All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worlds worst deer hunter

I've taken two deer with Fusion in my .308, and I can tell you it is absolutely lethal.

As for scopes, I have one of the new low-end Zeiss scopes, and it is excellent. I have a few Leupold VX-1, which are very nice. And I recently got a Vortex Viper, which is also excellent.
Ive got a Vortex Viper on the .224 valkyrie, and a Vortex Diamond back on the .223. I just like Vortex glass.

Congrats on not giving up the search !! All of us have made "off" hits or had deer run off with no blood trail. If you grazed him with a low belly hit, he'll be fine - but be a tad smarter !! As some of the guys here have said, a deer bleeding internally can be tough to track. My first bow kill did that, but after about 5 hours, I found him dead about 300 yds. from where I shot him. Give maximum effort on any tracking job.

One thing I learned some years ago is to make sure your scope mounting screws are all tight. I had a groundhog outfit that became erratic in it's shot placement. Dad told me to check all the screws on the rings. Bingo. He also clued me in to tighten all the screws equally - a little at a time so they all have an even torque. After adjustment, the gun was dead nuts.

Funny how Dads know this stuff. I can hear him chuckling from a higher place !!

Last edited:
I use the blue thread locker and a torque wrench. It happened to me on the .223 once and wont happen again.

Those Federal Fusion bullets are what I shoot and I love them. I shot Winchesters XP3/etc. for a long time and then switched to Federal Fusion 165 grain for half the price and they shoot better out of my 300 WSM. I’m very happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep thats me. Buck came in tonight and stopped at 80 yds. I shot him with the .270. On tv they fall immediately so I was suprised when he ran off. Some white hair at the shot site and not one drop of blood. Think I am gonna sell all my deer hunting stuff.

Now wait one second there. How old are you? I am 51. If you are younger than me, I have the spot locked up. I have been the world’s worst deer hunter for decades. I am the undisputed champion. No contender can come close. I credit every one of my kills to 100 percent luck and deer waking up and thinking “today is a good day to go visit the grand food plot in the sky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk