Winter Peas / Questions?

TreesuitSC

5 year old buck +
Good Afternoon,

I am thinking of trying winter peas and oats for my fall plots. I have planted peas and soybeans and know that deer love them. Couple of questions? 1. How well do the deer prefer the winter peas? 2. Is it a good idea to plant with oats?

If it makes a difference I am in the Coastal Region of SC.

Thanks for the help.

Dustin

There are commercial ag blends of peas and oats so if your question is about how well they will grow together the answer is good. I have also had great luck planting winter peas with sunflowers. The frost takes them out up here but the deer hammer them up until that point.

I would suspect winter peas (frostmaster or Austrian - there are others) would survive your winter from a conditions perspective.....I have had them survive my winters. I have never planted them in a large scale so I don't know if they are a "magnet" or not. I don't plant oats because they will die here. I prefer to plant wheat or rye, but you may not need that level of winter hardiness..... Depending on other food sources in your area the peas may be under attack as soon as they germinate so make sure you use a cage to monitor growth and use.

I live in Greenwood County SC, zone 8A. Austrian Winter Peas works great for me. I usually plant oats about this time and then I sow my peas into it when the oats are about 16 to 18 inches high and then mow the oats about 8 inches high to protect the peas for a while. I have tried various other peas but the deer won't let them grow. I usually add a small amount of turnips and radishes in also.