All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's in your feeder?

tsawyer340

Yearling... With promise
Getting ready to set up the feeder for the year. I sure the majority answer will be corn, but I'm wondering how many of you have tried anything else like soybeans, oats or sunflower seed with any success?

Most of us don't bait......

My answer is nothing. It is both illegal here and outside my personal ethical bounds.

^ This.

Bird seed ... and they are hanging 10' off the ground. I don't feed domesticated animals ...

I won't be hunting over it as I don't hunt over my food plots I just run it to give them one more reason to stay on my property and away from the orange army.

Ya......ok

Thanks for your help.

If you want help just ask! Lots of good guys willing to help on this place. Put your corn out for inventory. Create habitat to hold deer!

I plant food plots.
Baiting not legal or ethical.

When I want deer meat in NJ. I bait with corn, it's legal.
I'm not hunting, I'm shopping for burger and I go where the line isn't to long.

Just sayin.

When I want deer meat in NJ. I bait with corn, it's legal.
I'm not hunting, I'm shopping for burger and I go where the line isn't to long.

Just sayin.

When I want Burger, I go to my buddy Kenny's Butcher Shop and get some ground sirloin!

Just sayin....

I won't be hunting over it as I don't hunt over my food plots I just run it to give them one more reason to stay on my property and away from the orange army.

When I said it was illegal in my area, I wasn't referring to hunting over bait (which is illegal). Feeding deer during our hunting season (whether you are a hunter or not) is illegal. This regulation was implemented when CWD was first found in a county in another state that borders ours.

I will say this. Keeping deer on a property is much more about controlling hunting pressure and providing security during hunting season than feeders. There are lots of negative aspects of using supplemental feeders. Beyond the disease issues associated with concentrated food sources, what happens when you stop using a feeder. If I plant food plots and then stop, nature goes through a process of succession that slowly over time diminishes the food source. If I stop using a feeder, the food source is suddenly removed.

On my place, we are both managing habitat and using food plots. I'm slowly moving from food plots toward permaculture. As long as it is legal in your area, you've got to make your own choice. Weigh the pros and cons and do what you think is prudent.

Thanks,

Jack

I don't have a Kenny that wants to give me 50 lbs of free sirloin.

I do have a wife that wants 50 lbs of free burger.

I'll take the wife :D.

I don't have a Kenny that wants to give me 50 lbs of free sirloin.

I do have a wife that wants 50 lbs of free burger.

I'll take the wife :D.

Free?, deer hunting is free? Bahahahahahahaha!

I believe Dr Kroll's books recommended feeding corn from Sept to Feb 1 and protein supplement from Feb1 to Sept 1
From trough feeders not spin feeders. It is more helpful to the deer in places where row crops are absent. Concentrating deer increases disease risk as yoderjac said but in times of drought it is a good back up to help your deer when food plots and natural foods are lacking. I contacted a local farmer about buying some bulk soybeans for protein supplement this late winter. Roasted soybeans are supposed to be better nutritionally but I don't have a source.

...but I'm wondering how many of you have tried anything else like soybeans, oats or sunflower seed with any success?

Accidentally once spilled some sunflower seeds when planting a fall plot that the deer hoovered up for me. Never had realized before how much deer like sunflower seeds.

Like most that responded I wouldn't have a feeder. Too much damage to the habitat immediately surrounding the feeder for me, (and I hate hunting deer that have visiting a feeder location as part of their routine.)

I have protein stations out in areas where I do not hunt, mainly because there is no good entry/ exit point. I use banks 275 protein feeders and they work great. I am not far enough along in the program to notice the results and I expect it will take a few years. I am the only one with food plots for miles around so I find it important to supplement the herd. I do not have enough ground to put into plots to handle the pressure all winter, rocks suck! As for what is in the protein feeder, I prefer record rack berry flavor and the deer eat 300lbs+ a week.

I feed shelled corn year round along with fruit & nut trees, food plots, water holes, ponds, cover strips, mineral sites, bedding cover and anything else that will hold deer on my place and benefit wildlife.

Several different things to comment on here. If you are going to put out a feeder especially in the late fall and winter months I wouldn't recommend corn because it can kill a deer because of acute acidosis. A deer's diet consist mainly of woody browse in the winter time unless you have an abundant source of food plots that will last all winter which is doubtful. With the woody browse being their main diet they can not digest the corn and it can kill a deer in a quick as 72 hours. Feeding deer corn in other times of the year when new vegetation and acorns/berries are abundant is okay but still not great because the additional nutrients in the stomach can help break down the corn and help them digest it. So I would recommend something like soy beans or one multiple different deer feeds that are designed for this part of the year. Now on to the reasoning for the game and inland departments and there stance on taking feeding out for hunting season because of the spread of CWD. This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. So deer can only contract CWD or other diseases from September first through the start of January give me a break. If you don't want the spread of diseases don't allow feeding at all not just when hunting season it in. I personally don't believe in baiting for deer but their reasoning is idiotic for the time they take out the feeding of deer. Just my two cents.