Woods road planting.

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
I have another thread but figured this may be better suited to a new thread. On woods roads, what have you had success planting with? I’m working with a newly acquired piece of ground. Terrain varies as does the slope. Road I’m looking to plant will see no vehicle or foot traffic. Basically laid out in the shape of a horseshoe with a seasonal pond in the center. Rough estimate would say 15-20 feet wide by 500 yards long. Weed competition at this point is not a concern as the forest is mature with little understory (not for long as TSI and hinge cutting are underway). I’m looking to get some form of first year planting established. Main goal is for fall/winter attraction. I would however like to be able to get a spring planting in, then perhaps spray/kill in late summer and broadcast a fall planting. I’m open to all suggestions. Thanks

I have a road that I plant, and struggle with yearly. I have found that winter rye gives me the best results with as little sun light it gets. I would go with mostly that and try adding some clover to it.

Winter rye or rye grain? And when are you planting? And what if any maintenance do you perform. If you can give me a rundown of prep and planting that would be excellent. I like hearing how others go about it. Thanks!

Winter rye and rye grain are the same. Don’t get it confused with ryegrass. That’s different. The path that I plant has some slope to it. So I scratch the surface the ground with either a harrow drag, or I lightly disk to loosen the top inch of soil. From there I broadcast the rye and then drag it into the ground just to cover it up so it can’t wash it away. Cultipacking wouldn’t be a bad option either but I don’t always do that. It’s up and growing in a week.

If your ground is pretty flat, You can pretty much just broadcast the rye on the ground and it will grow. It’s pretty tough that way.

I also do this around the last week of August here in Wisconsin. Being back in the woods it doesn’t grow as quick as other areas

Excellent. I appreciate the input. Glad I found this forum since QDMA one is gone

I agree with the winter rye. I put mine in earlier than the end of August. I planted it in the beginning of August.

Reactions: ATP
I use the basic LC mix on my trails. I am converting a couple of them to straight clover this year. I’ve had very good success with poor soils and a lot of shade. The rye does very well and the clover comes on the following spring. 2EF12ED0-549E-44C7-8547-5A792D0B6908.jpeg2FB4C642-EC6F-423F-9BD0-E31FD4402E8D.jpeg9BFBA514-5CDB-46CB-94A4-E309B26291C9.jpeg

One thing to consider is how your roads are oriented; E to W...N to S...or other. I have roads through the timber that stay in grasses just fine but wind around the bend and it's sparse or just dirt because of shade and not enough sunlight. In planted pines the needle thatch can be tough to battle so it definitely varies when it comes to how good a stand of growth you might get.

Thank you all for the replies. The horshoe section that I’d like to get established this year is north/south orientated. It’s already existing thus it’s what I have to work with. There are several trails like this on the property. However this is the only one that perfectly sets up access wise in relation to deer bedding. The other sections. Would be a complete impossibility to access without blowing deer out.

Also where are you getting your seed? I’ve used welter with excellent results and service.

Post up some pictures of your trails and list the mix!

Thanks again to all that replied

Thank you all for the replies. The horshoe section that I’d like to get established this year is north/south orientated. It’s already existing thus it’s what I have to work with. There are several trails like this on the property. However this is the only one that perfectly sets up access wise in relation to deer bedding. The other sections. Would be a complete impossibility to access without blowing deer out.

Also where are you getting your seed? I’ve used welter with excellent results and service.

Post up some pictures of your trails and list the mix!

Thanks again to all that replied

I would still consider planting those spots even if you don’t hunt them. Food close to bedding on your property is always a good thing.

Here are some pictures from this last year. Pretty much winter rye and that’s it.

One nice thing that has happened in this area since I started doing this is, scrape activity has skyrocketed around this path and on it. It’s really nothing more than a spot for deer to browse and move on but traffic for sure increased.4B9A5EC7-6F1D-4E0B-9A5D-D2A695D41F59.jpegC28E7B5E-FBDC-4357-A6B6-D0A7C17DC7BD.jpeg3E8D0F26-746A-4D0D-A576-07C537FD0775.jpeg

I would still consider planting those spots even if you don’t hunt them. Food close to bedding on your property is always a good thing.

The horseshoe section is very close to bedding. The advantage is bulletproof access. Deer bed on the opposite side of the ridge on a bench that sits 40 feet below. They are limited due to terrain to two access points. The other sections that will not be planted would do no good to me. I do plan next year to get two 1/4 acre plots in the timber. 200 yards apart from each other with a connecting trail again using the terrain to make sure thermals float away into no mans land.

Here are some pictures from this last year. Pretty much winter rye and that’s it.

One nice thing that has happened in this area since I started doing this is, scrape activity has skyrocketed around this path and on it. It’s really nothing more than a spot for deer to browse and move on but traffic for sure increased.View attachment 16841View attachment 16842View attachment 16843
Good stuff. My plans are he same. The deer right now basically travel on a 45° angle from a watershed type preserve across the road across my property. The plan I have laid out would cause the deer to travel my property in straight line one end to the other east to west. I plan on using if you will place the food plots as well as hinge cutting which is already underway to steer them on a pattern.

I just bought a mix of Grandpa Ray's logging road mix I'm going to plant as soon as the MONSOONS stop!!! I have a new road cut that is bare ground. Hopefully it will come in well.

I just bought a mix of Grandpa Ray's logging road mix I'm going to plant as soon as the MONSOONS stop!!! I have a new road cut that is bare ground. Hopefully it will come in well.

Any chance you could post the seed tag? I am always curious to know what’s in commercial mixes.

Yeah a link to the

Sounds like a good deal however my question would be what maintenance does it require? It has a little of everything in it. Do you mow it? Spray it? A lot left unanswered

Any chance you could post the seed tag? I am always curious to know what’s in commercial mixes.

Here you go Peplin:
1519433325086.png

It also says it can be frost seeded, I assume since most seed is small clover.

I've had fairly good luck with both clovers and rye. I've also used a mix I get from my coop which they call a "Pasture Mix". Don't have a tag right now but it is a mix of clovers, some alfalfa and some grass or fescue similar to what Patrick posted above. In heavy hardwoods leaf litter will cover it up and smother it at times. If you want to keep it going you can go out with a leaf blower and clear the leaves after leaf fall. If you can edge feather or hinge some trees on the south side of the road you can get more sunlight to it.

DSC03105.jpgDSC03107.jpgDSC03251.jpg

Looks good! The logging road mix looks promising. I looked at grandpa rays site also and compared to many other combo seed blends they have a lot less filler. May give it a shot depending on what soil tests show. I may plant one leg in it and then plant a chicory/grain/brassica mix on the other. Or I might just go with a soul builder for this year. So many choices. I have gotten a a few messages from members here with suggestions which I also do appreciate. As mentioned I’ve done very well with fall plantings. But usually they are farm county properties. This is mountains and mature hardwoods. A new adventure for me for sure