Turnips/Radish Rain forecast....Throw and Mow

Ck1084

A good 3 year old buck
I'm going to try the throw and mow method for the first time this weekend.

It looks like we might get over half an inch of rain this weekend then none in the forecast for a week. Would you plant or wait for more consistent rain?

If you dont get them in you still have plenty of time. I'm further North than you and wont be doing my Brassica for at least 2 weeks.

I’d put them in when you can get them in. The premise behind TNM is to have enough vegetation to mow down over top of your seed to conserve moisture. How much vegetation are you mowing down?

I am zone 6a and won’t sow brassicas until mid August. Since I have converted to TNM I don’t even look at if rain is coming or not.

I'm planting on an old strip job that I am reclaiming (nothing has grown here for 60+ years...not even weeds).

I've been adding tons of lime for the last 3-4 years along with tilling. I started with Buckwheat/WR but the last 2 years I've been adding Turnips/Radish/Oats/Clover. The first plot is a year ahead of the second set of pictures so its a little thicker.

Attachments

• 20190622_124754.jpg
    20190622_124754.jpg
    838.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190622_123554.jpg
    20190622_123554.jpg
    888.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190622_123205.jpg
    20190622_123205.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 26
I'm planting on an old strip job that I am reclaiming (nothing has grown here for 60+ years...not even weeds).

I've been adding tons of lime for the last 3-4 years along with tilling. I started with Buckwheat/WR but the last 2 years I've been adding Turnips/Radish/Oats/Clover. The first plot is a year ahead of the second set of pictures so its a little thicker.
I’d say you’re still light on Biomass but I understand why. I think you are going about it the right way. You may not have the best results because of the soil conditions but what I would consider is sowing your brassicas and coming back a month later and overseeding the entire area with Winter Rye so you have a good stand of biomass the following Spring.

Then in the Spring or early summer you can broadcast things like Buckwheat, Oats, and Millets to give you a lot of Biomass in the fall. Don’t be afraid to add some clover to that fall mix either. I think what you will find is with each year it will get better and better as you change the soil conditions. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the advice. I've kind of been doing some of that, probably just not the right way. I need to add more in the spring so I have more biomass to work with in the fall.

Thanks for the advice. I've kind of been doing some of that, probably just not the right way. I need to add more in the spring so I have more biomass to work with in the fall.

Just up your winter rye rate and add some clover. You shouldn't need to plant anything in the spring.

Unless you have plenty of stuff to mow down over them, 1/2 inch of rain probably won't be enough for the radishes. you're still on the early side for brassicas, so I would wait for more rain if I were you.

And I strongly agree with the comments above, overseed in September with winter rye and red clover, then again with buckwheat and a warm season cereal grain next summer.

Well I have seen a couple summers where it doesn't rain at all in August. I would plant cause this time of year I wouldn't want to miss a rain. JMO

Well I have seen a couple summers where it doesn't rain at all in August. I would plant cause this time of year I wouldn't want to miss a rain. JMO

This is a picture of my TNM plot about 5 weeks after seeding with almost zero rainfall. It is a good rich bottom soil but there was zero fertilizer added to this and (guessing) over 90% of the moisture was from Dew alone.

I say wait. But either way you’re going to be fine. PTT, GHR, and Kale
539742dd8360399a2cc3c1b21b110535.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and did a throw and roll. We received an inch of rain Friday prior to my Saturday planting (2.5-3 inches from Friday through Monday).

I sprayed it a week prior which kill most weeds and the rye was already dead. The clover still looked pretty green, so I was hesitant to spray again after rolling. I figure if the turnips/radish fail, I will at least have a decent clover stand for fall.

Here are a couple pictures of the dead thatch rolled down with just my side by side.

Attachments

• 20190720_124835.jpg
    20190720_124835.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190720_124845.jpg
    20190720_124845.jpg
    779.9 KB · Views: 31
I forgot to add. We are entering a fairly dry spell with no rain in the forecast until 7-30 which is 8 days with no rain. Are you saying the thatch will hold enough moisture that I don't need to worry about irrigation? It's only going to be in the high 70's-low 80's, but I'm worried about the new plants burning up.

You are going to have a great plot. Leave it alone and be patient.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and did a throw and roll. We received an inch of rain Friday prior to my Saturday planting (2.5-3 inches from Friday through Monday).

I sprayed it a week prior which kill most weeds and the rye was already dead. The clover still looked pretty green, so I was hesitant to spray again after rolling. I figure if the turnips/radish fail, I will at least have a decent clover stand for fall.

Here are a couple pictures of the dead thatch rolled down with just my side by side.

CK ... 5 weeks ago this plot was 3' high grass and weeds. Sprayed with gly. Came back 2 weeks later and spotted sprayed areas that did not get hit and some thistles that emerged.

2 weeks ago I broadcasted PTT, kale, DER, GHR, and red clover. Went over with a cultipacker. We got .75" of rain the following day. Had an 8 day dry spell with temps in the upper 80's. Below are pics from this past weekend.

As stated above, be patient, assuming the turnips & radishes made soil contact, they will absorb moisture and germinate. You should be fine.

0719191724.jpg

0719191725a.jpg

Wow that looks really good Tree Spud.

I have done the same thing. Plant the Brassicas and then roll the weeds, Rye, or whatever is growing. If you have weeds don't skimp on the post spray though. Last year I went light on the spray and the Rye and ended up with a lot more weeds. This year I sprayed hard and have a good kill but will follow with a lot more Rye in late August or September and then hopefully I won't have to spray next year as the Rye is so think. Rye also rolls better than most weeds so it lays right over your seeds. Where I did have thick Rye there were no weeds, that's the beauty of Rye.

Chuck