All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your best fall mix?

I’m north of you in Zone 3a.

I plant a brassica / clover / chicory / WR mix in late August or early September and it does great!! I get bulbs the size of baseballs before hard frosts come in mid October.

Attachments

• IMG_5974.jpeg
    IMG_5974.jpeg
    564.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5972.jpeg
    IMG_5972.jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 20
if you are considering turnips/radishes, Aug is too late to plant in the north. You will need to overseed early July if you want any bulb growth.
Learned this from guys on here a few years back. Lickcreek, and Wild Thing come to mind - along with several others. They were correct! In our area, we seed turnips & radishes 3rd week of July. Some of those PTT bulbs get eaten by camp members.

Overseed in early August with red white clover. This will start its germination and growth. It will scavenge nitrogen from the air. Then in early Sept overseed 100 lbs/acre of WR. This will germinate and the young shoots will provide fall cold weather food. Both the above will then green up in early spring proving food, fawn cover, and nitrogen for summer planting.

if you are considering turnips/radishes, Aug is too late to plant in the north. You will need to overseed early July if you want any bulb growth.

Note ... it would help to add your growing zone to your avatar name area or signature line.
I've been planting radish and turnips in late june the last couple of years and that's been working for me. I don't spray or fertilize so if I end up with the grasses or weeds being thick the brassicas have more competition but still do very well.

I dont know if it is a soil thing or not. I plant brassica in early to mid August in Zone 4 and get softball sized turnips.

I've been planting radish and turnips in late june the last couple of years and that's been working for me. I don't spray or fertilize so if I end up with the grasses or weeds being thick the brassicas have more competition but still do very well.

Yep, I overseed them usually late June. We tupically can have drought like conditions between 30-45 days in July/Aug. So hopefully late June rains get them kicked started.

Rain's been scarce in our camp's area the last couple July & August periods, too. We seed & hope. Summer thunderstorms can be so localized, and they seem to miss the camp too often. Rye & clover to the rescue!

I like to mix rye/wheat/oats. 100-150lbs. About 3-4 clovers. A little buckwheat. And 3 brassicas at about 3lbs total.

In my now 25 seasons of food plotting, I have noted I have very fussy deer.

In the fall, they really go after corn, soybeans, cereal grains(oats wheat and rue in descending order of deer preference. They devour white clovers year round, and alfalfa when it's green.

They are not interested in any sort of rape, turnip, radish, winter pea or chicory. They’re just not.

They do go for alfalfa right up until it goes into dormancy and then ignore it completely afterward.

Last edited:
In my now 25 seasons of food plotting, I have noted I have very fussy deer.

In the fall, they really go after corn, soybeans, cereal grains(oats wheat and rue in descending order of deer preference.

They are not interested in any sort of rape, turnip, radish, winter pea or chicory. They’re just not.

They do go for alfalfa right up until it goes into dormancy and then ignore it completely afterward.
I am always fascinated with regional differences in deer preference

All brassicas are food plot ornaments in east texas

They grow well , but Im the only one who likes to eat them

bill

I’ve heard people even in the Midwest say “it takes a couple of years” for deer to lock into brassicas.

But I’ve done pretty significant plotting in SE Wisconsin (zone 5, 40 DPSM)and now in NW Wisconsin (zone 3b, 15 DPSM). In both places when the greens get to the right stage they just absolutely get decimated.

I’m probably going to hell for saying this….but I just don’t see much evidence of deer eating my chicory. No matter where I plant it, it seems to be the last thing they eat…if at all.

I’ve heard people even in the Midwest say “it takes a couple of years” for deer to lock into brassicas.

But I’ve done pretty significant plotting in SE Wisconsin (zone 5, 40 DPSM)and now in NW Wisconsin (zone 3b, 15 DPSM). In both places when the greens get to the right stage they just absolutely get decimated.

I’m probably going to hell for saying this….but I just don’t see much evidence of deer eating my chicory. No matter where I plant it, it seems to be the last thing they eat…if at all.
I’ve never seen a deer eat a brassica! Ha

Crimson clover is only good to zone 6, we are in zone 5. I have tried it and had poor results. I am sure those in warmer climates have had better results.
Replace the crimson with red, I've had great success with that over the years. And my deer won't touch most brassica, but will browse every single radish I plant. They eat plenty of other things for me to wait until they get a taste for the rest of the brassicas!

I have never seen deer ignore brassicas and/or chicory ? That is very odd!

Another trick is to spread some no till seed, thrn spread some more a few weekd later. Deer like ypunger rye, like 4 to 8 inch ramge

Are you planting in oat stubble?

Another trick is to spread some no till seed, thrn spread some more a few weekd later. Deer like ypunger rye, like 4 to 8 inch ramge

Are you planting in oat stubble?
Yes, they will take the oats off, bale the straw and I plan on going in with the no till drill right after.

Durana/Ladino with chicory

In late june I broadcast sugar beets into first three rows of corn along woods

A local seed company does a fall deer mix every year, and that’s usually what I go with.

Wheat 12%, Oats 12%, Rye 12%, Barley 12%, Triticale 12%, Winterpeas 10%, Crimson Clover 4%, Berseem Clover 4%, Turnips 4%, Rape 4%, Arrowleaf Clover 4%, Yellow Blossom Clover 4%, Vetch 3%, Alfalfa 2%, Silver River Clover 1%.
7f90c65d64905e00f6ce7f739ee4250d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A local seed company does a fall deer mix every year, and that’s usually what I go with.

Wheat 12%, Oats 12%, Rye 12%, Barley 12%, Triticale 12%, Winterpeas 10%, Crimson Clover 4%, Berseem Clover 4%, Turnips 4%, Rape 4%, Arrowleaf Clover 4%, Yellow Blossom Clover 4%, Vetch 3%, Alfalfa 2%, Silver River Clover 1%.
7f90c65d64905e00f6ce7f739ee4250d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a dandy mix my man