When to graft rootstock

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
So I just got some rootstock in the mail, p18. When can I start grafting them? Do I plant them in a pot after grafting and keep outside? I am in western PA. Once in a pot, keep them until next year before planting? And can I plant them in a pot of compost/dirt.

Aim to graft them 2-3 weeks before your last frost date. They can be grafted, held in 50-60 temps for 2 weeks to callus them, then plant them out. They always do better in my experience when planted in the ground. Dig up and move them next Spring when they are still dormant.

How do you recommend storing the rootstock until grafting?

Planting trees in regular pots makes the roots twist up inside on them. You either have to cut or wrestle them out, or grow them in grow pots. Some folks grwo trees in shopping bags, they tend to control the roots somewhat, and you can expose the roots and trim the twisted ones.

I bought some no-name rooting pots from amazon. Was $35 for 10. These are 3 gallon. The preference is to put them in the ground, but I had to remove this tree to plant another one in it's spot.
Antonovka rootstock I planted in the ground spring 2022, cleft grafted with 2 pieces of trailman a few days ago. I have a small nursery spot with tons of trees in there already. I need to get the plum trees out of there before I put more in there.
20230315_175448.jpg

Hello,
I’m new to grafting and looking forward to next Spring.
I’m considering purchasing dolgo rootstock and grafting larger and later dropping crab scion.
Do I need to wait for a callus to form before planting outside or can I graft later when the rootstock is coming out of dormancy and immediately plant out in the garden or oermanent location? I don’t understand the process of waiting for a callus to form.
Thank you
Rubee

Grafting is a fine balance between drying them out before the rootstock comes awake for the year, and waiting too long before and having the graft dry out before waking up. Both collecting the scion and grafting it. Northeast area atleast, you can fall grafting in late august early september. However, buying or getting rootstock is a late winter / early spring thing.

If you can get rootstock now, either plant it where it will be permanently, or put it in your backyard. Anything uprooted and planted now will need to be watered every few days. June / july planting and letting mothern ature take over will likely not end well right now.

Grafting can be done at any stage of life in a tree. Plant your dlgo or P18 and graft it net year. Or graft it this fall, it fails, then graft again next year. Separating transplant shock and grafting shock a year apart makes it easier I think.

Do not call it a bad graft too soon. Had some grafts taking and leafing out in april. Sometimes, the rootstock wakes up, then makes leaves, and then sends life to the graft. In the northeast could be anywhere from april to late june. Sometimes you ned a good rain or two before the rootstock has engh energy to wake up that graft. Thought I had a dud tree from lowes this year. The keiffer pear was looking dry. The day i was going to return some unused lumber mid june I was waking to the tree to uproot it, it had buds coming out. This tree was dormant vs other trees at the store and they gae me 1/2 off the tree.