Who's working in the woods this weekend?

Planned to continue the bedding area hinge work today. Well the snow from yesterday and the high winds had other plans. 4 trees were uprooted and fell across my access road. So 5 hours with the chainsaw to clear the war zone was today’s task. I still have a couple hours to clean up the tops and toss em into a pile. I did get more firewood outta the deal by the trail is a mess and bedding areas will have to wait a litrlw
Longer.

I hope this wasn’t the area the biologist was willing to pay for!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope just an area of shitty trees.
Got a locust thorn stuck in the arch of my foot a little bit ago so I am done for the day.

Got a locust thorn stuck in the arch of my foot a little bit ago so I am done for the day.

Yep EVERYthing around here has thorns or stickers too....
image.png

In a former life we did a lot of prescribed burning around Lake Merideth. There was one burn boss in particular who started the briefings with “if it sticks, stings, or bites it’s probably in this burn unit”.

Had to work this weekend but cleaning out bluebird boxes and hanging a couple more tomorrow. If time I'll do a little firewood cutting.

The arm scratches are sure familiar....I cant even seem to drive by my little woods without getting some kind of a cut!

I hope this wasn’t the area the biologist was willing to pay for!!!

Nope just an area of shitty trees.

That’ll end a day in a heartbeat. Those things are worse than goathead thorns. Ive flattened a couple tires on the truck from them.

Took another one today. My UTV tires are full of slime or I would have flats constantly. I’m pretty sure my 7yr old is an expert at plugging tires. Seedlings will be here next week so it’s planting time.

Played with fire a lot this weekend! Had some help, from a self-proclaimed "best tractor driver in the world" as well. Burned my switch - to facilitate spraying cool season weeds (stilt grass and thistle) and then cleared a kill plot. The warm weather and sunshine meant there was no way I was staying in the house!!!!
burn help.jpg

triangle.jpg

Yesterday, Monday, was the end of my weekend! It was nice to get outside to run some mud through my fingers. The farm is right on the edge of the western side of the Atlantic Coastal Plain. Point being it's relatively flat and the water table isn't too far below the surface. Sometimes its on the surface! The winds out of the last cyclonic bomb dropped on us Friday dried a lot of surface. It was nice to be able to stand on the ground and not in it!

Soil sampling was the order of the day. I'm reminded of the value of a good sampling tube. Yesterday I wished for a longer one. It was cool to push that thing all the way down to the handle and come up with a three foot soil profile. I thought about pictures, but for reasons I now regret I didn't do it. It always amazes me to see the different topsoil depths in the same field. Typically I sample different parts of the same field. By that I mean enough soil from different spots to generate a result from each subarea to put it another way. I must be getting old. One field. One sampling. One result.

Don't tell anyone, but I also spring planted clover! I really dislike having seed in a bag. Seed needs to be in the ground, not in a bag!

Finally, we checked trail cameras. After months of seeing bucks (hallelujah can't wait for next year), all have apparently, finally gone bald.

I have a terrible time with a Stealth camera. Even though I do full formats on my SD cards, this cam often doesn't like it! No SD card. Card Locked. Neither are true!

I got so frustrated I did a full erase on a card full of pictures! Fortunately the computer geeks of the world have provided we mortals with recover software -- for a fee! Like a good farmer, I justified the expense by rationalizing I'll probably need it again!

Went out for a bit to clear my mind an find some peace in the woods yesterday.

Kind of a surreal experience, figured it was finally time to take down the last of old box blinds Dad an I build about 18 years ago.
Still standing but the boards were rotting out. Almost nonfunctional now with how much the trees have grown up around it.
The tree in front was a self seeded scraggly runt less than a foot tall when it went up.

Still remember seeing the biggest deer of my life out of this stand.
Called him the ghost, he rose up out of the cattail slough on cold morning in which thick frost blanketed the switchgrass.
He crested the high point of a hill 150 yards away to stand in the morning sun to melt the frost that covered his back.
After a few grunts he paused an looked in my direction, only to slowly walk to the west with the sun at his back never to be seen again.
Could make out his main beams an G2 an 3s with the naked eye clear as day.
Maybe being a young pup new to bowhunting my mind made him bigger than he was, but I don't believe that was the case.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    864.3 KB · Views: 24
Hoping to burn today or tomorrow

Yesterday I overseeded four clover plots. Two of them will carry on, so I added a few lbs of Alice and Ladino. The other two will go to brassicas this summer, so I put down some cheap medium red at a rate of 10#/ac for the meantime.

No burning. Everybody was burning today and a lot of out of control fires. Weather is conducive tomorrow but expecting a north wind with gusts to 30 after midnight. I am not chancing an escape.

Gonna pick up all the firewood I have down and slay some locust trees instead.

It’s good to see this thread is still popping with activity! I’ve been gone for a few months now as I decided to part ways with my wife. I didn’t realize how toxic the relationship was until I “woke” up at the end of it. That’s all I am going to say. I have a two year old daughter that is now my main concern and priority. It’s strange to think she wasn’t during my marriage. I haven’t felt this good and happy now since college and I have been healing from all the emotional turmoil. I finally feel excitement again like it used to many years ago for just normal activities that are fun. I shot a pope and Young last year and didn’t even get excited. I knew then something was wrong as it was the first P&Y!

I’ll be back to the old self after all this blows over, but the past several months have been an upswing emotionally. Hope all is well and I can’t wait for the snowpack to start melting so I can hit the woods again!

4 side by side loads heaping full of hedge Mulberry and ash. Ran out of room so gave a full load to the neighbor. I’ll be hinge cutting around the edge of a small 1 acre NWSG field trying to sucker more deer in there. Also some living brushpiles for the deer and turkeys.C0AD3E6C-4987-4E4C-9E76-9DE171EC4EA0.jpeg

alldaysit, I feel for you. Life should be fun and rewarding. Hope everything works out for you.

I am hoping to get out next weekend. There still is 2-3 feet of snow in the woods right now, but with warmer temps in the 30s-lower 40s next week, it should cut that in half. I need to trim some apple trees, and open up the canopy a bit around my food plots that have started to get closed up a bit the last couple years. I may hinge a few trees as well.