Woodland hidy hole plot-what to plant

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
What do you guys plant in small woodland plots?

The LC cereal grain mix, oats, rye, peas and clover. My plots in the woods are pretty wet getting into so they are a fall plot.

The LC cereal grain mix, oats, rye, peas and clover.

Would the peas grow with "no till" method? I don't plant to turn this soil. Just sprayed with gly and broadcast

I would think if you mowed or rolled they would, they are just an attraction and usually don't last long. Last year I couldn't get back there with a tractor so I broadcast and weed whipped the grass/rye that came up so it was like a throw and mow, did alright but this is a moist area so rain is never a problem.

Here's a couple pics from last year, apparently I didn't get any of the plot after it came up.

What do you guys plant in small woodland plots?

Tillage Radish and then over seed with Winter Rye a month later. Do the tillage Radish now.

Tillage Radish and then over seed with Winter Rye a month later. Do the tillage Radish now.

I'm gonna try this with the smallest one for sure! Grounds pretty rocky here. Will that matter? Should I hit them with some urea at some point? Or just some 13-13-13?

I'm gonna try this with the smallest one for sure! Grounds pretty rocky here. Will that matter? Should I hit them with some urea at some point? Or just some 13-13-13?

Urea for sure, without a soil test, can't tell you what else.

How big an area you talking about and what kind of sun does it get?

How big an area you talking about and what kind of sun does it get?

Both are less than 1/4 acre and get pretty good sun due to my place being select cut logged in 09.
Here is one clearing about half way through forgot to take a pic when finished. It snakes along a logging road that I widened to about double width. This is set up for a south wind because I'm always scrambling for a place to hunt when wind is out of the south
image.jpg

I'm doing clover and chicory in my staging plots since they don't get a lot of sunlight and are lower maintenance. I'm planting with rye in the fall then clipping or spraying the rye with cleth in the spring.

I found a pic of my plot in the woods from last year.

When are you looking to hunt it? If you're looking for anything late season, just go with the radishes and rye... If you're going to really only be doing earlier bowhunting, then I'd go with LOTS of peas, rye and clover. The only reason I wouldn't do brassicas, if this was only early in the season, would be because the deer might travel to this plot, and not past your other stands. Really you should be great with just annuals. Next summer I'd put in buckwheat, although they might eat that to the ground.

Winter Rye, Red clover, Radishes.....Then the following year...Winter Rye, Red clover, Radishes....:DFor a city idiot like me these are about as bullet proof as it gets (not to mention very economical).
That provides year 'round food! KISS.

That provides year 'round food! KISS.

I agree that sounds like a good mix. Regardless of what you plant right now, I think it would help you in the long run to pull some soil samples as soon as you can and spend $15 to see what type of soil you have and what you need to add. That will probably give you a better plot in the long run and save you some fertilizer or lime expenses that you may or may not need.

Also, it would be good if you can add in a couple sprayings of round-up at some point since those woods plots seem to have plenty of weed seeds waiting to grow.

In the next week or 2 I'd put in some oats, winter rye, radish's & a 50/50 mix of clover/chicory.

Do radishes get large enough if you put them in right now?

I've planted radishes in SE MN in early August and they can grow pretty large if you get rain at the right time. The number of weeds or competing food plot seedlings will also have an impact on the radish size.

In the next week or 2 I'd put in some oats, winter rye, radish's & a 50/50 mix of clover/chicory.

Is there a commercial mix for this or should I try to piece it together. I'm having trouble finding a seed supply anywhere near me