All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best clover or clover mix. location to get some?

n/a

• no

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

northernpotter

5 year old buck +
Any help would be appreciated . I am from Lancaster county pa.Thanks.

That's a tough question... what are you trying to accomplish and where will this plot be planted? Backwoods... field edge... dry soil, wet soil? I have had good luck with ladino and white dutch. I also like medium red. Seems to grow well in my area up in the north.

I like ladino and chicory mixed for my area, its what I plant in my orchards and I put in a couple acres of it along the woods..

I get it here; http://burtchseed.com/cover-crops/

I have bought from hancock seed and got good deals on clover before

That's a tough question... what are you trying to accomplish and where will this plot be planted? Backwoods... field edge... dry soil, wet soil? I have had good luck with ladino and white dutch. I also like medium red. Seems to grow well in my area up in the north.

:emoji_slight_smile:

Last fall I used a combination of medium red and ladino white with my cereal grain mix. It's off to a decent start. I overseeded Kopu II and white Dutch this spring to see what happens. I didn't need it but I wanted an excuse to go do something. I can already see the baby clover coming in from that. From everything I've read on this forum a blend is a good idea in case one or another doesn't perform in any particular instance. It was very cost effective for me to use the local grain elevator for my seed source. I can't imagine paying premium dollar for a special blend when you can get the same stuff locally from a reliable source. I used valley park grain elevator outside of St. Louis. They're fifteen minutes from my house and loads of help with fertilizer and lime too. I just ordered fertilizer from them based on my soil test. I like having an experienced and knowledgeable resource to buy from. The guy that runs the place knows his stuff. Id bet there's someplace like that within driving distance of you too.

Perennial cool season mix - I mix ladino white clover, some sort of perennial red clover and chicory. I have added alfalfa in the past, but it isn't required or anything "magic" in my use either.

As for a source - it depends on the size of your plot and what you have access to. A local seed supplier/coop should be able to help IF you have need for a decent amount....this can save you some money. Keep in mind they tend to carry varieties aimed are for feeding livestock. It will work fine, but they are not the varieties specifically created for deer. IF you simply have 1/2 acre or so plot in mind - there is no shame or harm in planting a BOB (buck-on-bag) type mix from Biologic, Antler King, or the other glossy bagged providers out there. Just read the label (seed tag) on the bag to make sure you understand what you are buying. Many of these mixes are distributed over a large geographic area so they tend to include some seed that you may not be interested in. Lower quality mixes will even include grass seed and the like as "fillers" just to get something green to grow. I buy these fancy bag mixes when I am in a hurry or just need a small amount - it's just more convenient. I have used Biologic, Antler King and Evolved Harvest brands before....again read the tag and make sure your getting what you want/need.

Just got back from our cabin in Potter. thanks for the replies. It is in an open area below the cabin . Good soil but stoney. We have some red and white clover mix in now. But wanted some other ideas for the future. Used 10-10-10 fertilizer and pelletize lime, it came up real nice and thick. Deer seem to eat it almost dailey.