Wild Plum Source

Red

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have a source for wild plum seedlings? I was going to order from MDC today and they are sold out. They sell them for $0.40 a seedling. everything else I've found is substantially more. Looking for 25-50 of them along with red dogwood
Thanks

Check the Chief River Nursery, they have the seedlings but not at .40.

Alternate thought... Would anyone want to split an order from the MN DNR? Min order is 500, I don't need that many. I would be looking to split it 4 or 5 ways. I'd like to get the "Four season wildlife packet" - 100 each of wild plum, chokecherry, gray dogwood, crabapple, and white spruce. $265 + $33 shipping.
Anyone want in? I'm in the metro and my property is in Eagle Bend so I could meet either place.

I bought mine from Cold Stream Farms last year. No complaints.

I have 100 speckled alder coming from coldstream this may
I bought some of those last year as well from them. They taped them together in bundles. Had to be careful removing the tape as not to damage the Alder. I had 12 inch plantings.

I have them in mesh tubes..

Red - I am going to be planting my own wild plum seeds when the weather warms up. If it works well I can collect more seeds next fall if you wanted to try that.

I got the 2-3' ers from cold stream. I wasn't impressed, they came leafed out so that was part of the problem. I had 75% live but put on very little growth. On the plus side none of the survivors were browsed and weren't protected. I am hoping they take off this year.

i bought 25 of the 2-3 footers from cold stream last year and was very impressed. i caged 10-12 and tubed 10-12 and left a couple unprotected. both unprotected ones were browsed but are still alive. all of them i planted are alive, every one in a tube is out the top of the 4.5 ft tubes. several of the caged ones are well branched and higher than the 4 ft cages. most were planted in low very rich soil and those appear to have done a little better than the few i planted on higher drier ground. last summer had some ideal growing conditions as well

I had a grafted black ice plum that last winter killed.

There are lots of root suckers which I suspect are wild plum.

Alternate thought... Would anyone want to split an order from the MN DNR? Min order is 500, I don't need that many. I would be looking to split it 4 or 5 ways. I'd like to get the "Four season wildlife packet" - 100 each of wild plum, chokecherry, gray dogwood, crabapple, and white spruce. $265 + $33 shipping.
Anyone want in? I'm in the metro and my property is in Eagle Bend so I could meet either place.

I'd be interested. My property is about 5 miles north of eagle bend near county road 75. I won't be up until the 1st week of may but they usually don't ship until then anyhow. P.m. me if you decide to buy them.

The trees from the MN DNR are so much cheaper that you can probably get 500 plums there for the price of 100 from a different source. I've had really good luck with trees and shrubs from the MN DNR, so I would recommend buying them there.

I wanted about 50 or 100 white spruce transplants to put in this spring and I looked at a number of sources and decided it was just better to go with 500 from the DNR than 50 or 100 from some place else.

The 4 season wildlife packet is an awesome mix, so you can't go wrong there. Gray dogwood is a great shrub to have around. I've had good luck planting a variety of trees/shrubs even when I think one will work the best.

If you want red osier dogwood, it's pretty easy to grow them from cuttings in pots in the spring and transplant them in the fall. I've also had good luck collecting plums in late summer when they drop off wild trees and plant them under a couple inches of dirt right where I want them to grow the same fall that they drop off the trees. When I visit my hunting property in late summer/early fall, I usually have a bucket of plums and burr oak acorns to plant by hand for an hour or two. It doesn't get much easier than that and the survival is good. You can also grow plums from seeds in the spring and have nice potted 18+ inch shrubs to transplant in the fall. That won't help you much this spring, but in future years there are lots of options.

Thanks for all the info Ben.
For those interested in small quantities, last week I found that Iowa state nursery sells a make your own packet of 200 trees/shrubs. That is more like what I need for this year. Prices were the same as the mn dnr. I put in an order for 100 plum, 50 red osier and 50 elder berry. That with a bunch of apples should be enough work for one year.

Does anyone have a source for wild plum seedlings? I was going to order from MDC today and they are sold out. They sell them for $0.40 a seedling. everything else I've found is substantially more. Looking for 25-50 of them along with red dogwood
Thanks

FYI I ordered 1000 plum from MDC last week so they either got some in from another nursery which might not be a good thing or else had some orders cancelled. Not sure what is left. :)