What are they lookin like?

Maya - I've read something about scoring, but haven't tried it. How far above a bud and how deep do you score with the knife ?? I'm not opposed to trying that.

About 1/4" above you can take a knife or preferably a thin saw blade cut into the bark until you hear a pop. I just use one of my saw blades on my leatherman. Push into the bark, it will pop when you break through the bark. You want to break the flow of that cambium layer. Sometimes I rockit back and forth once I break it. I have good luck with it.

I like it Maya.

You guys got it going on. Trees looking great as always NH!

I'm new to managing fruit trees. I started my orchard in the Spring of 2015 with 10 trees from Chris at Turkey Creek. They're all healthy and I got my first apple this year, a Liberty.

CE4C776C-AFF8-400E-BE97-45D340FC61F2.jpg

Walmart had some 7 foot Stanley Plums on sale this spring so I picked up 3 for under $60. They're putting out fruit already.

DF8B5436-B14E-4F10-9686-90EF24951F32.jpg

Kieffer pears have really put on some growth their second year. These were under the top of the cage last year.

71E913BB-826B-4061-9C8B-B62632E9EA28.jpg

Weasel - Our Kieffers are in year 3. Wait until you see how they shoot up in the 3rd year !! Ours are about 12ft. tall now. We like 'em !!

Ummm Bows....Post some pics man! That's what this thread is about!

Man I cannot wait for the day that my trees look like this. One day man, one day!
Well posts some pics of what they look like now! Love to see 'em BV!

Maya - post #62 ........ Thanks for the info on scoring. I'll try it come spring and see what happens. I have a couple trees that have gaps between laterals of 3 to 4 ft. Those trees are only 4th leaf. I'm thinking I need to have more laterals to be building wood for fruit loads.

As far as pix - I've taken a load of them, and I don't have a " smart phone " to be able to use the tapatalk thing you guys mention. The pix are on a digital camera and my wife and I can't seem to get them to go from the camera to the forum. I have to get off my a$$ and ask my other neighbor to show me how to up-load them to the forum. He's a computer programmer, tech-y guy who I'm sure knows how to do that. I have a GOB of pix of the trees at various stages of growth, and some of the camp's surroundings and spruce plantings, pond, etc. My neighbor refs soccer games in the area and he also travels for his job. I see him about twice a month. When I see him next, I'll ask him to show me how to up-load the pix from the camera.

I have Windows 8 and load them on files in my pictures, then just hit upload a file and search for the pic I want. It's very easy. If I can do it anyone can! I hate technology. Still have a flip phone! haha....... One of my wild trees, fruited just right......

DSCN3318.JPG

Maya - post #62 ........ Thanks for the info on scoring. I'll try it come spring and see what happens. I have a couple trees that have gaps between laterals of 3 to 4 ft. Those trees are only 4th leaf. I'm thinking I need to have more laterals to be building wood for fruit loads.

As far as pix - I've taken a load of them, and I don't have a " smart phone " to be able to use the tapatalk thing you guys mention. The pix are on a digital camera and my wife and I can't seem to get them to go from the camera to the forum. I have to get off my a$$ and ask my other neighbor to show me how to up-load them to the forum. He's a computer programmer, tech-y guy who I'm sure knows how to do that. I have a GOB of pix of the trees at various stages of growth, and some of the camp's surroundings and spruce plantings, pond, etc. My neighbor refs soccer games in the area and he also travels for his job. I see him about twice a month. When I see him next, I'll ask him to show me how to up-load the pix from the camera.[

I hear you Bows, I'm not very good at posting pics. The ones I have posted my wife helped me with.

I have Windows 8 and load them on files in my pictures, then just hit upload a file and search for the pic I want. It's very easy. If I can do it anyone can! I hate technology. Still have a flip phone! haha....... One of my wild trees, fruited just right......

View attachment 9579

My pics are all in my (1st rd of grafting thread). I must say I don't understand why people cut them wild trees down to graft a known variety too. I get choppin a limb off to graft some diff varieties to it but the whole tree? Seems like I've seen lots of folks doing that lately.

Love it Maya!

My pics are all in my (1st rd of grafting thread). I must say I don't understand why people cut them wild trees down to graft a known variety too. I get choppin a limb off to graft some diff varieties to it but the whole tree? Seems like I've seen lots of folks doing that lately.

Love it Maya!
I've done it for several different reasons BV. Diseased trees, poor disease resistance, trees that didn't produce well, poorly formed trees, trees that put out not used fruit, putting on a variety that has great traits. These are some that hang very late and the deer love them. They replaced trees that had tiny fruit that the deer didn't bother with.

DSCN2240.JPG

Maya - I have a flip-phone too !! If I toted a " smart phone " around with no screen protection ( I work in heavy building construction - electrical ) the phone would be busted up in one day !! My work has no ties to tech-y gadgets like smart phones, laptops, Kindles, tablets, etc. I recently tried to take a pic with my wife's " smart phone " and tried lining up the subject by putting my eye up to what I thought was the viewing window, only to hear roaring laughter from my wife and one son. I had it up to my face like an older, regular camera used to take pix !! After they wiped the tears from their eyes ( laughing ), they told me to hold it out and touch some little spot on the screen. - - - - NOW you know why you haven't seen any of my pix from camp !!!! I consider it an accomplishment that I can communicate on HERE with you guys. I can get a power plant, factory, hospital, school, or anything else wired for power, light, data, phone ........... but don't ask me to use the latest gadgets / processes.:oops: I don't have the time to keep up with all the new stuff that comes out almost on a weekly basis anymore. If it comes to reading a booklet on how to use a " smart phone " or going to camp to tend the land / trees ............. I'll be at camp !!!!! ( even if I'm the source for roaring laughter for my family ) :)

I'll get the pix on here, but I'll need the neighbor's help. My wife can't make them work either. If I could push 1 button and get all my pix on here, you'd have plenty to look at. I have lots of them !!

You all have some great looking trees.
Both my orchards are pretty new, I pinched off almost all the little apples on my trees to get them to grow wood for now.
Only left them on one because it has grown so well, yellow delicious about 12' tall it's got a few golf ball size;

Some pics for the orchard this morning. All trees were grafted in the spring of 2015 and planted that fall. Only let one or two apples mature on each tree.
Goldrush.
7-27-16%20007_zpsvsxq2q2n.jpg

Myers Royal Limbertwig.
7-27-16%20010_zpslly59b2u.jpg

Galarina
7-27-16%20015_zpsru30yr69.jpg

Brushy Mt. Limbertwig.
7-27-16%20021_zpsy5hzlshh.jpg

Crazy Ed's Airport Apple. Showing some car damage on the leaves but fruit look fine.
7-27-16%20023_zpsvvtxfejd.jpg

Washed Russet. Also with some car damage.
7-27-16%20031_zpsenaxl0ke.jpg

Newt Grindle with some insect damage.
7-27-16%20034_zpspumpqcpm.jpg

Some pics for the orchard this morning. All trees were grafted in the spring of 2015 and planted that fall. Only let one or two apples mature on each tree.
Are you freakin kidding me rick? Look at the caliper size of these treers, they all have fruit and they were all grafted just last spring? I'm never showing pics of my stuff again.
16-128.png

A few pictures of apples taken while at camp yesterday. It has been extremely dry so most of the fruit is smaller than normal for this time of year. Bonkers planted in 2013.IMG_5099.JPG