Weekend cold front

bueller

Lots of hype about hunting cold fronts in October. For those of us that are weekend warriors the timing doesn't always work out. This weekend looks promising except for the winds on Saturday, hopefully they die down late afternoon. Anybody else hitting the woods this weekend?

I have been on the edge of my seat all week waiting for this cold front that is going to move in tonight/tomorrow morning. The timing could not be better for us weekend warriors. There is going to be high winds, but you can't have everything. Good luck to all hunting!!

I will be making my first morning hunt of the year tomorrow.

I LOVE hunting fronts or significant weather changes and the more dramatic the better. I have walked out to a shooting house before in the pouring rain, knowing the rain would stop in an hour with about 2 hours of light left. My boy thought I was crazy, but went any ways. He kept telling me how crazy I was....I shot a nice 135" 8 pointer 20 minutes after the rain stopped.

I hope to be out this weekend... weather change or not. Can't shot them from the couch!

As of now I plan to hunt over a food plot Saturday afternoon. Unsure what to do Sunday morning, food plot or woods?

Love habitat work, but this is the time of year where all the planning and hard work pays off. The pressures of the world seem to melt off your shoulders as the woods wake up around you.

I'll be in a first sit stand Sunday morning. Dont have a good stand for a North wind so that nixes anything for Saturday. Things are looking to calm down an switch close to midnight. Entry route is looking to be an interesting one, have to cross a 1/4 of standing corn. Plan to go in ealry with a dim headlamp an a hand pruner to help. Know I'm taking a risk of bumping deer in the dark out of the corn. But am hoping the 3/4 moon will have the deer feeding late into the night an out of the corn around 3 or 4 am when I make my entry.

Pheasant opener is this weekend. Not my thing. Convinced Dad an his friends to hold off till noon Sunday. Got to get it done.

Yep, got out for several hours late yesterday afternoon. Was in lower 50's and winds were high. Good thing is that wind is starting to knock down leaves. Lots of movement & feeding early around 3 pm. They are starting to cut corn around us so things will change a bit. Saw lots of deer and ~6-7 new scrapes with broken shrub & tree branches on my walk in which is a good sign.

Today a high of 42 F and dropping to 25 f tonight. The wind is what it is ... my cams show lots of mid day movement so will try and be out early.

Was prepping a stand this morning for tonight's hunt and this "snow tornado" moved in. Winds had to be gusting near 50. Pumped for tonight. IMG_20181020_100044.jpg

There's only one thing more fearsome than a snownado...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 deg F here, high wings and snow blowing sideways ... no more complaining about the mosquitoes:emoji_grin:

there will be some deer dying in Wisconsin today.

We have a north wind 10-15 and 65 degrees

Brutal ... temp was 34 F with winds & sustained gusts well over 20 mph. The 3' oak I was in was swaying pretty good.

It was 65 with a 35mph wind this afternoon. Sat this one out but plan to be in the stand tomorrow evening.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Deer were moving this weekend. Had a buck try to blast outta a deep ditch to cross a divided highway right before noon today. Fortunately he aborted mission before trying to total my car.

Well the plan came together, the outcome not so much. I had two doe finishing up feeding in the plot on my entrance Saturday afternoon. Nothing for a couple hours until a 7 point stepped out and fed out of range for a while. Wasn't interested in shooting him at this point of the season. He eventually trotted off the plot with a purpose. 10 minutes later I found out why. A big 10 comes into the plot from the other direction. Best buck I've had a chance at killing. He stood broadside, completely still, feeding in one spot long enough to convince me that I should take a shot even though I knew the distance was outside my comfort zone, shame on me for not showing enough restraint. Long story short, I did hit him, pass through, waited over 4 hours before starting a slow track, found bed couple hundreds yards in, no blood trail leaving bed, search for body and blood trail all day Sunday, hired a dog to track. No recovery. Should've waited overnight but I'm not convinced that he wasn't out of the bed on his feet before we even started to track. Hope it wasn't a fatal hit.