty good eater if picked (on my place anyway) about the first week of November. They are also precocious, DR and productive. I grafted quite a few seedling crabs over to Yates this past spring for these reasons.

I love Yates as well. For you guys in colder climates than Pike County, my place has seen -25 over the last couple of years and Yates has done fine. Mine are also holding tight. I am wondering, Dan, when do the majority of yours drop or do they trickle all winter? I am not at my place over the winter but I noticed I had some dried up ones on the tree last March or May. One other thing about Yates is that they are a pretty good eater if picked (on my place anyway) about the first week of November. They are also precocious, DR and productive. I grafted quite a few seedling crabs over to Yates this past spring for these reasons.

Mine drop over a period of time, and yes, they are a great eater and also a good cider apple.

Are you in MI? or a I thinking of someone else?

I'm also thinking of adding some yates. They seem like a good overall apple. For people as well as deer!

Are you in MI? or a I thinking of someone else?

I'm also thinking of adding some yates. They seem like a good overall apple. For people as well as deer!

Yes, I live in FL but my farm is in NW Jackson County. I was apprehensive about planting Yates because it was discovered in GA and nobody could give me the info I needed on cold tolerance, but mine have been great. They were the first apples on my place to bear. They are DR, late dropping, and easy to train as well. Nearly trouble free on my place.

Great looking tree, Dan. Yates sure sounds like a good one.

Had to come back and look at this as this is one of my favorite apple tree pics on the forum. As nice a training job as I have ever seen on a crab. Any updates on drops, Dan? Not sure where this tree is in your orchard, but any chance you could get photos of it in Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, just to get an idea on how fast it drops?

Deepsleep, I would not classify Yates as a crab. Yes, it is a small apple, but larger than most crabs, yet is not bitter like a crab.

I will be at farm 1st weekend of December, and will take more pics.

Deepsleep, I would not classify Yates as a crab. Yes, it is a small apple, but larger than most crabs, yet is not bitter like a crab.

I will be at farm 1st weekend of December, and will take more pics.

You are correct, Dan. I just think of it as more of a crab because mine are the same size as Chestnut and Violi. I appreciate you getting us more pics when you get by.

I grafted 2 last year and you all just convinced me to do more next season. Thanks guys. I like late and cider

Was at the farm this weekend for our second gun season, and half of the yates were still on tree on 12-6. They were still very good in spite of several freezes. My michelin still had 80% of its apples hanging. Sorry I forgot to snap some pics.

Was at the farm this weekend for our second gun season, and half of the yates were still on tree on 12-6. They were still very good in spite of several freezes. My michelin still had 80% of its apples hanging. Sorry I forgot to snap some pics.

Dan how does the Michelin as far as disease resistance? Any other apples you would add for late drop orchard besides yates, arkansas black an Michelin?
Do you have a spray regiment to get such great apples on that yates?

That pic and your info about Yates is twisting my arm and despite running out of room for any more apples - I need to get a Yates and get it planted. A member here on the forum up in Michigan said he has a Yates and it's doing really well for him that far north. I gotta find a spot for one.

Dan how does the Michelin as far as disease resistance? Any other apples you would add for late drop orchard besides yates, arkansas black an Michelin?
Do you have a spray regiment to get such great apples on that yates?

I have had no issues with decease on all three of these varieties. Arkansas black gets a little cedar rust but it doesn't affect its productivity. I do not spray any of my trees.

H20 - ^^^^^^^ If you look in the mirror, you'll notice either " All-Day " or " Hooked " has appeared on your forehead !! :emoji_grin: :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: