Wild hog?

simpson

Yearling... With promise
What do you guys think? First feral hog on my place? I always laugh when I see trail cam pics of "unknown animals", but I think my denial of the fact that I have hogs on my place is getting to me. hog 2 (2).JPG

Took your picture and adjusted a bit... just would add if you're seeing one, there are most definitely more around... and just a few become MANY extremely quickly with hogs. Speaking from painful experience, do all you can as quickly as you can to control them. I had what I thought were just "a couple" crossing my place a few years ago. Between myself and two neighbors we've killed over 50 in the past year and I'm still seeing them regularly.

hog 2 (2).JPG

It’s pretty hard to tell what that is, a hog is as good of a guess as any. Go get em!

Where you located?

Located in southern Ohio. Pulled the card again today and just deer. It’s a dead pig if I see it.

That’s the strangest hog I’ve seen but I know how trail cams are when the animals are moving. I think that’s why it’s ears look so strange but I’m 99.9% sure that’s a hog. Put a green motion light on the feeder and camp out. She’ll be back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, it's a hog.

If you live halfway close or spend the weekends there, put a texting camera on the feeder and when it shows back up, go take care of the problem - if your state allows taking them at night. I live on my place in a hog rich area - and since I put up a texting camera - I have actually been able to beat them back to a manageable level. Have even gone a month or two without a picture of one - which has not happened in the previous fifteen years I have owned the place. I have a trap - but after years of trapping in the same location - the results go way down hill. These two showed up a week ago at about three in the morning and i didn't know it. They didnt come back for a week. Then showed up night before last at midnight - after I went to bed. Showed up an hour earlier last night - and WONT be showing up tonight.

AFED7370-94C7-4DA9-B97C-8D160426C40A.jpegCC0D5773-2683-4E48-A3F2-F3F04373C595.jpeg

That's a hog... Hate them things..

Tell me about your rifle and how you have it set-up

Located in southern Ohio. Pulled the card again today and just deer. It’s a dead pig if I see it.

I hear people talk about hogs in Ohio but fortunately I still haven’t seen one.

What county are you in? I hunt Vinton and Gallia county.

Reagan, I heard they are in Egypt Valley and that area. Someone kills a hog about every year while deer hunting in Ohio. Some of them are huge.

I tried hunting in Egypt Valley years ago. One DNR guy said they find sign from time to time, but the odds of getting one without dogs are very slim. He also said there are groups of guys who do run dogs, and they do fairly well. So far the wild hog population in Ohio has stayed below 1000animals, and the DNR wants every one of them shot.

"The greatest concentration of verified populations can be found in the unglaciated region of southeastern Ohio. Currently, known breeding populations of feral swine have been confirmed in Adams, Ashtabula, Athens, Belmont, Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Monroe, Ross, Scioto, and Vinton counties. Feral pig sightings can be reported by e-mail to the ODNR Division of Wildlife."

http://ohiodnr.gov/feralswine

Pig is in scioto county.

You should report it to the DNR.

Also, if you don't have the time or patience to hunt the hogs, they say traps are the most effective way to control them, especially groups.