All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild apples and crabs

cavey

5 year old buck +
Now is the time to be looking for those wild apple and crab trees you didnt know you had - up here in northwest Wisconsin anyways. Their coming into blossom and I always carry ribbon to mark trees I find. I also snap pics and geo locate trees I see in blossom. I try and keep track of a few to watch for drop times and fruit size along roads and in old pastures.

I do the same,but with persimmon and pears

I have planted thousands of bare root seedlings with mixed results

.........And then I discover a random,native persimmon tree loaded with fruit on an isolated forrest edge

Its easy to picture Mother Nature smiling as if to say "I'm in charge"

bill

I've located about a brazillion Callery pears in Ohio, and one wild crabapple. Next summer I'm planning a big effort to graft them over to useful varieties, especially Asian pears.

I'm planning to plant out a bunch of seedling Dolgo crabs at my place in Canada, and eventually top work the ones that thrive.

Here in Norway I have found a couple wild apple trees that I pruned up heavily this winter. They get a year or two to show what kind of fruit they produce before I start grafting to them. I've also started grafting apples for wildlife in sets of 3 on Antonovka. I have early, mid, and late season varieties I'm working with.

I also have a rather big seedling project that is ongoing. My supermarket seedlings are in stage 2 of their process, planted from their pots into a bed of loose soil/sphagnum blend. I'm now locating various Dolgos that I will collect apples from this fall, and use them for wildlife trees and rootstock.

I keep my eye out in the fall, after the vast majority of apple trees have been whacked by scab and rust! Now's a great time to spot trees to top work though.

I was our taking pictures of wild crabs and apples yesterday. I try and find something in the picture to indicate the location. Some I need permission to get close to, that are on private property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk