Wintering deer

That's a lot of burger.

What are they eating? Corn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of snow on the ground up there too.

I was just thinking that Grandpa was feeding the deer.
He buys 2 tons of corn a year I believe. They also have a dozen turkeys coming in to the yard. If the winter doesn't last too long we might have some deer around next year.

That is a cool pic!!

That's more deer than I have in ten square miles. Can you tell if they are all does. My FIL used to feed them when we had more deer. 20-30 would show up and I couldn't tell the difference. The bigger ones always stayed around the edges so I guessed those were bucks but I could never get a read on them.

I don't think this is a good practice but this was circulating around the internet several years ago. Blurb underneath said from Eagle River, WI

deer-feeding-corn-1.jpg

I am sure the DNR would pop a blood vessel if they saw that.

WOW. Post #10. That's a pile of hungry deer. I think if I had deep snow and terrible winter conditions, I'd put out bales of hay - and scatter them out so they weren't close. I don't think a corn-only supplement is wise. I wouldn't even consider feeding at all unless the conditions were so bad that the herd would take a huge hit. We don't see those conditions very often - maybe once every 10 years ?? And then they don't last that long.

Well the opening post shows more deer in one picture than I see in an entire hunting season on my place......maybe even 2 full seasons worth!