All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wildflower seed storage?

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
I am sure Crazy Ed knows but anyone else feel free to chime in. I want to collect and store some wildflower seed for next spring. Talking primarily cone flower, blanket flower and wild sunflower. Whats the best way to store it?

TC- I've had success storing wildflower seeds in plastic bags in a cooler in a relatively cool dry basement. I've had no trouble keeping them two years that way. I always dormant seed my forbs in the second winter of a new CRP contract, so that herbicide can be used while the NWSG is getting established. Despite their small size they seem quite hardy.

I figured I would put them in ziplock bags in my fridge in the shop. Just didnt know if they would get too "dry" that way. We planted 3 acres into CRP42 (pollinator mix) this spring and I figured I would add a little more seed next year on my own as I have a seed source in some established plants.

Cool dry basement works good. Jars or coffee cans or ziplocks.