All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weed/grass prevention for corn and beans???

Garrett2006

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have tried and true herbicide program or steps they take when planting corn and beans for tillage applications not no till? Also, needing to be able to buy without a license. Wanting to mount the sprayer onto the planter for spraying while planting. Also have a sprayer for an ATV for spraying after planting. Needing a program that works for grass & weeds. I do have round up ready crops. Reading so much lately on this and that residual 1 step or 2 step. Just looking for someone to tell me the steps that works so, I can do the same! Thanks

If you're disking it should be weed free at planting time.

I no till and as for spraying I've sprayed immediately before and after planting. Both work

I agree with bill. if you are going to use significant tillage and plant immediately afterward, you won't have weeds when you plant. Tillage disrupts weeds, but brings more weed seed into the germination layer. They will be on relatively equal footing with your beans and corn at the start. Unless you have a specific problem with a gly-resistant weed, you simply wait until the newly germinated weeds are 2" - 3" tall and spray your crop with glyphosate. When weeds are young and supple like this, most are very susceptible to glyphosate. (Glyphosate is the generic form of Roundup). Roundup Ready crops are genetically modified to be resistant to glyphosate. So, most weeds are killed and your crop is not. There is hno license required for glyphosate.

This is the traditional way farmers planted beans and corn for many years. There are some issues with it. Tillage has a substantial negative impact on soil. If you are have prime farming soils, they can tolerate tillage abuse for many years and still produce well. The more marginal your soils are the sooner the cumulative impact of soils evidence themselves.

Unless you have a no-till drill or planter, you may not have any other option for large seeded warm season annuals like beans and corn. Two issues result from applying this method year after year. First is the soil issues I already talked about. The second is that some weeds have a natural resistance to glyphosate to some degree. Those with the most resistance won't die and the others will. The next generation of weeds will have the genetics from those that survived. Over time you end up with a field that has weeds that can no-longer be controlled by glyphosate.

You can read on other threads that Bayer now has a new genetic modification that makes beans and corn (and other crops) resistant to a new herbicide. Many farmers are now turning to this because the RR/Glyphosate combination no longer works for them, but it is expensive. This glyphosate resistance problem is just as big of an issue for no-till planting but no-till methods don't have the soil issues compounding things.

So, as Bill says, mounting a sprayer on a planter you are using after tillage has no real advantage.

With a no-till drill or planter, a cutting wheel up front to cut thorough debris, and opener to open a small trench in the soil, and some cultipacker or closing wheel to close the trench after the seed has dropped in. These drills are heavy and can plant through a heavy crop like winter rye. The Winter rye or, whatever the previous crop was, needs to be terminated so it does not compete with the planted crop. Folks do this with either a crimper, which breaks the shaft, or by spraying with glyphosate. So, in a case like this a sprayer on a drill would allow both to be done in one pass.

The reason I'm talking about no-till is that the same concept may be used for min-till. With minimum tillage, you may be able to use a regular planter or drill like a no-till drill. You might be able to get min-till accomplished with a disk if the soil conditions are right and you have it set very non-aggressively. My experience is doing it with a tiller. I lift it so high that it is only engaging the top inch of soil. This disrupts many of the weeds mechanically and mixes small amounts of soil with them. The soil microbes help them decompose faster. Enough weeds will survive this, if done correctly, they you still need to spray with glyphosate as you plant. This very light tillage has significantly less negative long-term soil impacts than deeper tillage and it is often sufficient for a regular planter or drill to get beans and corn planted deep enough.
Hope this helps,

Jack

I was thinking that if I sprayed a pre residual at planting even if I tilled before planting. The residual herbicide would last a good while on the soil thus allowing the crop up get up and established before having to go back and spray with round up. Maybe not though. Thanks

I have considered doing what Jack mentioned above. There were trials in Wis. that they were having success with drilling through established clover and banding herbicide in the rows. There is a breed of corn that is called bronze orange. It is an heirloom variety and only grows 3-4' tall and has a 75 day maturity. The seed is expensive but I may just plant a couple of rows on the outer edge of one of my plots for a couple of seasons harvesting the seed until I have enough to plant a 1/2 acre. I have access to an old corn planter (horse drawn at one time) The common row spacing at that time was 40". I figure with that spacing I can either have a low growing clover between the rows feeding the corn or would maybe go back through it 2-3 weeks later planting peas between the rows, letting the pods mature and also feeding the corn at the same time. There was a thread on here several years ago where a guy from I believe Canada swore by "mature dried down field peas" being the best game in town.

I was thinking that if I sprayed a pre residual at planting even if I tilled before planting. The residual herbicide would last a good while on the soil thus allowing the crop up get up and established before having to go back and spray with round up. Maybe not though. Thanks

There are pre-emergent herbicides that will prevent some weed seeds from germinating. Tillage brings more weeds seeds in to the germination layer, but a pre-emergent herbicide can keep them from germinating. This is more often used with non-RR beans and corn. Since the first spraying if RR beans with gly will take care of these young weeds, it is easier, less expensive and more effective in most cases than a pre-emergent. Since you don't have the option of spraying gly after non-RR beans and corn germinate, most folks burn down the field with gly and/or use a pre-emergent herbicide.

Thanks,

Jack