Who made this cultipacker?

Powder

5 year old buck +
A couple years ago I saved this picture from the old forum with the intention of building something similar. I'm wondering if the person who originally built it is on this forum? If so, how did it work? Would you do it again?

Cultipacker.jpg

I remember seeing that too, but for the life of me I can't remember who posted it. It is very well built, that is for sure.

Seadonist made one similar

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here's one I made this spring. Didn't bother with the pillow bearings since I don't foresee them be necessary nor am I reaching highway speeds with it. I have about $60 bucks into it. Works great.

Attachments

• Packer.jpg
    Packer.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 152
I made one similar to it except added a blade from the frame to the packer to scrape off anything that sticks to it. We use it all the time and not just for our food plot.

I get a little build up on mine too but with my sandy soil it's not a huge problem.

Seadonist made one similar

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That project has actually been on the back burner all summer but I picked up the 2" square tubing, the 2" round bar and the pillow block bearings to do the build. I figured at roughly 48" long, my 15" ID corrugated culvert would weigh about 650 lbs full of cement before adding the weight of the steel frame to it. Add roughly another 150 lbs of steel for the completed product. I think 800 lbs should be plenty spread out over 48" of roller. I plan on welding the steel and then priming and painting black like the the one in the OP's pic. I'll post pics once I have it completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4d4fb2025f122cc2d64f0885d45fb971.jpg
7e2a10d576ddec6d13c5e1402d671368.jpg
de4786ca59e8aef3f6d19aadc6025824.jpg

Finally got it framed up and laid out. Going to fit the bearings on the frame, drill holes, prime and paint and attach transport wheels this weekend.Will attach a 2" trailer tongue with cotter pins so I can flip it over onto transport wheels.

Looks awesome seadontist! Is that 2" square tubing? It looks beefy!

3" tubing. Like I told you earlier, I tend to over build things. The frame only weighs about 65 lbs without the transport wheels

3" tubing. Like I told you earlier, I tend to over build things. The frame only weighs about 65 lbs without the transport wheels

Thats not bad! I was thinking it would be heavier than that.

Anyways, that looks really good!

Thats not bad! I was thinking it would be heavier than that.

Anyways, that looks really good!

Me too; I over estimated the weight of the frame. Thanks

So here's the final product: sorry for the delay but time is in short supply these days.
7dadf480ba6c109ea1498bb0fe411f2b.jpg
2954d6ed9eca9649f4ad2dc7a7a861d0.jpg

Actually, the final version will have transport wheels mounted topside. I used pins in the tongue attachment so I can flip it over for transport
dbfbadf7ea28bcb8810a2d2dafeb0df5.png

I am curios to know how do these handle doing tight turns? Built one myself, the only missing part is the hitch. The thing is a bear to turn around by hand, suppose with the hitch you get some leverage. I got to borrow a real one thus the reason for not finishing mine. On the real one with the multiple wheels it turns super easy because all the individual wheels turn at their own rate. Just want to make sure that it isn't going to be a problem.

I am curios to know how do these handle doing tight turns? Built one myself, the only missing part is the hitch. The thing is a bear to turn around by hand, suppose with the hitch you get some leverage. I got to borrow a real one thus the reason for not finishing mine. On the real one with the multiple wheels it turns super easy because all the individual wheels turn at their own rate. Just want to make sure that it isn't going to be a problem.

Haven't had a chance to use mine yet so I don't know but I'm thinking that 4 wheel drive is your best friend when pulling these things around.

Had the chance to use it yesterday. I estimate that it weighs between 550-600 lbs and I pulled it with my 2011 Rancher 420. The bike pulled it easily and I had to gas it a little in tight turns but it was really not a problem.
2cfaaa415bcb8aea693adc76b7f3b372.jpg

^^^ Did it pack/press the way you expected it to?

^^^ Did it pack/press the way you expected it to?

It did. I was actually surprised that it did as well as it did because my soil is a sandy loam that dries quickly so it was pretty hard but the packer left nice grooves in the soil. I made two passes just for good measure.

I'm glad it worked good, better get busy and finish mine.