All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wisconsin... dates that stand out to me.

Big G-2

5 year old buck +
I hunt Southern Wisconsin, and I've noticed something over the past 10 years. It seems over and over again, I get the biggest bucks in my area, on trail cam, or by sight, cruising daylight hours Nov 8th - 12th. Just wondering if anybody else has certain dates for their hunting area that stand out for good shooter bucks? I now make sure I have some of my hunting vacation time banked for that time.

Daytime, mature bucks, Nov. 5th give or take a day or two.

I would agree with Big G-2. From my own experience in Juneau Co, I can tell you that as far as actual breeding goes, I have personally witnessed does being bred 3 different times on Nov. 13th. I think the 7 days leading up to that are when I would choose to be in the woods.

I hunt in the south half of Indiana....my best dates are Nov. 8th-13th, but anything form Halloween to Nov.13th is primetime. I know a lot of people take big ones in gun season, but opening day always seems to signal the end for me. I rarely see a nice one after that.

Halloween thru Nov. 15th here is prime time for buck movement. I want to be in the tree stands then for dark to dark sits !! For daylight sightings, I'd narrow it down to Nov. 5th to 15th. - - - 10 prime days.

Not Wisc., but the action is the same.

11/5 never fails in waupaca county in my experience

3rd-7th for any deer but the 11th-13th for the largest cruisers.

It seems like Halloween for me through the 6th of November. Percentage of sightings plummets after that...

I have consistently had some of the biggest bucks of the year on camera from October25-Halloween. I have made the mistake of waiting too long to go in to my best spots over the last 5 years. I think the rut should keep getting better, and I figure the best days should be around November 7th, but year in and year out my best mature buck activity/pics seems to be the end of October before peak breeding. I think if you have a resident buck who frequents your property the best time to get him is before November 1st, after the 1st, you're hoping for cruising bucks that a lot of time have not been around all fall. It seems that once November gets here the mature bucks don't have a problem finding a hot doe, and they are spending their time with a doe, not looking for one. I will be going into my best spots earlier this year than years past.