Wrens Abruzzi Rye question

destincabo

Yearling... With promise
Getting ready to buy seeds for our fall planting and have never used rye before. Have read about using Rye in the LC mix and to use as a cereal when planting clovers. Is the Wrens Abruzzi Rye the kind of Rye that I should be using?
Thanks for any insight.

I buy mine from our elevator and its VNS, cleaned and $12/bushel, also went the way mikmaze said the only thing is lots of times it's not screened/cleaned so it might have some weed seed in it.

Yes, our VNS Winter Rye comes in late some years, so if I'm trying to get a particular field planted early, I buy the more expensive Abruzzi Rye. It works great for me but no better than VNS. I think it ran about $22/bag compared to $18 for VNS last time I bought it. This year I got lucky! I had ordered some daikon radish from the local coop. I stopped by to day to see if it was in. I asked the manager if the VNS WR was in yet. He checked the computer and said no, but we have 30 bags left over from last year. I asked what we would be willing to sell them for and he offered $14 a bag. I bought 14 bags of it. Germination rates only drop slightly with year old WR and typical planting rates range from 60 to 100 lbs/ac. I'll simply go to the higher end of the range.

Thanks,

Jack

Not sure what zone you are located in, but Elbon rye does well for me in TN...

Wrens Abruzzi is a southern variety of rye(as is Elbon), since you don't have your USDA Zone listed, no one can tell you for sure if it is right for your area. In the northern tier states, the varieties you would plant are Aroostook, Hancock, or Rymin. Best thing you can do is get some VNS rye from your local coop, most likely it is the right type for your area if you buy it locally and you get a WAYYYYY better price than paying for the "named" stuff.