Who's working in the woods this weekend?

No snow here. Finished cutting down a couple trees today and opening up one of my food plots a little more. We’ve got 10 pear trees coming in Friday if shipping is correct. I hope to get out a couple times this week and pre dig my holes and make my cages. Six will go in my quarter acre plot and four more will be a little further down in one of my other plot areas. Hoping for good working weather this week.

480f663d21f31c5c2661b4038a2a00bf.jpg

Just got done with what I hope will be a be new hot spot. Just not sure what to plant yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transplanted some trees I planted last fall to better locations. Cut down a huge dead elm I had been meaning to cut for awhile. Dressed up tree tubes. Need to get seed ordered. Buckwheat, jap millet, Sudan grass/sorghum.

Just got done with what I hope will be a be new hot spot. Just not sure what to plant yet

That’s some good looking dirt for the middle of the woods.

That’s some good looking dirt for the middle of the woods.

Thank you. I got lucky It’s all mountain ground too.

Got out today to dig the holes for my fruit trees. I posted pics and a little more info on my land tour thread. It was cold and muddy but easy digging weather. Hopefully I can get out again Wednesday and get my cages built in advance. The trees should arrive Friday and get planted Saturday if shipping information is correct.

I made it back out again today and finished prepping for my fruit trees. Hopefully we’ll get planted on Saturday. I posted more detail on the someday isle property tour thread. I didn’t want to take up space here going into detail but if you want to see what I did today and offer any feedback I posted some pictures of my progress today.

Pruned my fruit trees yesterday. As long as the weather cooperates this spring I should get lots of fruit. My four pear trees all have a dozen or so fruiting buds. I'll thin them back to just a handful to keep them growing well. Plum trees(3) and cherries(2) are loaded with buds. Peach trees are a mixed bag, one tree has lots of buds, other just a handful. Apples I have 12 trees with 7 different varieties. Looks like 4 of the varieties have buds, with Zestar and Granny Smith having a ton.

Hopefully there'll be enough fruit so I actually leave some for the deer! Lol

Going to camp this weekend to prune apples and crabs.

Looks like I'm in your camp fellas. Got out for about an hour yesterday to due some pruning.

My god... started on the old orchard that had never been pruned. Some of them have potential yet.
But what a mess. Gunna take at least another 2-3 springs of pruning to get them into decent shape.
With some training this spring, could be alright.

A couple are gunna need a little help from the man above.
One had to be cut back to the ground to a recently developed side branch, main truck had to go, had been broke in half by deer a couple years back.
Probably removed more than 1/3 on him, but I figure give him one year, see how he responds.

A couple others are clinging to life, but their bark is so broken an blistered from years of abuse I'm just not sure.

Going to camp this weekend to prune apples and crabs.
Was just going to ask you if now is the right time for our area. I am headed up to do the same.
I hear we still had 4-6" of snow on Monday with more to come through this week. Friday's high is forecast at 26,..LOL!

Good to hear from you North Potter !! I checked the forecast for Saturday & Sunday near camp and it's supposed to be in the 40's and sunny. I'm told by a member who lives 3 miles from camp the snow's melted away for the most part. I sure hope so !! I suspect you've been getting some snow around your home ?? Our son is at PSU - Altoona so we get the skinny from him. Potter gets hit hard from the lake effect snows off L. Erie & some from L. Ontario if the wind is right. I hope you can get your pruning done up there.

Good to hear from you North Potter !! I checked the forecast for Saturday & Sunday near camp and it's supposed to be in the 40's and sunny. I'm told by a member who lives 3 miles from camp the snow's melted away for the most part. I sure hope so !! I suspect you've been getting some snow around your home ?? Our son is at PSU - Altoona so we get the skinny from him. Potter gets hit hard from the lake effect snows off L. Erie & some from L. Ontario if the wind is right. I hope you can get your pruning done up there.

Its good to catch up with you! camp still has a long way to go for melting. From my Neighbor in Potter this am:

snow at camp 1.JPG
snow at camp 2.JPG

yep, still snowing hard at home here at home too.
40's this weekend will be just fine. :) still going to prune...

Was going to burn. Had help lined up and my firelines established. Rain forecasted Sunday and Monday so I wanted to get it done.
We have had big wildfires the last couple days. Yesterday all our air national guard blackhawks were fighting fire so they got 2 more from Nebraska, and ordered more. They put a burn ban on today so I guess cutting down more trees is in my future.

I got back out again today and finished the process of planting my fruit trees. It’s the ten tree package from the wildlife group. That’s about six times I’ve made it out in the last two,weeks working on this project. It went really well considering it’s my first attempt at fruit trees. I’m not sure if I did it right or if they’ll survive but it’s been a fun learning process. I’ll post pictures and the full process on my land tour a little later today. Hers one pic of the finished project though. 56CDFB2F-2BFC-494A-8AA3-F59ECB1D4873.jpeg

Lifted the ban about noon. Helped a buddy burn his places. Wind wasn’t right for mine. We killed some cedars. Wind supposed to be right tomorrow.7BD6775F-98B4-4521-9D9B-FFC594C59E28.jpegB36A67F0-359D-4B2A-81B9-96FFCA83A6B4.jpeg7540C924-4E1E-4750-9693-00465FF05881.jpeg9A8A3E4E-3F34-49F4-903C-F8C7E7DF10A3.jpeg

Burned around th house today. With higher humidities, cloud cover , and cool temps I thought it would ramp down fire behavior. I was wrong. Got to admit it caught me off guard. I had my place broke up into units and after the second one we stopped. It’s raining now.DAA92DDC-8213-4684-B1B8-8E0AD4ACE7D2.jpegE52F3A7E-B5D7-41B9-B29E-A34DCAC95D10.jpegC5D05908-B77F-4A43-83C8-701890D63CA0.jpeg

I got up to camp this weekend and got all the apples & crabs pruned with the help of 2 other members. I spread lime around 6 of the trees that are in a clearing surrounded by pines. The ground there has some ferns and blueberry bushes (the low kind), so the soil is acidic. I have 6 ft. wide paths mowed through there, and grass is taking over for the ferns in the paths. I want the apple & crab trees to be able to absorb nutrients better in that area - thus the lime.

Pruning went well and I added some limb spreaders where needed. A few tie-downs were removed, as the branch angles were formed and hardened. We had only tied down about 6 or 8 branches out of all our trees, and all are untied now.

I frost-seeded more Alice white clover into an existing plot of perennial white clovers. Kopu II and Ladino are the other components of that plot. The soil showed physical signs of frost heaving. With more sunny, warmer days and nights below freezing forecast for the camp area, we should have good results from this frost-seeding.

We made an inventory of seeds and where we're going to plant what in this year's plots. Can't wait to get planting those plots !!

I went up, and accomplished a few minor things in the woods this weekend. I swapped out some camera batteries, pruned the apple trees, and cut one large pine down that was in the middle of my apple tree plot. I originally left it there so the plot wasn’t so wide open, but now it is just shading out the trees, and the plot. This was my first real pruning experience, and I had second guessed every cut I made. I felt like I left the trees to bare, even though there was a lot left on them. Basically I just removed any competing central leader, any inward growing branches, and most of the lower branches that were under 3 feet high. Also anything that looked dead. I know some of the trees should have been pruned a few years ago, as some had 2-3 main leaders about the same size and height. But I cut them back to just one. I just hope I don’t stunt them to bad, being last year was the first year I had apples. I have 20 apple trees in the ground now, and have a few on order to plant this spring.

Getting around in the woods was difficult, being we had a good 2 feet of snow still on the ground.

On a side note, Last year my property taxes went up a quite a bit, and I was meaning to ask why, and I ran into the commissioner, I asked him if it was a county wide thing, he said no. So I went about asking what could cause mine to go up, and he asked if I had made any changes in the past few years, I said I built a enclosed deer stand and planted a few apple trees, and he stated that both of them things could have caused my taxes to increase. I guess having some apple trees for deer, can be taxed for land improvements, because an apple orchard makes the land more valuable. Fricken government! They will dream up anything to take your money.

Last edited:
Yikes 4weyes, sounds like overreach to me,anything to pick our pockets clean.

Made it out as well,
finished pruning for the year
Frost seeded the clover plot, not sure how it will turn out, hoping it works better than the throw an mow did, otherwise I plan on busting out the tiller an breaking things up an starting over in the fall.
Then I made the strategic decision to take down the tree stand I shot my best deer to date out of. Can only hunt it with a S wind an even with that I was alerting to many deer to my location. So it was essentially a boom or bust stand. Either fill your tag or spoke deer if the thermals were not working in your favor. Decided to look for something better an shake things up.