When are you taking vacation?

Hmmmm.........the teacher I know seems to get a lot of time off for hunting (and fishing) ventures throughout the year. Way more than I would think would be standard, but the spouse is the boss. :eek:

Some districts allow teachers to take unpaid leave. If I could afford it I could take a week off unpaid whenever I wanted. Also, many teachers will abuse their sicks days. I get 15 sick days a year. If I wanted to, I could easily call in sick because of "buck fever" for 3 days or so and get some treestand time in. That's just not my style. Don't think I've called in sick once in the past 7 years or so.

I know Bill! I've had to get used to it. Although I can't get out for a week or two straight, we do have a 6 week bow season, a 2 week shotgun season, and then a muzzleloader season that lasts until December 31st which allows me to get in some quality deer hunting. I am able to hunt just about every evening if I want during those 2 and a half months. I hunt all day Saturday, take my 5 personal days here and there when conditions are perfect, and when Christmas break hits I am able to get out and do a lot of hunting.

But yes, I often lament my inability to take vacation during deer season. It's actually more of an issue during spring turkey, as I can't hunt afternoons as per Mass. law and I just don't have it in me anymore to get out of bed at 3:30, to be on the mountain for 5, to hunt for an hour and then have to head back down at 6 or so, to be to work at 7.

I wouldn't do that for a turkey either and I like turkey hunting!

Some districts allow teachers to take unpaid leave. If I could afford it I could take a week off unpaid whenever I wanted. Also, many teachers will abuse their sicks days. I get 15 sick days a year. If I wanted to, I could easily call in sick because of "buck fever" for 3 days or so and get some treestand time in. That's just not my style. Don't think I've called in sick once in the past 7 years or so.

Do you get to accumulate your sick time if you don't use it? I won't lie, I would probably be sick a day or two in November. Think of the kids Natty, they probably need to watch a movie or two. :)

"Some districts allow teachers to take unpaid leave. If I could afford it I could take a week off unpaid whenever I wanted. Also, many teachers will abuse their sicks days. I get 15 sick days a year. If I wanted to, I could easily call in sick because of "buck fever" for 3 days or so and get some treestand time in. That's just not my style. Don't think I've called in sick once in the past 7 years or so."

I would hope you wouldn't call in sick, neither does my buddy. He says he doesn't call in sick because he feels guilty making $75K a year for only being at school 160 days out of 365. LOL

10\21, 10\28 through 11\6. 11\11

10-28 thru 11-6, but I just got back from a week in Canada goose hunting so I am good until prime time bow hunting: I bow hunt at home every chance I get also...in fact tonight following this cold front I will be in stand about 4:15

Do you get to accumulate your sick time if you don't use it? I won't lie, I would probably be sick a day or two in November. Think of the kids Natty, they probably need to watch a movie or two. :)

That's funny gwm! Think of the kids. Maybe you have a point.

My sick time does accumulate. I have 180 days in the books right now. Anything beyond 180 I lose as per my contract. So every year I get 15 more days that I lose if I don't call in. I have these 5 other days called "personal days" that I can use for anything I want....guilt free. So, I use those in November.

That's funny gwm! Think of the kids. Maybe you have a point.

My sick time does accumulate. I have 180 days in the books right now. Anything beyond 180 I lose as per my contract. So every year I get 15 more days that I lose if I don't call in. I have these 5 other days called "personal days" that I can use for anything I want....guilt free. So, I use those in November.

WTF? Do you realize how many years at the company all of us would have to work just to have 180 days sick leave ... 60 years of continuous service .... :eek:

Last edited:
WTF? Do you realize how many years at the company all of us would have to work just to have 180 days sick leave ... 60 years of continuous service .... :eek:

I burned almost 3 months of sick leave this spring with a shoulder injury and still have about 2-2.5 months left. So, I was pretty close before the injury. Total time with the company is 5.5 years. Next year starts my first year with 3 vacation weeks too. I have 2 on the books for next October and 1 for opening week of gun. But, I may change one of the Octobers to early September for over the counter archery elk in Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Nattybumpoo what industry are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you. If I'm sick, I'll use one. I'm just never sick. I think I've called in sick 7 or 8 times in 20 years of teaching. Even if I'm sick, I have to be really sick to call in. So, they just accumulate. I think when we retire we get something like 10% of the value of those days.

I am scheduled to be off 11/6-11/12

I hear you. If I'm sick, I'll use one. I'm just never sick. I think I've called in sick 7 or 8 times in 20 years of teaching. Even if I'm sick, I have to be really sick to call in. So, they just accumulate. I think when we retire we get something like 10% of the value of those days.
10% :eek:. I'd bank them in the early years in case I needed them but come my final couple years I'd be burning through them.

I get 12 days per year. Can bank up to 48 days. Once the bank is full any unused days earned get paid at 100% at the end of the fiscal year. In my case, most years I'm getting a check for 96 hours each year. If they were lost or paid at a low rate our sick calls would skyrocket, including mine.