What’s this?? Wild Millet?

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
F015693D-E734-438D-B37C-03AEB0F9A855.jpeg
What is this? It almost seems out like millet? It’s growing randomly in a few plots. Guessing the pheasants may like it anyway?
Thanks

It looks like browntop millet. Have you ever planted it before in any of those plots. It often comes back on its own.

I saw some in a road ditch today. Nobody plants that stuff up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild Proso Millet, Broomcorn Millet? Pics look very close on Google

1566442796771.png1566442796771.png

Thanks for the replies. Im finding it in 2 different plots ive planted about 30 miles apart. Ive never planted it in either of these plots.

I guess if its millet it should be good for something! I just didnt realize it would grow wild? Ill take it... better than more foxtail!

Looks like young witch grass to me. Here is witchgrass next to my shop
20190822_173353.jpg20190822_173348.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like young witch grass to me. Here is witchgrass next to my shop
View attachment 25817View attachment 25818
My witch grass looks EXACTLY like that right now. Also have a shop that is the exact same color as your's too.
I was thinking the OP had a little more substantial seed heads than the witch grass, but maybe being in a different zone might make it look a little different.

My witch grass looks EXACTLY like that right now. Also have a shop that is the exact same color as your's too.
I was thinking the OP had a little more substantial seed heads than the witch grass, but maybe being in a different zone might make it look a little different.
I think his is early in the seed making stage. I bet it will look like the ones in my pic shortly.i bet it ends up looking like this pic eventually.20190822_180636.jpg

Now I hope you fellas are wrong :)

Ive been looking at several pictures now and resembles the Proso Millet to a "T"!!!

I think the seeds are already much larger than the witch grass... and that witch grass looks a lot more "whispy" and thin... Im not so sure.... plus the stuff I posted is already probably 26"-30" tall.....

We will see. The witchgrass I mowed this weekwas damn near waist high.

Well tell me what you think now guys? I think the seeds are bigger than the witch grass... but it did get “whispy “ looking. It’s probably 2 1/2 feet high now. I’m not sure what millet is supposed to turn out like but I thought it had more of a tassel than this???1A5861E4-FF2E-47DE-BF66-E0C7B4641CC4.jpegFEFD878A-DAC7-4585-A217-F41C4530D47F.jpeg

You can probably ID it by looking at the area where the leafs attach to the stem. Otherwise assume it's the worst of the two and treat according. :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Either way, whatever it is it looks like something birds will eat! Its about ready to freeze now. We'll worry about it next season and hope I get my plot seed to germinate before the weeds do.

Thanks for your input!

VELVET DICHANTHELIUM maybe?