Woods road planting.

I've had fairly good luck with both clovers and rye. I've also used a mix I get from my coop which they call a "Pasture Mix". Don't have a tag right now but it is a mix of clovers, some alfalfa and some grass or fescue similar to what Patrick posted above. In heavy hardwoods leaf litter will cover it up and smother it at times. If you want to keep it going you can go out with a leaf blower and clear the leaves after leaf fall. If you can edge feather or hinge some trees on the south side of the road you can get more sunlight to it.

View attachment 16963View attachment 16964View attachment 16965
Love the thick areas and the browse on the sides. I also think it looks like you use a cultipacker on your trails after seeding. I do as well and can’t imagine I’d have near the success without using one.

Love the thick areas and the browse on the sides. I also think it looks like you use a cultipacker on your trails after seeding. I do as well and can’t imagine I’d have near the success without using one.

Thanks Someday Isle. Actually that was planted with my no-till drill but I know what you mean about the look. Prior to buying the drill I always cultipacked after seedling and it would often look as though it had been drilled.

The woods roads you see are the result from about 2-3 years after a timber harvest. Many areas - particularly the sunnier areas show a lot of regeneration growth which gets thicker every year. The loggers made "skidder trails" through the woods harvesting the timber. I decided to keep some of them open so I went through with the cultivator, disc and drag to level them out and then seeded them. A lot of wildlife use them regularly - deer, turkeys, rabbits, grouse, etc.

Last edited:

Thanks Someday Isle. Actually that was planted with my no-till drill but I know what you mean about the look. Prior to buying the drill I always cultipacked after seedling and it would often look as though it had been drilled.

The woods roads you see are the result from about 2-3 years after a timber harvest. Many areas - particularly the sunnier areas show a lot of regeneration growth which gets thicker every year. The loggers made "skidder trails" through the woods harvesting the timber. I decided to keep some of them open so I went through with the cultivator, disc and drag to level them out and then seeded them. A lot of wildlife use them regularly - deer, turkeys, rabbits, grouse, etc.

We have also done the same thing on our property in Wisconsin. Planted many of the logging/skidder trails. It’s been working good so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To all, Grandpa Ray's has a free monthly newsletter. https://www.grandparayoutdoors.com
Blogs have good info too.
He has a Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/281016532371158/
I got on facebook just for the seminars.
Ask for an invite, he does seminars and covers various topics, last were on no/min till and fertilizing. Hope that helps.
Livesintrees, update your profile so we know where you are.
Peplin Creek, rye is great. I am in sand. How has the clover done? FWIW, I have broadcast some clovers on a trail, overseeded, no soil test for the trail. Doing better than I thought that it would. No pictures. Leaves are a concern.

Clover on my trails are hit and miss. It really sorta depends on the germination I get and then the amount of rain after. Some years it turns out decent others it doesn’t. Rye always seems to come up though and use In less than ideal situations. I too have issues with leafs. I always go in with a leaf blower a week before the first sign of rut and blow them off. Makes a difference and doesn’t smother it. I think it helps the following spring. Helps me be a little more stealthy walking around too if need be.

Seriously debating this year of doing rye with winter peas in it. I find the peas to grow well in the fall and plots with them included in a mix tend to draw slightly better.

So I have a section roughed up. It’s about half done. But the ground looks like this. Still need to smooth it out a bit. Not sure what the best means to go about it is. Bc it’s in the timber it has like a 1” thick mat of “something”. Small root system. Very fine. Pulled a ton a rocks (boulders) so that future equipment can be used and not damaged. Scraped the top 4-6” with the teeth of the bucket. Property is basically a mountain

Attachments

• F4BAC505-69E9-4C91-9609-5B851C21E079.jpeg
    F4BAC505-69E9-4C91-9609-5B851C21E079.jpeg
    889 KB · Views: 24
  • 9C55ED5A-7F29-41BD-AEDA-2042370EE595.jpeg
    9C55ED5A-7F29-41BD-AEDA-2042370EE595.jpeg
    859.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 80843C48-5472-4FF7-92FB-9E31DCD5BC5F.jpeg
    80843C48-5472-4FF7-92FB-9E31DCD5BC5F.jpeg
    903.9 KB · Views: 23
I have another thread but figured this may be better suited to a new thread. On woods roads, what have you had success planting with? I’m working with a newly acquired piece of ground. Terrain varies as does the slope. Road I’m looking to plant will see no vehicle or foot traffic. Basically laid out in the shape of a horseshoe with a seasonal pond in the center. Rough estimate would say 15-20 feet wide by 500 yards long. Weed competition at this point is not a concern as the forest is mature with little understory (not for long as TSI and hinge cutting are underway). I’m looking to get some form of first year planting established. Main goal is for fall/winter attraction. I would however like to be able to get a spring planting in, then perhaps spray/kill in late summer and broadcast a fall planting. I’m open to all suggestions. Thanks

Turnips have works well for me. More tonage per acre than other grain or green crops produce. A lot of the roots will rot in the soil so next year no fertilizer is needed. But if our plant the turnips too thick all you get is salad!