WR. clover

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Would it be a good practice to overseed your establish Clover plot with winter Rye... I read DoubleTree recommendation of allocating 1/3 for Clover, 1/3 for cereal grain( WR preferred) and 1/3 for brassicas just looking for pros and cons of sharing Clover and winter Rye thanks

Search function is your friend.

Would it be a good practice to overseed your establish Clover plot with winter Rye... I read DoubleTree recommendation of allocating 1/3 for Clover, 1/3 for cereal grain( WR preferred) and 1/3 for brassicas just looking for pros and cons of sharing Clover and winter Rye thanks

Well, it is not as simple as just overseeding but, in general, yes. If you simply broadcast WR into a well established clover plot, it won't germinate unless the clover is dormant (say mid summer). The WR need seed/soil contact, moisture, and sun to grow.

In order for this to work, you need to temporarily suppress the established clover. I've done this by spraying 1 qt/ac of gly which top-kills the clover. I've also done it by bushhogging the clover flat. I have not tried simply broadcasting but others have. I've used a no-till drill and had success drilling both Winter Rye and Radish into the clover. The drilled crop germinates and starts growing and then the clover bounces back from the root system. Here is an example I've posted before:

f0150c4d-ea79-4937-b492-2286ff7ed748.jpg

01814a24-edac-4ef4-aa57-8aa9e41d13bd.jpg

Keep in mind there are risks. Suppressing the clover stresses it. If you have other stresses like drought or something, you can kill it. I like to do this in the fall when our weather is turning to favor clover. I general won't do it on a well producing clover plot. However as plots age, the weed content grows over time, especially grasses. This technique allows me to extend the life of the clover field for a few years. The gly kills all the grasses and many broadleaf weeds. The Radish or WR helps use up some the N that the clover banked over the years making the field a little less attractive to grasses. Also, if you have a gly resistance problem in your area, you can compound it with a light application of gly.

Don't do this on a new perennial clover field or on annual clover. It takes at least a year for clover to be well enough established to handle the stress.

Thanks,

Jack

I was wondering the same thing. I have about 2 acres of Durana and chicory. This is the first year I don't have any winter rye/crimson clover growing. I am worried the clover plots won't feed the deer through out the winter like the WR did. I just purchased 4 bags on WR but from what Jack said, it may be a waste of time.

This is not from experience but maybe before a severe downpour.. it might get the Rye seed down but I guess that would depend on how thick the Clover is I suspect you wouldn't get full germination but if the rain is heavy enough I think enough seed would get down and obviously would help if you had several days of rain and or clouds so a lot will depend on conditions hopefully others with experience will comment