All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if you can't get fertilizer next year?

I dont care if you peronally use fertilizer or not, this is absolutely obscene - and this is for 40 lbs
Obscene to the high side I take it? I have never bought the triples, so I'm not sure where it used to be priced. When I used to use fertilizer, I'd get MAP, potash, and ammonium sulfate in 5 gallon buckets.

Obscene to the high side I take it? I have never bought the triples, so I'm not sure where it used to be priced. When I used to use fertilizer, I'd get MAP, potash, and ammonium sulfate in 5 gallon buckets.
This was in the $13/$14 range last yr

Lots of stuff has gone up 2x-3x. High inflation, and more importantly, consumer expectation of high inflation, gives businesses cover to raise prices. Human psychology seems to be "Buy it now before the price goes up more". If wages don't follow, consumers hit a point where they start to do without. They become more price sensitive and competition kicks in and things slow down.

I don't want to admit what I just paid for 500 Federal 210 LRPs on Gunbroker... :emoji_astonished:

Not a re-loader I take it?

I generally keep 6000-8000 primers on hand when this round of crazy comes to an end I’ll likely boost that to 10,000 or more.

Not a re-loader I take it?
My buddy in high school had a multi-stage reloader for shotgun shells. We would reload shells we used to shoot clays to save money back then. I've never reloaded rifle or pistol ammo. The LRPs are for my new smokeless muzzleloader that uses LRPs in the modules.

Thanks,

Jack

I generally keep 6000-8000 primers on hand when this round of crazy comes to an end I’ll likely boost that to 10,000 or more.
There was a primer scare back in about 2000. I decided that those were the one item you cannot run out of. I was shooting a lot of Prairie Dogs and target shooting back then.....so I loaded up on primers. I now have over 50,000 primers remaining from those days. Most are Winchesters. Kinda a mix of LR / SR / SP and a some competition primers. I have lots more LR primers than I will use. May consider selling some when I get back this summer. Not sure what the going rate is currently?

There was a primer scare back in about 2000. I decided that those were the one item you cannot run out of. I was shooting a lot of Prairie Dogs and target shooting back then.....so I loaded up on primers. I now have over 50,000 primers remaining from those days. Most are Winchesters. Kinda a mix of LR / SR / SP and a some competition primers. I have lots more LR primers than I will use. May consider selling some when I get back this summer. Not sure what the going rate is currently?
Just go to gunbroker and take a look!

Wow. I suppose it's time to sell some.
As I said I’ll wait this round of crazy out and then stock back up.

We just got back from the grocery store. I decided I can’t afford to eat anymore. Prices are about double what they were a year ago, on everything.
I've learned a lot at the grocery store this past 6 months.

-The produce is getting bad quality-wise
-I could tolerate the higher prices, but I can't tolerate the shrunken size and pre-rotted nature of so much of it.
-It is important now, more than ever, to be healthy. It's time to get serious about growing my own nutrition. I just cannot eat most store produce any longer. There aren't enough synthetic flavorings I can put on that stuff to choke it down.

-I could tolerate the higher prices, but I can't tolerate the shrunken size and pre-rotted nature of so much of it.
-It is important now, more than ever, to be healthy. It's time to get serious about growing my own nutrition. I just cannot eat most store produce any longer. There aren't enough synthetic flavorings I can put on that stuff to choke it down.
We have had the same thoughts about produce. Changing times for sure.

I wish I would have bought fertilizer stocks in 2020. I think Mosaic was under $10 a share. It’s over $70 now!!

Even growing your own is expensive. I usually put up 200 ears of sweet corn. I buy it from the grocery store in season - last year at $.25 per ear. $50 for 200 ears. Just paid $52 for two lbs sweet corn seed. I had to spray gly on the planting ground. Tractor work to get there and plant. I already laid down some high dollar Urea. Will take some more in about thirty or forty days. Then it will be an all out war to keep the coons out. If sweet corn is 25 cents an ear this summer, it is a losing proposition. I bet it is going to be higher. 80 cents right now.

I am giving the milpa garden a try. Green cover was offer a porgram where they give you the seed if you donate 1/2 of it. Figure this would be a good year to get back into gardening. took a 7 or so year break from it.

Also, I have used the old school slash and burn method. Burn what I cut down, then spread the ashes. The spot where the fire was always grows really well.

Got a baddy who heats with wood? Maybe ask for the ash and pick him up a bag or two of rock salt or some sand for his dirveway instead. Lots of folks in the catskills burn firewood and use it for their icy driveways.

Im going real light on existing plots, likely 1/2 6-24-24 and 1/2 pot ash. But, getting some triple 15 for garden usage. Im the only one eating venison at home, think I will be chootin' 2 this year. Been doing 1 past few years.

I am giving the milpa garden a try. Green cover was offer a porgram where they give you the seed if you donate 1/2 of it. Figure this would be a good year to get back into gardening. took a 7 or so year break from it.

Also, I have used the old school slash and burn method. Burn what I cut down, then spread the ashes. The spot where the fire was always grows really well.

Got a baddy who heats with wood? Maybe ask for the ash and pick him up a bag or two of rock salt or some sand for his dirveway instead. Lots of folks in the catskills burn firewood and use it for their icy driveways.

Im going real light on existing plots, likely 1/2 6-24-24 and 1/2 pot ash. But, getting some triple 15 for garden usage. Im the only one eating venison at home, think I will be chootin' 2 this year. Been doing 1 past few years.
I'm renting an excavator for another few days this summer. I think this year I'll spend more time doing subterranean milpa hugel bed construction than I will habitat work.

SD1555,

Hugel beds..... Never seen them before. They look pretty interesting. Might try a mini one. I have a small pile of 12 inch dia or so willow branches I have been relucant to split. Sure that would compost a bit easier than hardwoods.

Putting some effort on feed me directly. Price of food plus price of gas going out of town will give me some free time in the backyard.

SD1555,

Hugel beds..... Never seen them before. They look pretty interesting. Might try a mini one. I have a small pile of 12 inch dia or so willow branches I have been relucant to split. Sure that would compost a bit easier than hardwoods.

Putting some effort on feed me directly. Price of food plus price of gas going out of town will give me some free time in the backyard.
I went through the grocery store tonight to try to get something to eat. I went to a different store this week because I've been on the hunt for some potato starch. If you added up the empty shelves, and the shelves that have been stealthly faced with a single row of remaining product, I'd bet you 50% or more of the items in the store are out, or nearly out of stock. This ain't about money and price anymore, it's about availability, and nothing more.

Now, hugel mounds. There's a gazillion different ways to do them. I'm building mine out of what is there, and I'm going below ground to make it more drought resilient. I have 6 big aspen trees laying on the ground as of a week ago that will make up the borders of 3 beds, each about 22' long. I took the first 22' feet of the trunks and limbed them clean. Then I'll drag the rest of the tree out in one piece and use the excavator (and thumb) to hold it over the trench I'm gonna dig and slice it up with my chain saw. I'll strip the topsoil off and put that down as my first layer of soil, then more wood/brush, then the subsoil, and then some rottted wood chips and alfalfa pellets on top. Should look something like this.

1650329462017.png

It takes these things a year or two to switch on if you go heavy carbon (Big wood, no manure), but once they get going, should give in perpetuity if you can keep sourcing mulch for the top. I've got my eyes on some cattails and canary grass for that idea. Once it's up and running, that'll be 4 feet of the best damn growing medium on earth.