Warm season grass varieties southern IL

i've never had enough land or acreage to put in a stand of WSG that'd make a real difference. That changes in the spring of 2020 and I'm pretty excited about it

I did ~7 acres of it 5 or 6 years ago. It was in 3 patches of open pasture near each other. It took a few years, but it really changed the dynamic of that end of the farm. Without a doubt, deer, including big bucks will travel in daylight through it and along it's edges, transitioning to where we want them to be. I can't add to the discussion of what a large field of it would be like. I've heard more good things, as far as bedding and holding deer, but I've also read a few guys over the years say it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I'd probably do it anyway. In my situation, I love what it did to the use and flow of a more open piece of ground that lays between off-farm bedding and our on-farm feeding/socializing ground.

He kills some absolute giants but Nothing Higgins does is without a sales pitch of some kind despite always saying it isn’t. He has fantastic luck with his mix and I have heard a lot of people recommend it most of them either are on staff with Rww or sell his products when I start asking questions. He lives and breathes whitetail deer for sure. I don’t believe that his mix is different than a commercial variety of some kind. I also don’t want to pay a premium for nothing or have a flat field after the first snow hence the question. I appreciate the responses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's your perogative, but if like you said, the guy kills giants, has good success with what he has, and lives and breathes whitetails, wouldn't that be a decent reason to pay a premium from a guy who has hands on experience doing this? Rather than a distant seed company for a couple dollars a pound cheaper who tries to make up for that by pushing volume thru?

I don't have a dog in the fight, but we're all making a sales pitch at work every day. To a client or our boss, if we're not showing why what we do makes us worthwhile, we'll be out of a job. He just has to do it more directly than you do. He's in it to make money. If he'd kill a bunch of deer and never tell anyone what he's using, the seed he's trying to make a living off of, he'd be an idiot. Can't have it both ways.

I'm sure there are other options out there, but the next guy on here who says his stuff is sub par will be the first I've seen. That's a pretty good endorsement isn't it?

It won’t be a couple dollars is the issue, but yes that is why I am torn, his mix looked to be about double the cost of normal varieties. I appreciate the help. His property is something special for sure but I don’t think his mix is the reason he is killing 180+ see on his property every year. And yes I know not every deer he has killed lately has came from that.

He kills some absolute giants but Nothing Higgins does is without a sales pitch of some kind despite always saying it isn’t. He has fantastic luck with his mix and I have heard a lot of people recommend it most of them either are on staff with Rww or sell his products when I start asking questions. He lives and breathes whitetail deer for sure. I don’t believe that his mix is different than a commercial variety of some kind. I also don’t want to pay a premium for nothing or have a flat field after the first snow hence the question. I appreciate the responses

FWIW , I absolutely have nothing to do with RW anything. Never met Don, talked to him on the phone, emailed or other. You asked for people who had experience with products of WSG mixes and their results.
They are taller, thicker, stand up better in winter in snow and ice compared to all the other varieties mentioned on this thread that I have used. I have even used a couple more not mentioned.
FYI in case anyone else I under the impression that I'm advertising for RW seeds instead of giving my honest results after trying several different mixes and mixing my own with the most popular varieties on thousands of acres.
Couldn't get my one pics to post, that was the best video to show the actual product I had the best luck with. When they are walking in the WSG for the recovery that is the best comparison to other mixes.
I'd just compare to the last time you tracked a deer in a WSG stand. Was it that tall and thick ? That's how our mature stands look for height/and difficult to push through. Figured the video would be harder to fake for an "advertisement " on his part. Still shots you can mess with angle/depth, etc for comparison. Cant fake that with a video, that's why I chose that. Not as a "plug for RW".

That's been my experience:-)

Thanks for the reply’s I have zero experience with wsg besides the 2 acres I planted at my house and the forums here and Iowa whitetail. I am good with paying the extra if it makes sense.

Does this plan work -- use N.H.'s suggestions of Indian and Little Blue, and/or whatever else species you need in the recipe to be compliant, and then put in several lbs/ac of CIR and Kanlow to beef it all up? Seems to be the answer, without overthinking things too much.

Does this plan work -- use N.H.'s suggestions of Indian and Little Blue, and/or whatever else species you need in the recipe to be compliant, and then put in several lbs/ac of CIR and Kanlow to beef it all up? Seems to be the answer, without overthinking things too much.

That is my plan to see what Nrcs will let me do. I talked to one person that recommended heavy on the switch and leave our most of the other two and let the switch take over