Winter Rye, Looks Like they like it.

Steven Tolly

5 year old buck +
The rye mixed into this field is three weeks old and the field is always full of deer and now bucks during daylight. This was supposed to be a turnip, radish plot, but it flooded so we overseeded rye into the remaining grass that came up after the flood. It seems to be working.

Attachments

• IMG_E3C32F7CCEEA-1.jpeg
    IMG_E3C32F7CCEEA-1.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 93
very nice!! They do love rye this time of year.

Looks good!

How long will they use the rye field. In the middle of Iowa we usually have a frost sometime in October. Will they keep using it? We also mixed some into our bean plots so my hope is underneath the beans there will be a nice carpet of green.

How long will they use the rye field. In the middle of Iowa we usually have a frost sometime in October. Will they keep using it? We also mixed some into our bean plots so my hope is underneath the beans there will be a nice carpet of green.

Mine use rye most all winter long, I've had them dig through snow to get to it. It will be some of the first green in the spring also.

zZnkEMR.jpg

EGGafOv.jpg

Last edited:
What Scott said ^^^ was our experience as well. They ate it pretty much year around.

That is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Guys.

I'm in Ne MO and they pretty much eat it from the time it comes up until spring green up of other plants.