Would you?

Bill

Administrator
Had a guest that was willing to brave the extreme heat this week in MO.

Came really close to two of our best bucks. Looked the other way on this guy.

Ignore the buck and look above and to the right. You can see the hunters face looking away. Probably to not be enticed. This guy gave him many opportunities. But this deer wasn't the target.

18dfe4681f7c2303ad7e98a17b75b251.jpg

43dd59e3b85ad0e7030fa63669a9882e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good man! That buck will look REALLY good next year!!

Jim dandy! That's a tough one... I have been passing 3.5 deer for past few years and getting sick of it! This year a nice 3 yr old walks by within bow range he is in trouble. I'm in a killing mood:)

None of my buddies would look the other way!

Good Deer, but really good next year!

And I can't tell you how many deer we pass up to never see again, makes a guy wonder why he does it!

But if you don't pass the 140-150's, you for sure cut your chances down a lot of ever seeing a 180.

Yeah why is that. We passed up probably 10 different 130 in deer last year. This year only have one maybe 2 over 150. Also this year bet we have 10 more 3 year olds. Just never ads up.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

I couldnt have passed him. If deer like that ever show up on my place, they die on the neighbors everytime.

Cool. He would get a pass from me, but my friends could do whatever they want in this situation... most of them would let an arrow fly and be thrilled with him.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It really depends on location. On our place, we are trying to protect deer less than 3 1/2. We are not always successful. If that deer were on our property, I would guess it to be a large 2 1/2 year old deer. Our 2 1/2 year old deer have a pretty wide range. The rack is a bit narrow but tall. Full brow tines. But the body form says younger deer to me. It could be 3 1/2 but given the long look at the pics my call would be 2 1/2 and I'd pass it. Most of our mistakes shooting younger buck occur during muzzleloader and firearm season when shots are at longer distance and sometimes quick shoot/no-shoot decisions need to be made.

Personally, I kind of look at it this way. In all of my bowhunting only once did I pass a deer that I later regretted. When I had the shot, the rack was at an angle where I could not judge the width. When the deer walked away I saw just how wide the rack was but by then the deer was at 30 yards. On the other hand, I've had many, many experiences where ground shrinkage has caused me to regret a harvest. So, I tend to be a bit more conservative as I get older.

Thanks,

Jack

Nice buck, the side view give a better perspective.

Like they say on QDMA ... let him go so he can grow ... ;)

Maybe the fact that I promised a bigger buck helped.

For this area I'm calling him a 3 year old. Two months from now and he'll look like a tank. I could be wrong. If he's 2 I'll sure smack him at three.

Maybe the fact that I promised a bigger buck helped.

For this area I'm calling him a 3 year old. Two months from now and he'll look like a tank. I could be wrong. If he's 2 I'll sure smack him at three.

He has a long body and looks like he could put on some real mass in your area ... I am assuming you guys in M have another good 1-2 monthes of good vegetation?

He has a long body and looks like he could put on some real mass in your area ... I am assuming you guys in M have another good 1-2 monthes of good vegetation?

Today I planted a mixture of beans, rye, radishs, DER and purple tops into yellowing beans. The new beans and brassica's won't do much but they'll be good salad for at least 5 weeks. Heck I even broadcast soybean and rye into the clover. The clover is really bouncing back from the hot dry August phase now. Lots of tonnage right now. Then it's brown beans and rye.

Plenty around here to hold the does until spring.

Nice buck, the side view give a better perspective.

Like they say on QDMA ... let him go so he can grow ... ;)

The word that can not be spoken...yet here it is...:D

Today I planted a mixture of beans, rye, radishs, DER and purple tops into yellowing beans. The new beans and brassica's won't do much but they'll be good salad for at least 5 weeks. Heck I even broadcast soybean and rye into the clover. The clover is really bouncing back from the hot dry August phase now. Lots of tonnage right now. Then it's brown beans and rye.

I planted today too. To hot to hunt. New woodland plot. Put allot of work into this one.. I have a vision for my place so figured better get after it!
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG

The word that can not be spoken...yet here it is...:D

That word is good just don't add forum :D

Farm logs said we got almost 3" of rain In Hatfield MO. Did you catch that much rain right after you planted over your way Bill?

Farm logs said we got almost 3" of rain In Hatfield MO. Did you catch that much rain right after you planted over your way Bill?

I wish. Weather man said 100% chance today, yesterday. Today it says 10% chance:confused:

I wish. Weather man said 100% chance today, yesterday. Today it says 10% chance:confused:

Checked our rain gauge today at the farm... last 9 days we had 5.4" of rain. Normal monthly average for September in our are is 4.0", we have received 7.15" so far this month ... farmers are now dealing with getting into and out of the fields to harvest ... :eek: