What are they lookin like?

A Gala I changed over to Zestar! 2 years ago.

DSCN3252.JPG

Honeygold....

DSCN3264.JPG

I will share a few pics I took today. All my apples are all no spray, so they aren't going to look as good as professional orchard apples.

Yates - very late ripening

American Summer Pearmain. I'm eating these now - delicious, but not a good no spray apple.

Liberty. These should have been thinned some for larger size.

Betsey Deaton.

Myers Royal Limbertwig.

Priscilla.

Brushy Mountain Limbertwig.

Summer Champion. A cultivar once sold by Stark Brothers.

My pears aren't making my mowing any easier.

PS: Forgot to take any pics of Terry Winter. One of the best looking apples I have this year. Ripens in November and has a very nice first crop. Showing extra good DR too.

Forgot to add this one. An unknown Crab Apple variety that appears to be almost ripe. Small tree fruiting for the first time. I will try some next week when I am back at the farm.

Also - Old Fashioned Limbertwig. First crop - small tree - November ripening,

Last edited:
Maya have you sprayed any of those 2015 grafts with Promalin to induce feathers? I have been having real good luck with that once I found out I had to add surfactant.

No, they have feathered pretty good. Here's another pic of this years.

DSCN3255.JPG

These are some Ida Red's I changed over to Liberty in 2014. They could probably use some more feathers. How/ when did you apply Promalin.

DSCN3234.JPG DSCN3234.JPG DSCN3234.JPG

Last edited:
ooops.... Yellow Transparent, I think. Found it on a roadside about 15-20 years ago and dug it up. Real sweet tasting and huge apples. Deer hammer this thing! So much for the theory that they like small apples.

DSCN3230.JPG

Last edited:
Maya have you sprayed any of those 2015 grafts with Promalin to induce feathers? I have been having real good luck with that once I found out I had to add surfactant.
Turkey

Where do you buy this stuff. It seems it has a lot of advantages and is relatively safe as a spray. How often do you spray and how much did you pay? I read an article about it being benefit to fruit set even with late frost events

You can Google Win Cowgill's article on using Promalin and Maxcel to promote feathers. It was in Good Fruit Grower magazine maybe a bit over a year ago. I have emailed Win a couple of times because I was trying to come up with the right concentration for small batches and I wasnt having consistent results with my applications. Promalin NEEDS to have a surfactant added, where as Maxcel does not. You apply it to the top few inches of the of the central leader when the tree is actively growing. It then causes the auxillary buds to begin growing into feathers. Generally I see results within a couple of weeks now that I know what I am doing!:) Hypothetically you can apply every 2-3 weeks when a tree is growing strong. So as opposed to notching and painting when the tree is dormant you are applying at a weaker rate during active growth. It does work pretty slick when everything goes right. I applied to some tall spindly pears that have no feathers yesterday, we will see how they react, forgot that Promalin was labeled for them as well. I can give you the mix ratios for Promalin if you decide to try it.

Turkey

Where do you buy this stuff. It seems it has a lot of advantages and is relatively safe as a spray. How often do you spray and how much did you pay? I read an article about it being benefit to fruit set even with late frost events

I got mine from Midwest Grower Supply but I was trying to find a chemical the other day and when I went to their webpage it doesnt show that they sell chemicals anymore. I know the first time I ordered from them I called and they emailed the list of chemicals they sell and prices. They sell spray equipment primarily and maybe the chemicals got to be too much of a hassle. I would call them to find out. I am sure there are other places that sell it as well.

I have two more apple pics to post.

The first is Summer Granny - a tree that will soon be dozed out for a new road. I'm saving this tree via root sprouts and grafting. Look at the leaves. They are as spotless as any PRI apple I have ever grown. This is a massive tree, and I saw no FB on a single limb this spring. Tree is down the road from my house in what used to be my neighbors yard. House has already been moved.

The next is one of my Black Limbertwigs that was moved with a backhoe last year. I had two of these trees producing great. Both are struggling a little this year because of being moved but both have just a few apples. This cultivar is highly DR. I'm seeing some leaf spotting this year just because they are under stress from being moved. I love this apple.

Thanks TC. I can get it from CPS but wanted to see about your results. Next spring I'll pick some up. Gala.......

DSCN3274.JPG

Native - The B.L. above is the one you said had to go because of the new road, too - right ??? Is that the one you said you didn't want to lose for any reason ?? If so, I'm glad you could save it. Nice looking apple - how does it taste ??

Maya - Did you switch the Ida Reds to Liberty because of Ida's disease probs. ?? Ida's Reds are a great eater and keeper - I LOVE eating them !! Just wondering.

I have no pix of them, but at camp we have Goldrush, Enterprise, Liberty, all with golf ball-sized apples on them. Some of our SLN trees on Antonovka are gonna need a couple more years to produce - those being Wolf River, Prairie Spy, Sherry, Rhuby, Minnesota 1734, and 5 wild seedlings. You guys have some great looking fruit loading on at your places. Congrats !!

Native - The B.L. above is the one you said had to go because of the new road, too - right ??? Is that the one you said you didn't want to lose for any reason ?? If so, I'm glad you could save it. Nice looking apple - how does it taste ??

Maya - Did you switch the Ida Reds to Liberty because of Ida's disease probs. ?? Ida's Reds are a great eater and keeper - I LOVE eating them !! Just wondering.

I have no pix of them, but at camp we have Goldrush, Enterprise, Liberty, all with golf ball-sized apples on them. Some of our SLN trees on Antonovka are gonna need a couple more years to produce - those being Wolf River, Prairie Spy, Sherry, Rhuby, Minnesota 1734, and 5 wild seedlings. You guys have some great looking fruit loading on at your places. Congrats !!

Bowsnbucks, that is correct. There were actually two of the Black Limbertwigs. I had one and I gave my FIL one. Both were in the path of the new road.

We moved them both, and both trees were big - at least 4+ inch trunks. To top it off, after the move, mine got girdled by a rodent 75% of the way around the trunk sometime during the winter.

It was my favorite apple tree - extra good DR on all fronts, nice large crops and a great taste balanced well between sweet and tart. I covered the girdled part up with dirt, hoping that it will take root above the bad spot. I think both will recover from the move, but time will tell if mine will recover from the girdling. So far it's alive, but you can tell it is struggling.

This is a pic from 3 or 4 years ago of the BL when it first started producing good crops. It set 50 feet from a huge Red Cedar, but you can see that the leaf spotting was minimal.

Last edited: