Oats and Rye for fall Clover cover crop.

Mike O

A good 3 year old buck
Planning a fall planting of clover using rye or oats or both as a nurse crop. What are the advantages and disadvantages of those two cereal grains? This is in Upper Penninsula of Michigan so the oats do not winter over.

In my opinion the advantage is with diversity. Oats are just about perfect because they winter kill, leaving organic matter above and below ground, with the rotting roots leaving channels for the roots of the next crop, if doing no-till. (Or in your case, for the clover and rye)

Meanwhile, the rye will overwinter, continuing in its role as nurse crop the following spring. It has allelopathic effects that suppress several types of weeds. You probably only need to mow it once to terminate it, which will then allow the young clover to really take off.

If you have any soil problems, you could probably add even more diversity of annuals to help improve the soil. And many, if not most, of the food plotters here would recommend a little chicory in every clover plot.

Rye deer can be fickle about. Thy like it around the 4 inch range. Almost anytime in an oats growth, deer will like it. Clover is good, eventually makes nitrogen for you.

Rye is good for the soil, can go several feet down. Builds organics matter. IT can be a very important food source for deer just coming out of winter.

What did you do for this spot so far? Herbicide, tillage, recent soil amending like lime or fertilizer.

You planting this year? If so, Kinda wanna say skip the oats. Although they will grow some possibly. Rye will do better. Surface broadcasting may not work too well this late though. You'll need to get the seed down a bit., spread seed, then disc or mow. With the clover, definitely put some seed down. But, also put some seed on the ground in February, or anytime the ground is bare in the winter. Frost seeding with snow cover usually means the birds will eat it. IF there,s snow cover, put the seed in right before it snows again.

A mix of rye and oats, winter peas, clover, and maybe some brassicas like turnips, canola sometimes called rape seed, or even better tillage radish.

When tlking about food plots it's good to mention what you have at your disposal. Tractor, ATV, even a pickup truck can be used in some cases. Dics, plow, herbicide sprayer, kind of seed spreader.

MYself, I have an ATV. a set of discs for it, old school spring tooth harrows, tire drag, A nice 3ft drop spreader mostly for lime and fertilizer, a 12v broadcast spreader., also a nice bigger wheeled cultipacker and a lawn roller. Got all the pieces to make a 30 inch double disc seeder with a cultipacker for the ATV.

I like the tractor supply's plotpike forage feast. Although they do not use rye, they have wheat, oats, winter peas, rape seed, clover, and I think chicory. Been a few years since I have used it.

Rye can be thrown and cover up with thatch by mowing or dragging something over vegetation. It can grow even without it. OAts can be done the same way, although it may have trouble without atleast covering it u with thatch. Depends on the season conditions, rain, etc. Wheat I throw and mowed for the st time in early august. I haven't been back to that camp, but will be in early decemebr to see how it went. Not expecting a miracle. Although we did have decent rain n august and spetmeber here in NY.

bigboreblr, I have grown both oats and rye in these plots before with great success but never as a nurse crop for my clover (Straight Grain planting). The soil is heavy but hasn't been limed in 4 years. I kind of got out of hunting in 2020 and am now planning on getting back in next season. I was up there this past summer and hit both plots with roundup once in late June and a second application in August. Plan to lime the hell out of area in June next season and plant last week in August. In the past I always planted Cereal grains around Sept. 10th but thinking I want to plant earlier so the clover can establish itself under the grain. Should I be concerned about the Oats and Rye being too mature by hunting season if planted end of August?​

I have a quad and spring tooth Harrow that does everything I need. In the past I have always started my perennial clover plots in August but never used a nurse crop.

You can lime it over the winter if you can get in there.

I'd do oats and clover, then take a spreader and put rye in it labor day weekend for zone 3 and maybe mid spetember for zone 5. 6 weeks before usual hard frost (night in 20's).

Rye isn't ideal food plot food, but deer utilize it when they need it most.

My best fall established perennial clovers used brassicas as a nurse crop. Could overseed rye about a month before first frost date and you'll have a beautiful field in the spring, one or two mowings and you'll be set.

My best spring established perennial clovers used oats as a nurse crop. Just mow out the oats late summer and let the clovers do their part.

Think you'll be ok with oat planting. Rye would not be used much by them. I would spread rye seed towards the end of September. I'd also put more than just oats n rye. Some turnips, chicory, maybe peas, maybe tillage radish. Far as clover goes, I'd put several perennials in there. Ladino, or improved ladino like the peddington stuff. Just started spreading that this year, but many folks really liked it. MEdium red, berseem, maybe aslike. I generally make about a 20lb bag of clover. equal parts medium red and ladino, then a bag of imperial whitetail clover, and sometimes a bag from tracotr supply. plotspike makes it. Has some crimson, medium red, some kind of white. USed to buy dutch white. It works great, but can choke out throw n mow of rye in the late summer. Left to be a pure stand, might still use dutch white.

Throw several things in, the deer will find interest in something at most times.

Think you'll be ok with oat planting. Rye would not be used much by them. I would spread rye seed towards the end of September. I'd also put more than just oats n rye. Some turnips, chicory, maybe peas, maybe tillage radish. Far as clover goes, I'd put several perennials in there. Ladino, or improved ladino like the peddington stuff. Just started spreading that this year, but many folks really liked it. MEdium red, berseem, maybe aslike. I generally make about a 20lb bag of clover. equal parts medium red and ladino, then a bag of imperial whitetail clover, and sometimes a bag from tracotr supply. plotspike makes it. Has some crimson, medium red, some kind of white. USed to buy dutch white. It works great, but can choke out throw n mow of rye in the late summer. Left to be a pure stand, might still use dutch white.

Throw several things in, the deer will find interest in something at most times.
My deer like rye just as much as oats or wheat. And, it makes a much much much better nurse crop for the clover.

My go-to nurse crop for clover is wheat. Sometimes, rye just produces too much biomass and it can shade out the fledgling clover the following spring.

My #1 method of clover establishment is frostseeding in March into a thick stand of wheat. Southern Michigan.