All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White clover ID question

Turkish

5 year old buck +
We plant ladino white clover in a mix every year. Last year we got a flush of this clover, and this year it was even more prevalent. I do not think this is the same variety of white clover that we plant, but that it is native in the seed bank. The first photo shows one sprig of the ladino we plant, but lots of other smaller leafed, smaller bloomed white clover. What is it, and is it as beneficial to deer as the varieties more often used by hunters? As may be evident, it appears to be playing out, and it seems a little early compared to what I’ve heard about more common white clover varieties. It’s had plenty of rain this spring.

Attachments

• 57ECF91C-2A4A-436E-B902-5B1E20918700.jpeg
    57ECF91C-2A4A-436E-B902-5B1E20918700.jpeg
    778.6 KB · Views: 74
  • B4AA1166-82A8-460B-BC9F-FAFEDB9C87C0.jpeg
    B4AA1166-82A8-460B-BC9F-FAFEDB9C87C0.jpeg
    981.5 KB · Views: 73
Looks like white dutch to me. Deer by me eat it all throughout the growing season.

Looks more stemmy than varieties I’m used to, that’s for sure.

Looks like white dutch to me too, but also has some looks of ball clover.

I’m thinking it is ball clover. This was previous cow pasture, so I could absolutely imagine it may have been sown in the past. It’s odd that it has come on so thick this year, after plotting in this location for nearly 10 years.

Last edited:
Do I have a chance of getting any other white clover established there, with so much ball clover competition?

Do I have a chance of getting any other white clover established there, with so much ball clover competition?
I don't know if I'd want to. I could be wrong, but I thought ball clover was higher in protein than other whites. And, it reseeds heavily and bees really like it.

Certainly a good point. The ball clover has completely dried up in the last 2 weeks, which seems to be a characteristic. Ladino patches are thriving still. Without doing a summer planting now, I wish we could get a few more months out of our mixes.

Gotcha. I think I'd try to dilute it by overseeding in the fall with the ladino you want. But, when I was planting in Louisiana, even my Durana was feeling the pains of late southern summers. I'd consider throwing some red clover in. It should grow later into the summer.