Whats your go to brassica mix

I found Jeff's explanation for hating on DER....it's just cheap filler!

Brassica Blend
-My favorite brassica blend is available through Northwoods Whitetails, Inc., but regardless of what you use, the lower the % of Dwarf Essox Rape (DER), the better. DER is a cheap, low volume filler and the majority of high quality commercially produced brassica blends do not include DER. Variety is key! 5-7 seed varieties of rape, turnips and radishes is needed to create the highest level of attraction and use. After determining the appropriate window for your brassica planting, choose the 1/2 of your plot you want to grow the brassica base and make sure to plant before an expected rain event.

https://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/blog/best-2016-food-plot-mix

If the deer eat it, why is it filler?

for me he is 100% WRONG. My deer absolutely HAMMER the rape first. I mean I plant early august and they are eating the rape all through September. Then they start hitting the PTT and Radish after. the only reason I don't do a pure rape stand is PTT give them bulbs to eat through winter and the ground hog radish is great for the soils.

That is exactly the point ... DER is fast vertical food source, alleviates the pressure off of the slower growing ground bulb brassicas.

At $2.50/lb pretty cheap filler if they are eating it.

My deer must be bottom feeders because they slam the DER as soon as it sprouts. Tillage radish they turn their nose up at but again, I plant that for soil purposes.

They do act differently in different areas. J-bird can’t get them to eat PTT and they won’t leave mine alone. So who knows?

PTT and Radish. Deer in my area don't hit them until after a good frost. I paid $4.00/lb today.

My deer must be bottom feeders because they slam the DER as soon as it sprouts. Tillage radish they turn their nose up at but again, I plant that for soil purposes.

They do act differently in different areas. J-bird can’t get them to eat PTT and they won’t leave mine alone. So who knows?

Is there anything out there on determining what causes the big gap in deer preferences? Is it just local herds being different or anything associated with soil condition like low ph? This is an interesting area to explore.

That is exactly the point ... DER is fast vertical food source, alleviates the pressure off of the slower growing ground bulb brassicas.

At $2.50/lb pretty cheap filler if they are eating it.

If the deer eat it at will then I would say it serves just as much function as the rest of the seeds in the mix, goes to show deer dont cate about the price of it.

Is there anything out there on determining what causes the big gap in deer preferences? Is it just local herds being different or anything associated with soil condition like low ph? This is an interesting area to explore.

I'm no agronomist or ruminant expert. But, I'm told my soil plays a large part. If a guy has close to optimal PH, the right quantity and balance of macro nutrients, then considers other nutrients like sulfur, boron, then there's a good chance deer will like the way his turnips taste.

The couple of deer I have walking around my place in the Fall are so damned hungry they'll eat about anything I plant. But everybody's situation is different. It's tough to make a living in the Kooch, for people AND deer.

Edit - More gypsum!

Last edited:
If you can buy from your local co-op, great! Good local resource, fresh turn over of seed, and they will accommodate your needs.

I buy over 500 lbs plus of seed every year so freight costs are important with the freight cost savings they provide. Probaly 200 lbs plus from them.

Welter's is are also AG focused so you know you are getting fresh seed, unlike the BOB's who are 3rd or 4th party re-packager's of seed.

Welters is great for your situation. I took advantage of their shipping deal one year when I needed 50lbs of clover. Will do it again when we replant in a year or two. They’ve got a greater selection of everything so I often bit the bullet and ordered from them without the shipping deal. It used to be pretty minimal but now they’ve added extra charges here and there so I’ve gone to the local coop more recently.

I plant a clover chicory mix and over seed in late July with sugar beets, also broadcast sugar beets into corn rows along woods. For whatever reason deer just don't touch radishes in my area and barely touch turnips and only when there is no other choice late season...so sugar beets is all I bother with.

I think it's interesting too. I've long believed that regional soil differences affect plant mineral uptake and plant palatablity. I also find it interesting that soil composition affects the actual plants that grow in certain areas. We have a lot of cattle pasture and weeds like thistle can be a problem. Chemical is useful in fighting thistle but until you address the soil conditions you will never keep them under control. Point being... I think soil is important. And deer won't touch turnips on my place but they do like to eat radish tops.

Go gypsum!

I think it's interesting too. I've long believed that regional soil differences affect plant mineral uptake and plant palatablity. I also find it interesting that soil composition affects the actual plants that grow in certain areas. We have a lot of cattle pasture and weeds like thistle can be a problem. Chemical is useful in fighting thistle but until you address the soil conditions you will never keep them under control. Point being... I think soil is important. And deer won't touch turnips on my place but they do like to eat radish tops.

Go gypsum!

Totally makes sense, excellent info. I suppose certain plants can also be a bit more finicky with their attractiveness relative to the soil condition too, where as some crops have a more consistent attraction with less soil condition impacts.

Ill be getting soil tests done soon, does anyone have a good recommendation on a soil test that provides more detail like micro nutrients?

I'll be getting brassicas in the ground around 7/27 this month in SW WI, praying for this rain to stick around to help them out. I'll be postin lots of pics!

I planted deer creek premium brassica blend on 7/26. I planted at about 5lb per acre per their guidelines, although I think this will end up being too thick. I mixed about 25lb per acre 4010 peas into the brassicas as well. It's a throw and roll method (broadcast the ran overy with atv) into last year's rye, worked really well so far, but we had about .5 inch of rain within a day of planting which helps. I've definitely noticed better germination in areas with a mulch layer, but the plants do seem to be a little slower growing.

I also planted some honey hole 8/4 in another location. Next pics of that will be on Sept 14, praying for timely rains.

Attachments

• Snapchat-526736343.jpg
    Snapchat-526736343.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 47
I planted Arrow Brassica Plus on a 1 acre plot on 7/30. We had a few nice cool nights with lots of dew in the mornings and in noticed last night i had growth already. I did decide to broadcast some kale into it last night as well just for a little more. This was my first time trying a premix. In the past i planted DER and Kale, but they destroy it quick, thinking about an electric fence since this is a bow season kill plot. In the past i have planted radishes and turnips but they never touch them so we will see how things go with the Arrow Brassica Plus. I'm also trying their shade mix in Throw & Mow spot and next year i plan to try their green screen to create a small border for my kill plot.

We produce the blend that Jeff Sturgis refers to.
1) No, he does not have a contract, big check or is paid to say that about DER.
2) He helped design our original mix in 2012 and we choose Athena rape as it produces more forage per acre over DER. We lost one of our suppliers for Athena and now have an even better ( in my opinion) choice for a forage rape.
If I can get more tonnage from a different variety, why would I use DER. That’s not saying that there is anything wrong with it. But if our mix only has a small percentage of a forage rape in it, I want the most tonnage I can get, and DER is not it.
Nothing wrong at all with using Dearf Essex Rape, but it’s not for me if I have another choice. If I didn’t have another option , I would probably use it.
Just my opinion

We produce the blend that Jeff Sturgis refers to.
1) No, he does not have a contract, big check or is paid to say that about DER.
2) He helped design our original mix in 2012 and we choose Athena rape as it produces more forage per acre over DER. We lost one of our suppliers for Athena and now have an even better ( in my opinion) choice for a forage rape.
If I can get more tonnage from a different variety, why would I use DER. That’s not saying that there is anything wrong with it. But if our mix only has a small percentage of a forage rape in it, I want the most tonnage I can get, and DER is not it.
Nothing wrong at all with using Dearf Essex Rape, but it’s not for me if I have another choice. If I didn’t have another option , I would probably use it.
Just my opinion

The deer on our place won’t touch the tops of anything with the exception of radish. Heck a lot of years they won’t eat bulbs either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The deer on our place won’t touch the tops of anything with the exception of radish. Heck a lot of years they won’t eat bulbs either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think influences whether the deer hit the bulbs or not?

I haven't paid that close of attention to it to say one way or the other. I just know some years they eat them others they don't. Snow cover, left over crops, temp, who knows.

If you want a pre-mix bag of seed, consider Welters Big Buck Brassica mix. It is $2.50/lb and has a good mix of PTT, GHR, DER, & Pasja Hybrid Brassica.

I looked up Shot Plot ... it is between $6.50-$8/lb :emoji_astonished:

Big Buck Brassica Mix
Bingo. I bought 20 lbs for $66 shipped. Didn’t realize they had shipping discounts at 25/50 pounds.

LC brassica mix, he had it figured out. I can't get them to eat brassica in Indiana, but keep planting a few hoping they start. I can't plant enough in NE MO, but the previous owner of my farm said when he started they didn't touch them there for a couple years.