All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worlds worst deer hunter

There is an out hole. I found where the round hit the dirt.

A .270 or .30-06 are the classic deer calibers. When you start your search, mark where you shot hum with a strip of toilet paper or survey tape. Then mark every spot you find blood. You will start to see a line of flight emerge.

Really clean bright red blood, possibly with bubbles would suggest lungs. Dark red blood could mean kindey/spleen/liver shoot. If it was a gut shoot, he will usually head for water. Gut shot deer you should give at least 10-12 hours before searching for them to allow them to die.

As a general rule, once hit, they will seek cover. If you find several spots where he has bedded and left some blood. He is hit but not an immediate fatal hit, you may want to back out and give him more time. If you see ravens or crows could be they have found him.

Good luck.

Been out since 720. Not a drop of blood anywhere. Ive searched my side. The neighbor allowed me to cross and look on him. Its so damn thick on his side I could be a few feet from him and not see anything. I think maybe the shot went low and grazed the belly. Gonna look till 930 then head back.
20181206_082902.jpg

Good job getting out there and doing due diligence to find any sign. Things happen....scopes get bumped and your rifle is no longer shooting where it was at the range. The first few shots out of a newly cleaned and lubed rifle can sometimes fly strangely. Buck fever. Get back to your range and take a few shots and see what happens. That might reveal a piece of the puzzle.

And I'll just say this about the TV shows...I think they do more damage to the ethos and psyche and expectations of new and beginning deer hunters than anything else. :emoji_thumbsdown:

I hope you find some sing and the deer.

My boy shot a button buck this year with a 308 at like 40 yards and we had a heck of a time finding blood right away. We did see the deer go down, or we thought. We finally found blood the size of pin heads. The hardest part is staying focused on looking for the smallest sign and not the deer itself. A dog might help as well.

if I gave up after a poor shot I would have been done a long time ago! It happens. I pulled a shot and hit a nice buck in the liver a few years back...I pulled a 50 yard shot from a rest with a gun to the point I hit the liver! That's pretty bad! I finally found the buck a week later... meat was bad which I was most upset over, but I knew I hit him and didn't give up.

I have honestly had to talk myself out of throwing my gun in the creek and letting it rot in the past.

If you looked for him, and are convinced you didn't kill him, keep moving. No sense beating yourself up. Nothing to accomplish by doing that anyways.

Been out since 720. Not a drop of blood anywhere. Ive searched my side. The neighbor allowed me to cross and look on him. Its so damn thick on his side I could be a few feet from him and not see anything. I think maybe the shot went low and grazed the belly. Gonna look till 930 then head back.

Now is the time to go site your gun in to confirm the scope is not the issue.

Buck fever has messed with many a hunter ... :emoji_wink:

First time I had ever shot from an elevated platform but if my math is right I should’ve missed high. I am going to get it sighted again tomorrow. I need some more ammo though because I only have 3 rounds left.
Also going to get the Valkyrie dialed in. I would think a 90 gr .224 Valkyrie should do the trick. Only 3 days left of rifle then its back to bow.

.270 should be point blank no holdover to speak of on deer out to 300 or so anyways. Elevated or not. That wouldn’t make a 1/2” difference at 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.270 should be point blank no holdover to speak of on deer out to 300 or so anyways. Elevated or not. That wouldn’t make a 1/2” difference at 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want explain that word salad ...

You may want explain that word salad ...

Perfectly understandable. A .270 zeroed at 100 yards should be dead on at 300. No need to hold the cross hairs anywhere but where you want to hit.

Personally I’d sight it in 1 inch high at a 100 And not adjust aim at 300.

Perfectly understandable. A .270 zeroed at 100 yards should be dead on at 300. No need to hold the cross hairs anywhere but where you want to hit.

Thats what I do but go a bit higher at 100 like 1 1/2 " Have yet to shoot a deer over 80 yards though.

Chuck

Thats what I do but go a bit higher at 100 like 1 1/2 " Have yet to shoot a deer over 80 yards though.

Chuck

I was going to go with 1.5 but haven’t messed with my 06 in years. 7MM rem mag is 3.5 high at 100. 0 at 335. Have to watch 200 it’s about 5 inches high and thet can mess u up.

I reckon that deer is dead. They can run even after being hit hard! Keep checking, it's probably out there in the thick stuff.

I am 2" high at 100 with my 308 & 30-06 and close to "0" at 200. I don't practice with a gun vise, I shoot off a rest, sticks, or no rest so i practice the way a hunting situation would unfold.

From the pic it looks like you creased the deer low and might have only cut hair. You gave it a good search, they can sure go a lot further than you would think and fast. Don't beat yourself up over it.

I shot it today. It shot low. It’s the factory scope on the Remington 783 so its not high quality but I figured it would hold a zero. Reading the forums people complained about the lack of eye relief (I can attest to this since it almost required stitches last year while sighting it, but it smoked the bulls eye). Probably need to put a Vortex scope on it.

Ive got it shooting straight again. Gonna watch for a scope deal after the season. Federal Fushion shoot well out of this as well.

I will bet that a 270 drops in 300 yards if sighted dead on,I would go to the ammunition manufacturer that you are using and it will give you ballistics.I sight my 7mag 2 inches high at 100.The only way you can sight in a rifle is to have some sort of steady rest,then you can practice different hunting postions.We did alot of this when my 13 year old drew a NM oryx tag.

Ive got it shooting straight again. Gonna watch for a scope deal after the season. Federal Fushion shoot well out of this as well.

I've taken two deer with Fusion in my .308, and I can tell you it is absolutely lethal.

As for scopes, I have one of the new low-end Zeiss scopes, and it is excellent. I have a few Leupold VX-1, which are very nice. And I recently got a Vortex Viper, which is also excellent.