Whats your go to brassica mix

djw195

A good 3 year old buck
What's your go to brassica planting?

I'm looking at options, between Bob and mill seed.

For buck on bag seeds, what mix have you had the best success with (both in deer usage and ease of growth)?

If you prefer mill seed, what have you had the best success with (both in deer usage and ease of growth)?

For those experimenting this year, what's in your new mix and why?

Thanks all and good luck this season.

I use PTT, rape, radishes and kale at about 6-8#/acre. When buying I buy equal amounts and mix.

If going BOB, Shot Plot has always been a good one. I usually mix my own now, and I am usually somewhere close to Scott44's.

PTT, DER, GHR in thirds, because it's simple and proven. This year, I'm adding a pound of Kholrabi, just for something to do.

I use Purple top turnips, DER and what ever radish my local guys has. Either daikon or ground hog.

I don’t see much radish use but it’s good for the soil.

PTT, GHR, Kale, & red clover.

Groundhog, daikon, radishes, Purple top turnips dwarf Essex rape. I go heavy on the radishes though. My deer tend to prefer radishes over any other type. This year though, I am trying some purple top rutabaga. Buck on bag blends, Forage feast Big n' Beasty is hard to beat.

My deer prefer tillage radishes over any other brassica. Last year I had decent usage of the PTT though so I'm going to keep them in the mix. I think I'm going to leave out the non tuber varieties this year as I don't see the usage. I spring planted Kale this year with my summer mix so we'll see how that gets used.

To answer your question I will be planting Tillage Radishes and Purple Top Turnips in my "Mix" this year.

My brassica goes in around 8/10, the radish tops see heavy use in early October and then the plot is left alone for the most part until Feb.

Tillage radish and purple top turnips. I've also had very good results with Antler King Honey Hole.

This is the only BOB mix I use for any seed and it's always Shot Plot. I have had great luck with it , so I just keep using it. I pant maybe an acre a year in brassica, so it isn't worth buying seed and mixing it.

If you want a pre-mix bag of seed, consider Welters Big Buck Brassica mix. It is $2.50/lb and has a good mix of PTT, GHR, DER, & Pasja Hybrid Brassica.

I looked up Shot Plot ... it is between $6.50-$8/lb :emoji_astonished:

Big Buck Brassica Mix

Winfred, PPT, Radishes. Bag of rye first week of September

Awesome responses everyone.

I only have about 1 acre of brassicas to put in, so Bob mixes won't break the bank hence why I'm looking at them. When you add shipping or extra costs, ordering by the pound from distributors is less ideal.

As for Bob candidates, honey hole is at the top considering I've had excellent results from antler king. I've seen what some have as well, most attention toward radishes than any other, and I don't believe honey hole contains any radish so I may have to supplement.

I'm considering other options like big n beast and a local company to me Maxi-Rack, due to the inclusion of radish and cold temp seeds such as winfred or kale. They are both around $40 per acre, which is reasonable.

I do cover all my plots with 100lb per acre winter rye to supplement.

As Tree Spud said in post #11 - we've been using Welter's "Big Buck Brassica Mix" for several years now and it does great for us in north-central Pa. mountains. The story goes that they were selling so much of the 4 individual seeds, they decided to make a mix of those 4 varieties and sell it for a good price. Our deer hammer it. $2.50 / lb. and as long as they're selling it ……… we'll be buying it.

I use the same as Scott. Kale,dwarf rape, groundhog radish, and purple top turnips. They all have there preferred time to be hit at my place. Groundhog gets hit first but is very browse tolerant and get used thru Oct. Kale and rape from first frost till its gone. Turnips bulbs get hit hard in winter after everything else is gone. I usually plant my radish alone. The others are mixed together.

I saw a video with Jeff Sturgis where he talked about the brassica blend he buys and how he likes it because it has no DER. Evidently he’s not a fan of it. Not sure why.